Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

desperate for help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
needhelp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote needhelp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: desperate for help
    Posted: September 12 2007 at 8:38am
I have a square face and some curls, my hair is thin and fine, it is also just above my shoulders.  Most of my curls are in the very front of my face and I can't stand the way my hair looks.  I keep going to the salon for help and they only make it worse.  The truth is I don't want to have to do much with my hair, but I want it to look nice.  Does anyone know what kind of style I can get that will look nice for me?  It is difficult for me to use flat irons or anything else, becuase it always burns my hair.  No matter what I do my hair always gets damaged by styling insturments.  Help Please!
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2007 at 7:50am
Many people with curls don't tend to like shorter styles on themselves, so you may want to consider going longer.  If you do prefer shorter, look at lots of pictures to be sure to choose a style you know you will like after its on you, and that will work well with curly hair.  Curly hair is lovely, so I know there is a style out there that can work for you!

Longer hair is certainly the easiest.  If you don't want to have to do much to it, you just stick it in a ponytail or other updo.  Shorter styles do tend to require some styling to get them to look the way they were intended to when they were cut.  Longer will lay down naturally, and if you use a little oil, bring out your curls.

As for the square face, don't worry about that too much.  Those rules were designed to make everyone need a haircut and give salons money, and also to make everyone look like they have a more oval face.  That doesn't help some people, it really depends on your features and how they work with your face.  So, just choose something you like, and don't worry about that face shape thing.  To make a square face look more oval, you would either have long hair and wear it up, or have very short hair (both equaling nothing around the bottom of the face)...you can try these to see how you feel they make you look, but those aren't rules cut in stone. Just go with something you like.  Good luck!

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
needhelp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote needhelp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2007 at 9:50am
Thumbs%20Up  Thank you for replying, I had forgotten that I had even done this.  I went back to my salon and got another stylist and really explained to her the look I wanted to achieve, not that I didn't explain to other stylists.  I think sometimes they don't really listen or they don't want to give any input.  I picked styles out of books and didn't get good results.  I think a stylist that really, really listens is the answer.  The problem is someone gave me very short layers, which wasn't good for me.  I've gotten my hair cut shorter, but that made the short layers look longer and my hair is looking better and easier to fix.  I don't want the curls and the shorter my hair is the more it curls, so the short layers ruined my entire style.  The stylist told me that if I ever wanted layers to make sure whom ever I went to they started the layers at my chin.  You are right, I don't find the hairdo's for square faces to always look the best on me.
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2007 at 7:05am
I'm glad you got it worked out!  I agree, the best stylists seem to be the ones who care about their job, listen, and really want to help you and give you what you want.  I'm glad you got a good one!

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic