Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

bunches of little split ends

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lickalime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lickalime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: bunches of little split ends
    Posted: October 31 2007 at 8:32am
so I've noticed my hair has a bunch of tiny split ends and white dots
is this bad?  the past few days I've been doing a search and destroy, cutting about 20 or more a day.  I have found a few splits that were much further up the length of the hair

should I be worried?  I'm guessing if I got three to four inches cut off most (or maybe all) of this could go away, but I don't want to cut my hair!  especially now that it's Fall, my hair won't grow

I want to reach my goal length

any suggestions?  if I do have to cut it, I could maybe agree to two or three inches
I am at 32"
~goal length 36"
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2007 at 9:47pm
Hi Lickalime,

Given your S&D sessions, your hair is probably getting in better shape than it was a week ago.  Right?  I wouldn't worry at all.  Neither would I cut off 3 or 4 inches from the ends.  Just keep on doing the S&D, and your hair will be in great shape in no time (if it isn't already!).
Lickalime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lickalime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2007 at 9:22am
thanks for the encouragement Dave!
I am at 32"
~goal length 36"
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2007 at 9:19am
If you're only cutting 20 a day, that doesn't sound like much when you are sitting there sifting through your whole head.  You probably have less of those than I do.  I agree with Dave, you don't need to cut that much off.  Just cut off the individual hair above the dot if its a high up one, and get a small trim to take care of the ones on the ends (1/4 inch or 1/8 inch is usually enough...if you cut off that little yourself, its usually not even noticeable so you don't even really have to worry about messing it up as long as you are careful).

Those high up ones are probably caused by something you are doing though, you might want to try to figure out what so you can stop doing it.  Are you ripping through it from the top down with a brush?  Are you using a ponytail holder or other damaging hair toy in that place?

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
tani-lai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tani-lai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2007 at 10:18am
I have been getting these a lot too, and am glad to hear that you don't think they are someting to worry much about, susan & dave.  I was also wondering if I would have to get a trim--and not liking the idea one bit!

31"!!
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2007 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by tani-lai tani-lai wrote:

I have been getting these a lot too, and am glad to hear that you don't think they are someting to worry much about, susan & dave.  I was also wondering if I would have to get a trim--and not liking the idea one bit!

S&D!   S&D!   S&D!  Clap

(channeling my best cheerleader) Big%20smile
PurpleBubba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2007 at 8:09pm
90,000 - 140,000 hairs on a human head.
365 days x 20 per day = 7,300.

We shed 40 - 100 per day. At 100 that would be 36,500 in a year.

36,500 + 7,300 = 43,800 shed and cut.

That leaves you with 46,200 - 96,200 hairs not shed and not cut.

There's plenty more hairs where those 20 came from. :)

ETA: And some of the ones you cut could be shed so that would let you keep even more.

Edited by PurpleBubba - November 06 2007 at 8:10pm
oh*so*sassy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oh*so*sassy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2007 at 5:54am
Originally posted by PurpleBubba PurpleBubba wrote:

90,000 - 140,000 hairs on a human head.
365 days x 20 per day = 7,300.

We shed 40 - 100 per day. At 100 that would be 36,500 in a year.

36,500 + 7,300 = 43,800 shed and cut.

That leaves you with 46,200 - 96,200 hairs not shed and not cut.

There's plenty more hairs where those 20 came from. :)

ETA: And some of the ones you cut could be shed so that would let you keep even more.
\Well, when you put it that way............ Tongue
Really, with that breakdown, it doesn't seem so bad, does it?Smile

I would keep up with the S&D for a while. It took me quite some time until I noticed much of a difference from doing S&D... but after time, you should notice less of the white dots and splits when you go to do your S&D.
Either way, you ARE getting rid of the broken ends and it will keep the hair from continuing to split and cause a break further up the hair shaft.

There are times when my hair does get drier than other times- and I do notice more of the white dots and splits. Could have many causes- environment, change in hair care, water, etc.  I always notice more splits in the winter. Hair rubs against the rough winter coats and scarves, and the air within buildings is normally drier due to heating systems.
tani-lai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tani-lai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2007 at 9:02am
I think  a big part of mine right now is the seasonal change, I just hadn't thought about it.  You would think it would click, what with my skin getting dryer, and my sinuses, that the hair would follow!  Thanks for the wakeup!

And purplebubba, that does make it sound pretty insignificant.  Thans for the perspective! LOL

31"!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic