Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Brush or Bottle?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
paper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brush or Bottle?
    Posted: March 09 2008 at 8:02am
Getting ready to touch up my roots for the first time since dying it. What is easier to do this, brush or bottle? If I do use a brush and bowl, is there a place to measure the developer and color in the bowl? Going to Sallys today. Thanks
paper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2008 at 8:03am
Oh any tips would be helpful too. Wink
vixen12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vixen12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2008 at 1:55pm
I use a brush and bowl to do my roots and am happy with this mehod, but have never done it with a bottle before so can't comment on which is better. I use bleach on my roots, so I like the brush because it seems to smooth things out and get the application nice and even.

The bowls at Sally's do have measurements inside of them, but the one that I have only has the measurements for the larger amounts. I don't use too much product for my roots, so I use a cylinder (about $3 at Sally's) instead. It has tick marks for smaller measurements (I believe mine goes by cc and oz) and also has marks in between each measure. For me, this tends to be more accurate than using the bowl.

Good luck! :)

Nikki

Edited by vixen12 - March 09 2008 at 1:55pm
paper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2008 at 6:40pm
Thanks Vixen for the tips! I didn't make it to Sallys today, but will be going there this week sometime. I think I will try the brush.
Ally<3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally<3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2008 at 3:48am
Definitely brush. I have only used to bottle to dye my hair darker, but I like the brush much better. I feel like the bottle will drip and the brush gives me precision which you need with bleach.
Rebekah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebekah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2008 at 11:08am
I use both.  I like to use the brush for the back that I can't see as well and the bottle for the front that I can see much better.  I mix the solution in the bottle and then pour it in a bowl to use with the brush.  Hope this helps.

Rebekah
Check out My Hobby Shop!
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5372710
kooky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kooky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2008 at 11:35am
Originally posted by Rebekah Rebekah wrote:

I use both.  I like to use the brush for the back that I can't see as well and the bottle for the front that I can see much better.  I mix the solution in the bottle and then pour it in a bowl to use with the brush.  Hope this helps.

Rebekah

That's a great idea Rebekah to mix in bottle first!  I always use brush.  I will try that next time.  But for the OP, I don't think it matters if you use anything with gradiated lines.  Most colors are either 2:1 ratio or 1:1 ratio, so what ever measurement you use (i use Tablespoon for small touchups, b/c I hate wasting a whole bottle) just keep your ratios the same and you'll be good to go!
paper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2008 at 7:05pm
Thanks all. I did my overall  color from a bottle. It was kind of messy. I was thinking using brush would be alot easier, especially for touch up.

Mixing in bottle first is a good tip Rebekah.
Rebekah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebekah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2008 at 3:35pm
Glad it worked for you.  I like the no fuse mixing with the bottle. 

Rebekah

Check out My Hobby Shop!
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5372710
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic