Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Coloring bleached hair darker

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
CatherineOst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatherineOst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coloring bleached hair darker
    Posted: December 18 2007 at 11:28pm
Hello! I previously had very bleach blond hair, and it is pretty damaged. I was sick of paying $80 to get my roots touched up every 6 weeks so I decided to dye it darker on my own. It turned out okay but is a little purpley, and I am thinking about dying it the same color one more time to fully saturate the hair in hopes to get rid of the purple. Please let me know if dying it again is a good idea! Thank you :)
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2007 at 7:12am
I wouldn't use the same color.  You got purple because your previously dyed white hair is now very porous, and the color will slide out leaving the base color visible.  It may work or it may go more purple, but either way even permanent hair dye is going to slide out of porous hair like that in about 2 weeks, probably leaving you with a brighter purple.  Go over it again with something that has a gold base (gold / yellow counters violet).  (You will need to buy your dye and developer at a beauty supply shop like Sally where you can see the base of the color written on the dye - they don't write bases on boxed colors, if you want to use one of those you will have to call the company and get a recommendation from them).

Be sure to test strand!
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic