Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Whats my beautician doing?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
multicoloredmop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote multicoloredmop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whats my beautician doing?
    Posted: October 24 2007 at 9:02am
I have dark brown hair. My roots are about 1 1/2 inches of gray. Alot more strands that are longer throughout. Its resistant as most grays are. My beautician uses Redken color-semi. I really dont want to go to permanent color. Im guessing shes not leaving the color on long enough because it seems too light with a reddish tint and when it fades, its orangy brassy looking. How can I get that med-dark brown color without using something with too much blue or green as it fades? Wheres the happy medium?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote multicoloredmop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2007 at 8:49am
Does anyone have any advice or suggestions for me. I go tomorrow to have my hair colored and honestly, Im not sure whether or not to let him do it . Thanks in advance.
Rebekah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebekah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2007 at 11:01am
Try a permanent color and then use toners in between touch ups.   This might help. 

Rebekah
julesyjul88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2007 at 3:13am
Um,ask her to use a darker color?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote multicoloredmop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2007 at 6:38am
Rebekah & Jules, Thanks for replying. I see you ladies on here alot and thought you 2 may be able to help. A permanent color has been used a couple of times. It didnt do any different except dry out my hair more and faded as a semi would. She is already using a dark color and thats why I dont understand it. Thats why I say maybe shes not leaving it on long enough because it is so resistant.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2007 at 7:06am
I dont know alot about coloring grey hair,but from some of the posts I've read,it seems yours is a common problem. At least with darker colors,some find it much easier to color the greys blonde.

Have you tried using a color depositing shampoo for inbetween colorings?
I use ARTec cocoa bean,I ordered it online,and it really helps keep my color from fading.
All hair colors fade,whether we have greys or not. That is the great thing about color depositing shampoos.
Also,one a half inches of roots is a long time to go inbetween colorings.(about 3 months?)
I color every six to eight weeks.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote multicoloredmop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2007 at 9:01am
Ive tried Tressa watercolors a couple of times. It does nothing but dry out my hair and make my scalp itch. Funny thing, not 3 months but 6 weeks ! Thats when I last colored ! Ill try the Artec, thanks for suggesting it. If anyone has to be weird here, its my hair ! LOL
Rebekah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebekah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2007 at 12:26pm

Tips by Robert Craig

Grey hair a little resistant?

Start your color application in those hard to color areas like the temples and hairline. This will assure that the product is on those stubborn areas the maximum time. You can also mix a small amount of color, apply it to those areas only, then time for 15 minutes. After that, mix the rest of the product and reapply to those areas first and then to the rest of the hair. This can really help by maximizing the time the color is on the resistant areas.
For better grey coverage make sure of the following - the hair is clean - enough color is on the hair that is stays wet during whole processing time - you can reduce the water by 1/2 ounce to make stronger pigment - you can increase the time on the roots for an hour rather than 45 minutes - try any of these or a combination.

Here's some tips from Robert Craig...maybe this will help a bit.  It's really hard to say what your colorist is doing or using, have you asked him/her about it yet?  Maybe you need to try a different brand of color.  I noticed for myself that L'Oreal makes my hair warmer than I like, but Clairol seems to give my hair a more natural look.  Hope this helps.

Rebekah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote multicoloredmop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2007 at 2:42pm
Thank you for posting that Rebekah. She starts with my roots, only leaves it on for 20 minutes under the dryer, then through the rest of my hair for 10 minutes. Then coolong maybe 5-10 minutes at most. I hadnt thought about another brand of color. I thought Redken was pretty good. I didnt realize there was that much difference in them. Ill mention that to her and these other suggestions. I appreciate your help !

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2007 at 5:17pm
Your hair grows one and a half inches in 6 weeks! I'm impressedSmile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote multicoloredmop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2007 at 7:28am

Jules, Thats another thing. Im not so sure it does grow that fast. It never has before. Im thinking the color is just fading completely out on the gray within 3-4 shampoos ( I use shampoo and conditioner for color treated hair) and the rest is just turning red/brassy. I only wash my hair about 3 times a week. I chickened out going to the salon yesterday. I feel like if going to her for a whole year and she can never get my color right, I need to change, so I made an appt. with someone else in a different salon for today. Ill let you all know how it turns out.

Thanks !

Slipknothartgir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slipknothartgir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2007 at 1:59pm
if your color fades to fast.u can also try a color condtioner.I'd read online about it first.It's called Artec color.It deposits color on the outer shaft of the hair.It adds color & keeps it from fading.U have to order ot online though.Type in Artec color condtioner & it will show up.They have alot of diff.colors.That way your hair color won't fade so fast.Plus, u can use it in bwt colorings, so u don't have to color it as much.It's good for your hair to.I use it to keep my red vibrant.I will warn u, don't order it from USA Beauty Supplies!I ordered mine & I never got it.I called the postoffice.They said it was shipped there & that the carrier must have took it somewhere else.Well, the place I ordered it never would call me back or e-mail me back about it, so I got my money back in my account from my bank.It's rude of them to not even care about my item.U can also get it from e-bay to.Good luck!

Edited by Slipknothartgir - October 27 2007 at 2:01pm
Slipknothartgir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slipknothartgir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2007 at 2:03pm
Oh, I almost forgot!I'd get it in Hazelnut or Walnut.Those r both really nice browns.U can use it eveytime u shampoo.trust me your hair will be nice & shiny to.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2007 at 3:04pm
multicoloredmop,you are right that doesnt sound like your hair is growing that much.
I'm glad you made an appointment with a new person. I hope it goes well for you.Smile
jillibeaners View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jillibeaners Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2007 at 5:02pm

Hi there...I don't know if you've already fixed your hair dilemma or not but I thought I would let you know anyway....I have a lot of experience with a lot of different color lines. I'm guessing from the way you described the way your stylist processes the color, it's Redken "Shades EQ" semi permenant color that she's using. She is using the correct proccessing time, just the wrong type of color. Shades is great but it doesn't cover resistant grey worth a darn!! That is why you have long pieces of grey thru out your head, the color is washing off those strands after a few shampoos. You're going to have to use permenant color, once you get to a certain point with grey semi perm. just isn't going to cut it anymore, a sad but true factSmile

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic