Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Unhealthy hair?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Dee8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dee8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unhealthy hair?
    Posted: January 13 2008 at 9:09pm
I'm in need of a diagnosis for my hair LOL
    I am a male with very long hair. I have always had a bit of trouble with it but I'v decided to not be lazy and figure it out. Lately especially it has been very rough, and not soft and puffy like in the past. When I get out of the shower and brush it, I have knots and its a bit of a mess. I noticed that when I run my hands through it the ends are very rough. I am not a frequent showerer, if thats important.
    Im assuming my hair isn't in perfect shape, so what can I do to improve it and make it soft and puffy again, with no knots? I am unable to run a comb straight through it after a shower, unlike my sibling who has no problems. info/tips/diagnosis would be appreciated. thanks!

Edited by Dee8 - January 13 2008 at 9:11pm
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2008 at 11:32am
You might have split ends, in which case you'd need a small trim (to just above them).  You might have build up from either silicone products, or hard water minerals. 

If your sibling is fine and showers in the same house, its probably not the water.  If your sibling has used the same products you have for the same amount of time, its probably not the silicone buildup.

If its the water, use a dilute vinegar rinse after you rinse out your conditioner (you can find instructions on this forum). 

If its the silicone buildup, buy a shampoo that calls itself "clarifying" to remove the buildup.  Get a trim if you have any splits from the buildup (which you'll see after its removed).  Don't use this shampoo more than once every couple of months for buildup removal because its very drying, and buildup takes a long time to make damage. You will need to condition well after using it (maybe twice). 
Good luck!

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic