Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

We all know afro hair grows slow...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
taggi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taggi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: We all know afro hair grows slow...
    Posted: July 14 2008 at 5:35pm
Here's a thought:

Ever wonder why it is that all of the other hair on our body (and I do mean all other hairWink) grows normally and doesn't fall out? In fact, it doesn't seem affected by water at all.

I mean isn't that the biggest misconception about 'our' hair? That if it touches water or gets washed every day it will be damaged and fall out???? It got me thinking, what if we all washed our hair everyday just like every other race that has long, flowing hair? What if that was the reason our hair appears to grow slower and shorter than everyone else?

Just think about it. We use the most products out of anybody else and that causes build up on our scalp. If we washed everyday like every other woman in every other race, maybe our scalps wouldn't be clogged with products and that would eliminate the damage and breaking. I mean, our hair is kind of like a plant and plants need water right?idea

What if yall, what if this was the answer to a long history of hair myths and practices that just make us spend all kinds of money on products and eventually have to side with a wig, weave, or braids cuz our hair is so damaged from being toyed with. All it needs is WATER!!!! Wow, how liberating would that be?mickey
roots126 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roots126 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2008 at 12:29pm
First of all.. A watched pot never boils.  Stop concentrating on growth and concentrate on style.  If you get too anxious, get a weave or do the cornrows for a while.
Jamgurl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamgurl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2008 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by cmesweet cmesweet wrote:

First, our hair grows just as  fast as anyone else. Keeping the hair that has grown is something that each individual must learn how to maintain.  Smile 

and thats the truth right there.
We've been under the misconception that our hair either 'doesnt grow' or grows very slowly....but the truth is, it does grow, and healthy hair grows at the averge .05 inches per month, or more in some cases. The key is to keep that hair on our heads, with proper maintenance, key of which is moisture.
Hair Goddess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hair Goddess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2008 at 2:53pm
bellecheveux
You have very impressive hair growth.  How long have you been using MTG?
Also the ORS replenishing pak, is this a form of protein?
Thanks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hair Goddess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2008 at 2:50pm

Well if you want to know about lacefront wigs blackhairmedia has a section dedicated to those.

Its great that you have found something that your hair likes Thumbs%20Up keep up the good work.
Thanks for posting.  You have so much knowledge.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hair Goddess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2008 at 2:48pm
No problem.
bellecheveux View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bellecheveux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2008 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by Hair Goddess Hair Goddess wrote:

Originally posted by bellecheveux bellecheveux wrote:

I was told to use wave nouveau products on my hair. Does anyone else do this, who has natural or relaxed hair?
I've used Wave Nouveau Moisturizing Lotion on my hair before and it's pretty good.
Does using MN work? and what are the benefits of it?
I've been using an MN mixture and so far, it's working for me. It's used to accelerate hair growth.
Coconut oil's been mentioned a few times on here ... does anyone recommend it?
Coconut oil is amazing. You can use it for scalp massages OR as a sealing oil.
I also use MN and MTG mixtures.  I'm hoping to see "positive" results when I do my 3 month unveiling January 22nd.

Please let me know how it works for you!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hair Goddess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2008 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by bellecheveux bellecheveux wrote:

I was told to use wave nouveau products on my hair. Does anyone else do this, who has natural or relaxed hair?
I've used Wave Nouveau Moisturizing Lotion on my hair before and it's pretty good.
I've been using an MN mixture and so far, it's working for me. It's used to accelerate hair growth.
I also use MN and MTG mixtures.  I'm hoping to see "positive" results when I do my 3 month unveiling January 22nd.

Edited by Hair Goddess - January 15 2008 at 8:13pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hair Goddess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2008 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by Godsflowerrr Godsflowerrr wrote:

Hair Goddess,
To keep my ends conditioned i use a combination of natural oils and hair butters such as avocado butters, carrot oils, olive oil, shea and jojoba oil....just to name a few. I saturate my hair with natural products and wear protective styles when i really want to give my hair a break.  I make my own products which incorporates alot of natural oils and butters and i use it. would just saturate your hair with a lot a lot of natural oils and wear protective styles.

I need to take notes from you because your hair looks really really nice.
I'm 100% natural since 2003 and would be amazed if my hair would grow even S/L.

cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2008 at 7:52pm
Well if you want to know about lacefront wigs blackhairmedia has a section dedicated to those.

Its great that you have found something that your hair likes Thumbs%20Up keep up the good work.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Twinklesxx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twinklesxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2008 at 3:42pm

I would buy a wig or at least try it on to see how the cut looks on you. U can always switch up styles with wigs, thats convient.

That's true. I was thinking about investing in a lace wig. I've seen a rihanna one that I just love! The only thing is the one that the website have done as a 'copy' looks nothing like rihannas picture! So i'm going to have to get it custom made! Confused

A quick hair update, with use of the olive oil and wave nouveau products my hair is growing out quite nicely! I really do think it was the lack of moisture that was slowing my growth and making me think it wasn't growing at all! LOL 

- Twinkles

shortpants630 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shortpants630 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2008 at 12:12am
Biotin vitamins were suggested to me by a licensened(poor speller) beautician.  They can be purchased in the vitamin aisle of the grocery store or pharmacy.  Ask the pharmacists about possible drug interactions.  I am nervous about my BIG CHOP set for the end of March. 
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2008 at 5:58am

I would buy a wig or at least try it on to see how the cut looks on you. U can always switch up styles with wigs, thats convient.

Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Godsflowerrr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godsflowerrr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2008 at 9:17pm
Hair Goddess,
To keep my ends conditioned i use a combination of natural oils and hair butters such as avocado butters, carrot oils, olive oil, shea and jojoba oil....just to name a few. I saturate my hair with natural products and wear protective styles when i really want to give my hair a break.  I make my own products which incorporates alot of natural oils and butters and i use it. would just saturate your hair with a lot a lot of natural oils and wear protective styles.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twinklesxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2008 at 7:23pm

I've already seen a vast amount of growth in the past few weeks. Here's what I changed:

I began using the Organics Olive Oil spray, daily on my scalp - massaging it for about 5 minutes

Began to use a Wave Nouveau moisturiser, then I'd cornrow my hair until my next wash was due...

I've stop using shampoo because I found it very drying for my hair

I now just use Tresemme Conditioner and Tresemme Deep Reconstructing Conditoner (you leave it on for around 5 minutes, then wash - it's really good i totally recommend. You see an instant difference and hair is left so soft and managable, which is a first for me! lol.)

My hair's grown quite a bit now, not really lenghty but it was really short at the back, but now it's improved faster than I thought it would. And it's got longer at the front also.

So i decided that whilst I'm transitioning I should get a 'rihanna' style bob. But i'd have to use heat to straighten, which will damage my hair. So is it worth it? And as my roots are natural now, if i straighten my hair the roots will look 'puffy', is they're anyway to make it flatter or more straight?

I don't no whether i should just get a wig that's shaped like rhiannas cause I really love the style. Maybe that's better for my hair, as they'll be no need for heat?? But sometimes its nice to have your own....

what do you guys think? Please help!

- Twinkles

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hair Goddess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2008 at 12:25am

Godsflowerrr,

Hey!
Would you mind sharing what you use to keep yur ends conditioned and protected?
Would any conditioner do?
Thanks
Godsflowerrr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godsflowerrr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2007 at 8:47pm
I don't think that our hair grows slower that those of other races ....hair usually grows 1/4 inch per month.....but our hair tends to break off just as fast as it grows. this gives the appearance of the hair not growing but it really is......the main goal is to deep condition the hair "ends" so that they won't break leading to retained length. Deep conditioning and protective styles will help you protect your ends.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bellecheveux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2007 at 3:58pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twinklesxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2007 at 4:13am

Hey, about washing cornrows.

How are you washing yours?

When I have cornrows and wash them I try to use diluted shampoo. Then I usually follow with a leave in conditioner, instead of a regular conditioner because it can build up within the braids.   Another suggestion is to wash the cornrows in the direction that they are going in. Most of mine went front to back, so I would go front to back, mainly in the parts to clean my scalp. My hair didn't get too messy that way.

I normally wash and shampoo like I would if I was washing my hair when it's out. Then the next day, or day after - I'll take them out, wash my hair and then leave it for a while to dry. After a couple hours - or the next day I'll cornrow it again. And I too wash them in the direction they go in Smile

I'm still not sure if I prefer this method though....

Here are some questions for you all :

What's the difference between deep conditioning and a hot oil treatment? If any difference, is one better for hair?

Thanks for the help/replies, and if I'm not back on here for a while then everyone make sure they have a

Happy New Year !!!!

xx

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bellecheveux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2007 at 2:51pm
When I had cornrows one time I washed with diluted shampoo in an applicator bottle (suggested by another hairboard). I didn't really like it. I think washing in plaits is better for me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic