Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I hope there is nothing wrong with my hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lickalime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lickalime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I hope there is nothing wrong with my hair
    Posted: September 03 2007 at 9:03am
I noticed the past few times I've washed my hair that my roots are looking really greasy and crusty

I thought it was due to switching shampoos (I was using Avalon Organic and when that ran out I was using L'Oreal Pro Vive and inbetween Neutrogena Clarafying (sp?))

the rest of my hair feels great.  my bangs are (finally) looking ok and the tangles have toned down a lot.  I just don't know what is going on with my roots.  I don't put conditioner in my roots and I don't put styling product on my roots either.  the products I do use are just some spray in detangler and smoothing stuff

I washed my hair yesterday and my roots are still feeling crunchy and look greasy.  I went tot eh health food store yeaterday and bought JASON organic Aloe Vera shampoo and conditioner.  I'm hoping if I use a natural organic product my hair will (hopefully) feel better.  it's really embarassing to walk around with my hair looking this way.  I don't want to wear a lot of pony's, but I may have to if this doesn't go away

has anyone had this problem before?
I am at 32"
~goal length 36"
SugarCube View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SugarCube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2007 at 5:10pm
ok this may sound weird but put diluted tea tree oil on your scalp. its good for dry scalp which is the cause of your symptoms. the next really scrub with diluted shampoo. hth
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2007 at 5:22pm
Have you ever checked into doing conditioner only washes. It sounds to me like your scalp is reacting to being stripped of to much of its natural oils. I think you are trieing to hard to "clean" your scalp, when what you need to do is to retrain it to produce less oils.
Stop washing it w/ shampoo, and do co only washes. Go as long as you possibly can without using shampoo. When you just can't stand it any more, shampoo, but do not use a clarifieng shampoo just yet.
It might take your scalp a little time, but when it does adjust, you will not have such any oily mess.  
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2007 at 12:27pm
I agree, I think you are clarifying too frequently.  Clarifiers are very drying, and probably making your scalp overcompensate by becoming to oily.  Try just clarifying once a month or once every 2 months, and you can even dilute the clarifier for your roots (I dilute for the root area since I don't cone it anyway, then use concentrated on my length to remove cones).

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
hairbraider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2007 at 6:27pm

Sounds like a reaction to switching from organic to regular shampoo.  L'Oreal is most likely a harsher shampoo than Avalon, so that along with the clarifying is totally stripping the oils from your scalp. 

The advice given so far sounds great, nothing to add. agreed
sarah
40 inches
did henna for the first time
click here to go to My Hair Space
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2007 at 8:37pm
Another (less likely) possibility: has your water's quality changed?  Unless I use my trusty diluted vinegar rinse, the hard water makes my hair stiff, crunchy, and gets greasy faster than normal.
Seraphina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seraphina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2007 at 12:46pm

But conditioner alone can make your hair greasy.  I find conditioner terribly hard to wash completely out - I am there forever rinsing.  Apparently a cold rinse is supposed to be good as well.  There are also dietary factors as well with greasy hair and the more you handle it the more greasy it will become.  You mention a smoothing product you use as well which could be creating problems.

For an attack of the greasies I use a dab of talc, not too much otherwise you'll make yourself grey and the hair turns static.  But it's good for emergencies.
Lickalime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lickalime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2007 at 11:02am
so far my switch to JASON Aloe Vera shamoo and conditioner has been great.  my hair feels awesome and my roots look great

I just got my hair colored and trimmed (inch and a half).  since my hair is darker and (hopefully) Fall is here, I am hoping to not have to wash my hair as often.  since I'm in school my wardrobe consists of hoodies and hats.  I'm not sure I could do CO.  I am very critical of myself and my looks and hair.  if I feel my hair looks too greasy I feel veryembarassed and ashamed of my looks

I'll try to post a picture of my hair soon

Edited by Lickalime - September 09 2007 at 11:02am
I am at 32"
~goal length 36"
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2007 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by Lickalime Lickalime wrote:

I'll try to post a picture of my hair soon

Looking forward to it! Thumbs%20Up 

(I'm sure you're being much too hard on yourself)
Lickalime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lickalime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2007 at 8:50am
thanks Dave Embarrassed
I am at 32"
~goal length 36"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic