Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

at a hair impasse...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Katja View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: at a hair impasse...
    Posted: October 02 2007 at 10:56pm

Lately it seems like my hair is just dull.  I feel like it's been the same medium-long length FOREVER- long, but no longer than anyone else's, and therefore nothing special.  It's like I look at pictures of myself from the past four years or so, and (with the exception of last fall after cutting 8 inches off) my hair is exactly the same in all of them.  And the only styles I ever put it in are braids and quickie buns because by the time I wake up and get dressed and all in the morning, I only have about five minutes left for my hair.  And it doesn't always look good when I just wear it down, because it's neither straight nor curly- it's wavy whenever and wherever it wants to be.  A lot of times when I wear it down, I end up obsessively finger-combing it and feeling unkempt all day.  I don't like to straighten it more than once a month- if that- for obvious reasons, and curling takes too long (plus my hair doesn't curl very easily). 

Now, don't get me wrong- my hair is in amazing condition and contrary to what my eyes tell me, my measuring tape assures me that it IS growing.  It needs about three or four more inches before it reaches what I consider longer-than-average length (waistband area), which should only take a few months.  When I picture what my hair will look like with four more inches of length, I feel like it's worth waiting for.  But then I start to think how much I also love super-short hair, and how easy it would be for me to just chop all my hair off and be able to do whatever I wanted as far as heat tools and style.  On the same token, I'm afraid I'd chop my hair off and instantly hate and regret it.

This is just me venting, really.  I'm 99.99% sure I'm going to just tough it out and let my hair grow, because I know how much I'll love it once it gets longer.  But I feel like I'll wait five or six months for nothing and my hair won't grow at all- I feel like something will happen, just as something ALWAYS has when I've been in the "growth homestretch", to interrupt my growth.  I feel like I'll be measuring my hair in June and it'll only be an inch longer than it is right now.  Hopefully I'm just being paranoid.

Anyway, what I MEANT to ask in this post was this...: What are some quick, edgy, easy-to-put-together styles you like to put your hair in (other than the standard braid or bun)?  If I'm going to wait for my hair to grow, I'm going to need some new things to do with it while I wait.

Sorry for making this so long.  Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated!!!  Big%20smile

~Katja
"If you're not failing every now and again, it's a sign you're not doing anything very innovative."
-Woody Allen
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2007 at 8:31am
Do you have any hair sticks? Whenever I use mine I always get compliments. Also, french braiding is always fun and different.

Just a thought, 3-4 inches really is not that much. I have really been starting to realize that what we may think is going to take forever because we are growing it, in  reality, it is really not going to take that long. Its like that old saying, a watched pot never boils. Because we are "watching" our hair, it will seam to take sooo much longer, when in reality, it does not. Also, 3-4 inches may seam like it is not there, yet, but I bet if you were to ask people around you, it would look like it practically is. 
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2007 at 2:47pm
     I know what you're saying, Katja. But you've hung tough so far, and you are only several months away from having an impressive LONG length. Hair below mid-back always captures my attention, and judging from guys' eyes, many others as well. (lol)
     Unfortunately, I am a simpleton when it comes to creating nice styles for my wife, and she's not much better. But, there is no such thing as a *bad* style for healthy long hair. Best, Bob Wink

Edited by Bob S - October 04 2007 at 2:48pm
SugarCube View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SugarCube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2007 at 2:59pm
OMG  Katja i know EXACTLY what you mean. I thought my hair wasn't growing at all and yesterday my friend who i haven't talked to for a few months was like WOW  your hair GREW!  So hang in there! Trust me, its not worth it to cut your hair when your this close! and for up dos, side ponys with big hoops are SOOOOO cute! HTH
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic