Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I'm afraid I'm gonna cut it...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tomorrowperfume View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomorrowperfume Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I'm afraid I'm gonna cut it...
    Posted: October 17 2007 at 10:12am
So, my hair is 30", approximately waist-length now. I was looking through it the other day, and I realized that it has split ends, but not at the bottom - the split ends are all up and down the middle. The very ends of my hair are nice and healthy, but I sit in a leather seat at work with those little buttons that your hair gets caught in and breaks it. Now I have the sort of split ends that trimming an inch off won't cure.

Now I've reached that point where the girls at work are telling me to cut it. Keep in mind that it's been at least a year since I went to the hairdresser, and I have more or less straight ends with what were once "face-framing layers" now past my shoulders, although they just blend in with the rest of my hair. The advice ranges everywhere from, "You should get a trim, maybe some layers to spice things up," to "You should take off ten inches."

I like long hair. My bf likes long hair. Why doesn't everyone else?

Anyways, I've got this paranoia about going to get my hair cut because I had short cuts that I hated all through childhood. I get my hair cut maybe once a year, but usually once every year-and-a-half or two years. The last time I went, though, the lady actually apologized for having to cut so much off (about 5 inches) to make my hair even (I had a ridiculousl short-in-the-back-long-in-the-front cut that didn't grow out well.) I would go back to her, but I don't even know if she still works there or really remember where it was; some $10 haircut $50 color place in Plano somewhere.

Would layers kill me? Or just a side-swept bang? Should I color it to a darker brown? My goal is fingertip length, and while I know I won't find any wide approval from my coworkers for that, I don't want to get layers now only to have to wait for them to grow out when my hair is as long as I want it.

Basically, I need advice and maybe a little moral support before I cut it off at the shoulders :-(
30 inches; 2a/M/iii
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2007 at 11:33am
If you like it, you should keep it.  Your coworkers don't get to decide what you do with your hair, its not on their heads and frankly, its really not any of their business anyway.  If your bf likes it also, that's just an added reason to keep it. 

Layers don't usually tend to do much for us with long straight hair, as they just thin it out, and we naturally have a small problem with thinner ends anyway.  It does sound like it might help your hair since you've broken a lot of it in the middle on your chair though.  If it were me, I'd either throw something over the back of that chair to protect it, or wear it up so it wouldn't get caught anymore. 

My point is, maybe consider layers if the "middle splits" are really bad to where you can't stand how it looks, or if the splits are really bad (because they'd climb your hair and set you back).  But if you don't dislike it, just wait until the damage grows out and cut it off blunt as it grows.  You may be able to help the splits by just dusting (cutting right above the split on each individual hair).  Takes awhile to do a whole head, but you'll like the results and you won't need a haircut.  If you do go for layers, make sure they don't use a razor, as this cuts hair in a way that it gets damaged quicker (not straight across each hair).

Its hard to have dyed fingertip length hair, because dye damages it so, but some people do it and their hair looks great.  Really up to you whether you want dye or bangs.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
hairbraider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2007 at 8:19am
Since starting an office job several months ago, I've begun to deal with the haircut talk.  They are respecful enough not to tell anyone how they think it should be, but if someone mentions getting a haircut they encourage the dickens out of it.  I've had to learn to bite my tongue and just avoid the conversation.  I was highly encouraged though when a girl with a pixie-ish style told me she was growing her hair out probably to her waist, and she was exited because it would look like mine. Smile

Anyway, the point is, don't let them enfluence you to do something you don't want to do.  I struggle with extreme splits all over my head, my hair is so fragile.  Wear your hair up more.  (I wear mine down at work maybe once or twice a month.)  Request a different chair, or at least lay something over it.  If your hair gets caught, don't just rip loose.  Take the time to undo it as gently as possible.  Deep condition every couple of weeks.  Avoid layers if you possibly can.  Usually the only people that can have them in very long hair and look good are those with extremely thick hair.
sarah
40 inches
did henna for the first time
click here to go to My Hair Space

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomorrowperfume Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2007 at 1:26pm

My hair is extremely thick, but I was afraid that layers would make it poof out from my head even more than it already does. Wouldn't layers make it harder to put up, which I do three or four times a week at the office? I use a hair comb or ouchless ponytail-holders most of the time, although the ponytail is just as bad as leaving it down in terms of split ends. I should probably practice braiding my own hair cyclops

HairBraider, there was a lady in my office building who had wavy, thick hair to the tops of her thighs, and every time my coworkers caught sight of her they'd make fun of her and say things like, "The last two feet of her hair are dead! I'd like to just cut them off!" I hadn't seen her around in a while, but one of my coworkers told me that she cut her hair. I guess she just doesn't stick out to me anymore. I just know that long hair can be healthy and attractive, despite those who don't like it.

If I go to a hairdresser, what is the probability that I will come back with mangled short hair? I probably need a trim, or something, but I'm afraid.
30 inches; 2a/M/iii
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2007 at 3:11pm
     Hi TP! I attempted to post twice yesterday, but something funky was causing an error. Anyway, please do notice that it is "girls", err...*women*, who are cajoling you to cut. Y'know, the same types who ridiculed the formerly thigh length gal! Many women can be catty and envious of others who are garnering attention. Nothing would satisfy these gals more than to take another scalp, so to speak, to add to the one they may have just taken.  Believe me, their own guys may have glowingly commented about you or the other woman. No gal wants to hear these things from her s/o, and such notice only strengthens the resolve of the jealous to bring her "competitor" down a peg.
     Your b/f loves your hair, as do you, but you are now nitpicking flaws thanks to the rotten remarks. My bet is that your b/f's opinion is but a grain of sand on a beach of male thought. Blessings, Bob Big%20smile
     P.S. I very much agree that layers make it difficult to do anything but throw the hair into a ponytail. And they rarely look good on straight hair, as Susan notes. Oh, yes, ther are very few stylists who can be trusted with long hair. I'll post about this soon.
     P.P.S. If you want to watch the rude critics turn a mixture of red and green, fluff your hair from the back playfully next time they comment, and smile broadly! They'll know you are on to them. LOL

Edited by Bob S - October 18 2007 at 3:14pm
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2007 at 7:22am
It sounds like you have some particularly anti long hair people in your office.  I agree with Bob too, its almost always malicious jealousy of something they don't have that looks better than them.  I'd probably just wear mine in updos so they didn't ever know it was long (Its a shame I know, but that's is just what I'd do anyway.  The other option is one day you just get so sick of them being jealous and malicious and say something snappy to them and then you have stress in the office, and that can be more annoying than the former....of course there are always ways to say anything you need to, if you chose to, phrased properly, you just have to do it before you're really mad...)

You get to decide how much the hairdresser cuts off, you are paying them to do what you want.  You can bring a ruler and say "I want exactly this much cut off, no more", and the second you see something longer than that hit the floor, hop out of the chair.  Yes, layers would make hair stick out of upstyles a little more, you are right.  I think that is the main reason messy upstyles are so common these days, because everyone has layers.  If your hair is thick, you can pull it off better than others, but if your hair is straight it will just thin out the ends.

Edited because I was interrupted during original posting

Edited by Susan W - October 19 2007 at 7:47am
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Sunsailing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunsailing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2007 at 7:51am
Tomorrowperfume,

It sounds like you need a split-end trim. Have you ever been to a GM (George Michael) Long Hair Salon? They specialize in long hair. They do a split-end trim that follows a special technique. I get one about twice a year, whenever I feel my hair is getting more easily tangled, etc. It takes about 30-45 minutes for them to do. It's amazing to watch because it looks like barely anything is being cut off. I usually also get the one hour GM condtioning treatment while I'm there.

I don't know where you live, but here is a list of GM salons that I'm aware of....

1)George Michaels of Beverly Hills, Beverly HIlls Ca. 310/282-0957. Jessie Martinez http://www.georgemichael-longhair.com/

2)Studio 839, Encinitas, CA. 619-438-9839. Maryanne Hanwkins or Denise Zummo

3)Tammera's for Long Hair, Ormand Beach, FL 904/677-1064.

4)Ginisa Beauty Salon, Narranga, FL. 305/247-4804. Isabel Molina

5)Scissors Wizards, Linwood, NJ. 609/653-4247. Susan Tichinelly

6)Rapunzel's Salon, Columbus, OH 614/445-7650. Dave and Darlene Barrett

7)The Class Act, Chillicothe, OH 614/773-2611. Dave and Darlene Barrett again

8)Jan Michaels, St Thomas, Virgin Islands 809/776-1151. Michael Cabucangan

9)Farlows Salon, Atlanta, GA 404/256-3255. Charles Farlow or Brent Jones http://www.fabuloushair.net/

10)Upstage Hairdesigners, Richmond, VA 804/358-1916. Gladys Chippenden

11)George Michael of Madison Avenue, New York, NY 212/752-1177. Maria Matarrazzo http://madoralonghairheaven.com/

12)Bill Mahavier, Frisco, TX 469/233-3504. Bill Mahavie http://www.lovelonghair.com/products.htm

13)Long hair studio, Plano, TX 214/668-6122. Jim Butchee

14)Catherine's Salon, Woodbridge, VA 703/494-5445 http://www.catherinessalon.com/

15)Enchantress Salon, Olmsted Falls, Ohio (440) 235-8550 http://www.enchantress.com [This is the one I go to.]

16) http://www.downyourback.com/

tdouty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdouty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2007 at 8:00am
I agree with what everyone else says.  It's your hair and if you like it and your boyfriend likes it, then you do what you want to do and try to ignore what the shorties are saying.  They're envious...they don't think so and wouldn't admit it, but they probably are.  You will have to do something though about the damage being caused by the chair since it's an everyday thing.  Like Hairbraider suggested, ask for a different chair....say it's bothering you back or something or else lay a favorite blanket or something over it.  Tell people the blanket is sentimental to you and that's why you wanted it at your desk.  Stay in touch here and let us know how things are going.

1c.m.ii
36" as of January 14, 2008
SugarCube View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SugarCube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2007 at 8:00pm
yeah i dont think you should cut it but you should really ask for a diff chair

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomorrowperfume Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2007 at 10:04am
OK, so I've sneakily switched out my chair ninjaso the breakage should stop.

Sunsailing, I didn't even know that there are long hair salons! Are they extremely expensive? Something tells me that even if they are, they are worth it. I'm totally going to get a split ends trim... and the hour long conditioning treatment? That sounds like a spa treatment! Heart I love people taking care of my hair for me! I live within 30 minutes of two of those salons on your list, so I'll definitely give them a visit.

Thanks for all the support... I guess those shorties must be just jealous, but their hairspray-glued curls and flat iron-fryed layers are pretty. I'll admit that I'm a little jealous, because I can remember when I didn't have to think about my hair at all. I will endeavor to stay strong, though!

Thanks guys!
30 inches; 2a/M/iii
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic