Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I need your suggestions and opinions!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Katja View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I need your suggestions and opinions!
    Posted: November 11 2007 at 8:26pm
I posted almost this exact same thing in my hair journal just now, but I decided I need some feedback from you lovely people:

My hair has made it to 27.5 inches, which is not a terrific amount of growth for one month (1/4") but is still better than no growth at all.  However, the ends aren't doing too well.  They're dry, split, tangly and thin from being dyed twice in Septemer (which I knew was a bad idea, but still insisted on doing- my own stupidity never ceases to amaze me).  I'll be getting a trim this week (hopefully), but I have a feeling this problem won't be solved by just cutting an inch off, especially since search & destroy has only seemed to make things worse. 

Therefore, I'm starting to seriously consider just cutting all of it and starting over, yet again.  Because I hate being stuck in the twenty-something-inches length range- I've been there for years and something always seems to hold me back from going further.

So if I have to cut off more than an inch, I might as well just cut it all and make my hair neck/shoulder length.  I've been thinking about short hair for a while now, but I'm really nervous about how it would look on me, as I haven't had super-short hair since I was about twelve.  Plus I have this fear that once I cut it, it will be gone forever and I'll never be able to grow it again, which is illogical but scary nonetheless. 

I don't know... I always have hair moodswings like this.  I'll have to see what my hairdresser friend thinks.  I really love long hair- nothing would make me happier than to finally reach my hair goal, which is really only 3 or 4 inches away at this point- but I have to wonder if my length is worth keeping with all this damage.  I wish I had never dyed it back in September- I did so well all summer with NOT doing harmful things to my hair!  I think I had a temporary bout of insanity.  But I'm still young, so isn't there plenty of time for me to experiment with shorter styles and THEN go back to growing it long when I'm ready to settle down, so to speak?  But then I might feel like a cop-out by ONCE AGAIN cutting off all my hair just when it's getting extra long.  And there's still the question of whether or not I'll even look good with short hair, and if I cut it and it doesn't look good then I'll have to wait months or even years for it to grow!

Who knows.  I could go on like this forever and still not come up with a decision.  Basically, the only thing that matters is what kind of mood I'm in the day I see my hairdresser friend. 

What do you guys think?  Should I...
a)get an inch cut off, see how the damage is, and keep trying to grow?
b)get a few inches cut off so that all the damage is gone and then keep growing it?
c)get 8-10 inches cut off, experiment with my length/style for a while, then start growing it again?

I hate that I'm in this situation again.  Thanks in advance for your help.

~Katja
"If you're not failing every now and again, it's a sign you're not doing anything very innovative."
-Woody Allen
Longhairdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhairdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2007 at 9:43pm
I understand wanting to try out new styles.I miss messing with my hair.Its all about what your priorities are.Do you want long healthy lush hair.Or do you want short fun hair you can play with? You should definitely take the two week standard to think about what you want.

The damage also might not be as bad as it seems.I would personally just trim off an inch and search and destroy the rest.
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2007 at 9:06am
I agree, take that all important 2 weeks to decide!  I know how you feel, I ruined my hair in '03 (in a permanent way that couldn't even be hidden with dyes), but I didn't mind at the moment cutting it into a bob.  I didn't know if I'd look good with short hair either since I hadn't had it since I was 12 also, but I always liked bobs on people so I thought I'd just do it (since my hair wasn't getting any better...mine was WAY worse off than a little dryness and damage).  Then AFTER I cut it, I realized that growing my hair from my chin back to bsl where I had it would take over 2 years.  That was a LONG wait!  And I wanted it waist length anyway, so that's over 3 years.  I wished I had realized that before I went so short.  Turns out the bob wasn't great on me, but then that was a learning experience too, because now I know I'll keep it long and never be tempted by the bob again, whereas before I wasn't sure.

In short, you've just got to decide for yourself what you need or want for your hair in any given point in your life.  But take that 2 weeks to think about it first to be absolutely sure!
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
tani-lai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tani-lai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2007 at 8:46am
I think I would go with option A, also.  I understand the urge to just cut it all off--that has been a cycle of mine for about 15 years.  It would get about to BSL, get damaged from all the dyeing, so I would cut it to my chin--shorter once, but that was horrible and we won't talk about it.  LOL  Anyway, it seemed that my hair stayed roughly BSL forever, years and years, and it is just this summer that it crept past.  If you cut it all off, then in not too long a time, it will be right back where it is, and you will once again have the feeling of being at this same length forever.  Ultimately, of course, the choice is yours--good luck! 

31"!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic