Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What a rip-off!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What a rip-off!
    Posted: August 31 2002 at 9:00pm
This really gets me. Today I noticed in Rite-Aid while shopping for some elastic hair ties that Thermasilk is selling a new "Intensive Conditioning Thermal Wrap" kit. In this box you get a small tube of conditioner and a vented cap. You apply the conditioner, put on the cap and use a blow dryer to heat your hair.

For $7.59, you get the cap and 1.5 ounces of conditioner.

Thermasilk also sells a "Daily Conditioner with Thermal Beads." For $5.29 you get 6 ounces of product, four times the small tube in the other kit.

The catch? They are virtually the SAME conditioner! I always read the ingredient list (ALWAYS!) and the first 10 ingredients are identical. Now, the FDA dictates that companies must list ingredients in descending order starting with the ingredient used in the biggest quantity first. By the time you get about halfway down the list, manufacturers are allowed to list the remaining ingredients randomly. Hence, these two products are virtually the same thing, since by the time the ingredients start to differ the additives are in such minute qualities they make no difference on your hair.

Yes, the blow dryer cap is a novel idea, but you can get the same effect from wrapping a warm towel on your head or using a heating cap. But why pay $7.59 for 1.5 ounces of conditioner when you can four times as much for $5.29???? Sigh. I`ll never understand.

That said, the Daily Conditioner in the 6 ounce jar IS a good, very nice product for dry hair. But please don`t pay more for less. Be savvy when you shop for hair products! I hope this helps you.
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic