Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

chopped hair myself / hair in the workplace

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jmjmjm01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmjmjm01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: chopped hair myself / hair in the workplace
    Posted: September 06 2007 at 3:29pm
last week i chopped off 4 inches of hair myself! i think it turned out not bad (see photo http://picasaweb.google.com/jmjmjm01/UntitledAlbum) and was quite a cathartic experience having always had very long hair and been quite precious about it.

it took ages and i had to do it in tiny bits to make sure it was all the same length but i was quite pleased in the end.

why did i do it! well i'm 23 and started a new, very corporate job at the beginning of august. before i started i spent around 300 dollars at my usual salon getting highlights and a trim. my hair had grown even longer than usual over the hot summer (about 2 inches below the bra strap). i've always always had my hair long but my new job is really corporate and i debated whether to get a shorter, more conservative hairstyle. however i chickened out because i thought my long hair was looking quite attractive at the time.

however, 3 weeks into my role i discovered that my very long hair (which looked great with my casual trendy student clothes) just didn't sit right with my new business suits. furthermore i felt very young-looking compared to my new colleagues. i developed a really strong urge to chop off the bottom of my hair so it was no longer uniquely long but average medium length- the aim for it to sit better over my shirts, make me look less young and make me look more formal.

why not go to a salon? after spending money only a month ago (with another 4 weeks to wait for more highlights) i didn't want to splash out on any more! i also didn't want to ask friends to do it because i felt quite secretive about it, feeling they might put me off it, having only known me with very long hair. so i went for it myself with two mirrors, kitchen scissors and lots of patience!

after the initial shock of having 4 inches less hair when washing/combing etc (as other long hair girls will identify with, 4 inches feels like a lot!) i do like it, think it looks good with my work clothes and feel more confident at work.

i think next time i go to the salon i will go even shorter (maybe a long bob) as i have taken the first big step away from always having v long hair, after which i can always grow it back out if it doesn't suit.

i was surprised that i felt this way about corporate hair in the workplace- has anyone had a similar experience of feeling they needed to cut their hair in their first cororate role?

Edited by jmjmjm01 - September 06 2007 at 4:03pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic