Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pixie Cut

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LSUfootball7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LSUfootball7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pixie Cut
    Posted: January 21 2008 at 5:55pm
Pixie cut. I always hear people use the term "pixie cut length". Well, what is "pixie cut length"?
HAWG View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAWG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2008 at 10:20pm
This is too hard a question to answer as there are many different opinions on this.  Here's a site that speaks to this

Hairfinder.com says:

Pixie Cut - The term pixie cut refers to a variety of short layered haircuts. It is also referred to as an 'elfin' cut. The pixie style is cut over the ears and may include wispy bangs. It also may or may not have longer hair on the top of the head. The defining feature of a pixie cut is close-cropped layers that frame the face and lie close on the sides and back of the head. The style originated in the sixties with models like Twiggy, and actresses like Mia Farrow in 'Rosemary's Baby'. Stylist Vidal Sassoon is credited with popularizing the style in its early variations.
I would add Jean Seberg to the list above.

Hairstyle.com says

Choppy and unabashedly messy. A Pixe or 'Elfin' cut is a short layered haircut.  Your face is emphasized with this cut, so you should feel good about your skin and your features if you're going to try this style. This cut has a lot of short, different length pieces, avoiding blunt, even pieces. The main feature is close-cropped layers that frame the face, short and close around the ears and back of the neck. Think Twiggy, Mia Farrow from 'Rosemary's Baby' or Natalie Portman.

Maintenance: Keep it looking good with a monthly trim. Style it by slicking down your bangs, or pushing them to one side for a sweet, girly effect.

Hope this helps.
HAWG
laurie82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laurie82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2008 at 10:13pm
When I think of a pixie cut I am thinking of above the collar or in a tight point in the back.  The sides of a pixie should be above the ear lobes or shorter and short bangs in the front.  My hair is currently just below my shoulders which is the shortest I have ever had it, but my boyfriend is pushing me to get a pixie before we go on vacation next month. I have talked to several of my friends and they agree it would look good on me, so I have plans to have it done in a couple of weeks.
LSUfootball7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LSUfootball7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2008 at 3:55pm
Laurie, that sounds great. I think a pixie cut can be a very sexy cut for women. I encourage you to get one. Keep us posted.
laurie82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laurie82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2008 at 5:55pm
I am on the fence about it, but leaning towards a very short haircut.  It will be a BIG change for me since I have never had short hair, but at this stage in my life for a lot of reasons I think it would be a good move. My plans are still to have it done before the end of the month. I will let you know if and when I go through with it.
fashionista_15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fashionista_15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2008 at 9:08pm
Pixie cuts are great - i went from below my shoulders length to a short pixie cut crop about 7 yrs ago & I get stopped & asked about it often.  It will depend on your hair type though as well as your face shape.  I think a pixie short cut usually looks better with oval shape faces - and the thicker the hair the easier to add more texture & style to it as it won't just flop. 
fashionista_15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fashionista_15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2008 at 9:11pm
oh & to answer your question about what a pixie cut looks like - it's short layers with flicks & short all over (probably only around 2 inches long).  You can play around with your (fringe/bangs) by having a bias sort of cut & then have differnet flick & lengths to make it more individual.
conrad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote conrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2008 at 11:51am
Dont be shy about it, sometimes you just gotta do it.  the initial fear is the hurdle, but once its done, you will propably say "wow, that feels great, i should have done it years ago"  I remember when i got my hair cut short in highschool.  Back in the late 80's, longer hair was the style and short was definately not.  However, i just nutted up and got it cut 1/4 in back and sides and about 3/4 on top.  It felt awesome and I have never looked back or changed it, until i got married.  Now, my wife likes it a bit longer actually 2x as long (1/2 back about 1-1/2 on top) not really any huge difference for me, i just get it cut more often!  Over the past 10 years, my wife has drifted towards shorter hair, and has loved the transistion.  Even today, she is contemplating going shorter to like the Rihanna's new cut.
Overall, she loves going shorter b/c of the ease and the compliments that she recieves.  You only live once, so go for it, it will grow out if you dont like it (which i dont think will happen).
that is my .02, good luck and let us know!
laurie82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laurie82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2008 at 8:16pm
I went and got a haircut similar to a pixie several weeks ago. By far the shortest haircut I have ever had. Now that I am getting used to it I am thinking of trimming it a bit shorter later this month. My boyfriend is trying to talk me into a buzzcut for the summer which is freaking me out a little, but I am not opposed to going a little shorter.  Basically it is a lot easier to manage and I have received a lot of compliments. I also think it looks a lot more professional shorter which is important to me at this stage of my career. My game plan is to keep it really short for the summer then decide if I want to grow it out in the fall.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic