Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Growing long hair, washing, brushing...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Whitney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Growing long hair, washing, brushing...
    Posted: June 13 2002 at 8:53pm
Hello, everyone!

I have been searching the boards and I am very thankful that all of you take the time to respond and give advice to people who have questions. You`ve been a great help to me! But I have lately been wondering the answers to a few questions...

I take dance lessons and my teacher has very, very long hair (it is a little longer than her butt). She wears her hair up in hairsticks all the time and she told me she washed her hair around every two weeks! I thought this was horrible! I can`t go three days or my hair is very greasy. Her hair seems healthy but is quite ratty...I don`t think she brushed is very often. Well, my questions are: Is it bad for your hair if you only wash it every two weeks? Doesn`t build-up of hair products and oils, etc. harm it? Also, is it OK not to brush your hair?

Another thing, for a few months I haven`t been to the stylist to get a trim because I want to grow my hair to my lower back. It is mid-back now (a tad past my bra strap). Does it matter if I do not get it cut? My stylist always said I had very healthy hair, but I also have the bad habit of brushing it very hard with a plastic brush when it is wet because I have to leave in the mornings very early and sometimes I don`t even brush it at all. Is this doing a lot of damage? I am looking for a natural aniaml hair brush, too. Does anyone know where I can find one? Sally Beauty Supply maybe? I have no clue!

I really, really, really, want long hair. I suppose in the summer many people just chop theirs off because it gets hot, and this summer has been really hot so far! My last question is that, because of the heat (but I have been doing this all year practically), I tightly put my hair up in a bun or hairsticks. Does this harm the hair? If it doesn`t pull on the folicle it is OK, right?

Alright...sorry for all the questions! I just want to start my hair-growing venture right. Thank you!

Whitney
Whitney
Budokan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Budokan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2002 at 9:26am
First, congratulations on deciding to grow your hair. Long hair takes some commitment but I think it is worth it.

Everybody`s hair is different and you will have to find the routine that works best for you. However, there some things that apply to just about everybody.

I know a person with very long hair that waits until her scalp begins to itch to shampoo. I personally couldn`t STAND that! I have a book on proper hair care that says you can shampoo as often as you wish if the shampoo is mild enough. The reason to shampoo is to remove dirt and oil (after a day or two your natural oils begin to break down). If your hair is greasy after 3 days, that would seem to be your limit. Use a good quality mild shampoo and conditioner and treat your hair to a periodic deep conditioner to keep the ends from drying out (I really like Nature`s Therapy by L`Oreal at Sally`s).

Brushing your hair is good - it helps to distribute the oils and keeps the tangles out. Be gentle! It is not a good idea to brush when your hair is wet as that is when it is the most fragile and breakage can occur. A good brush to use is boar bristle and Sally`s carries them.

Getting regular trims is a must. Once a hair shaft develops split ends, the only cure is to cut them off or they will travel up the entire hair shaft. You don`t have to cut a lot off each time but a trim (about every 6 - 8 weeks) will help keep your hair healthy.

For more tips on long hair care try:

http://www.headcoverings.com/Hair%20Care.htm

http://www.augustachronicle.com/stories/012699/fea_124-4033.shtml

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions, I`m sure others more knowledgable than I can help. Good luck and LET IT GROW!! ;)
Whitney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2002 at 12:33pm
Thank you so much! You helped a lot. I went out today and bought a boar bristle brush called "Soft Brush" and I love it! It poofed and detangled my hair. :)

Anyway, I am sorry to say I have yet *another* question. Unfortunately it was "in" to get layers a few years ago, and now that I am starting to grow my hair long, I am worried about them. Should I chop it all off at the first layer? It would be about two inches past my shoulder if I did that. I love the length I have now, though, and I odn`t want to lose it. I have an appointment with the hair choppers next Friday, and I need to decide. Should I just "dust" it and get all the split or scraggly ends off it so I can keep the length, or should I whack it off at the knee?

Thanks again!

Whitney
Whitney
Budokan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Budokan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2002 at 8:39pm
Growing out layers can be a pain but you really don`t need to "whack" it. Regular dusting until all of the layers catch up works fine. You will need patience but it will be worth it in the long run. It is how my wife grew her layers out and her hair is now mid-thigh.

A caution: while my wife was growing her hair several of her friends encouraged her to cut it. "Long hair is out of style." "If makes your face look too round." "NOBODY has long hair anymore!" You get the idea. After it was long however, they changed their minds and "wished" they had long hair. Go figure. Anyway, now that your mind is made up, stick to it and don`t let thoughtless comments or trendy magazine articles disuade you.

Have you seen the Dreamweaver or Crowning Glory braid sites? Wonderful braids and they might encourage you when you get cheesed off at your hair and think about chopping it.

http://www.dcn.davis.ca.us/~klsabin/braids.html

http://www.dreamweaverbraiding.com/

Good luck, hang in there, and if we can be of any further help just let us know. ;)
Budokan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Budokan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2002 at 9:04am
I forgot to mention one other web site - STRESSLESS TRESSES. It is run by a very nice woman named Karen Marie and besides detailing her own hair care routine, she has many styling tips for long hair. Lots of good reading here:

http://www.angelfire.com/wv2/wuvie/STRESSLESS.html

You can also visit the Long Hair Community. A friendly discussion board with other long haired people that are willing to answer questions and share experiences:

http://www.angelfire.com/empire/long_hair_community/home.html

Enjoy! :)
Whitney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2002 at 3:07pm
I have been to "Stressless Tresses" and it is a great site. Thanks a lot for the other links on braiding, etc. - I have been scouring the web lately for sites like them! :)

I am glad I don`t have to do a complete chop...I would lose about a foot of hair if I did! Thanks so much! ;)

Whitney
Whitney
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic