Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Introduction and advice needed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sammysmithazt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sammysmithazt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Introduction and advice needed
    Posted: May 04 2008 at 4:09pm

Thanks for the tips ladeies. I have taken my LF off and put it back on twice and no problems execept for the back!

I'm using tape and cleaning well with alcohol first and mirror cleaning the lace but the tape is not sticking to the lace well.
The tape sticks like glue to my skin but will lift from the lace itself.

Any advice?

I'm beginning to wonder if the woman who cut my lace and applied it cut too much lace off the back and now I'm having to pull it tighter than I should have to.
Her application had the same probelm.....lifting at the nape of the neck on one side.
I've already shaved up the back of my neck a good bit and I dont want to shave it any further.

Please help!!  My poor skin is hating me for this and I'm using skin protection.

Mighty tighty isnt helping either.

*edit: oh I guess I should have mentioned that my LF isnt stock...I was measured for it.

I've been reading like a mad woman and found some helpful advice on using the liquid adhesive on the tape too. I'll try that.

How can I know if I wasnt measured correctly? 

Edited by sammysmithazt - May 04 2008 at 5:39pm
kalenjin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kalenjin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2008 at 7:30pm
try pro-flex no shine...it holds pretty good and comes off easy with alcohol
kalenjin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kalenjin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2008 at 7:30pm
try
sexibeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2008 at 10:59am
i mean you could get by with couple of days with adhesives in the summer i usually change once in the middle of the week.. alcohol and goo gone is good, desolve it works too..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sammysmithazt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2008 at 10:46am
Thank you. I have been so grateful for all the info you have posted for the newbies. Great advice and very throrough.

I think daily removal will be the way I go.  Besides it will give my head time to breath.

Is the tape all I will need?

Is the alcohol a cleaner way to remove it than the greasy adhesive remover I have now?

About how long does it take to remove it, clean the glue and reapply it daily?

I know in the beginning it will take longer and hopefully I can get a little more speedy with it.

A huge thank you! once again

sexibeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2008 at 7:06am
hey welcome to the board.. as a person who works out its tough with the lf's.. and even without working out in the summer months its a whole other ball game.. i would suggest supertape for any daily removal, and try wrapping a scarf around the hairline while working out.. that's what i do, and the only real suggestion i can give you.. just walking in the summer months with the heat index and having a good app is a challenge.. honestly we're still in search for the perfect adhesive and combo to make it thru those hot summer months without working out..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sammysmithazt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2008 at 9:10pm
Hey ladies!
I'm new here and to LF's and wanted to introduce myself and thank you guys for all the wonderful and very detailed information I have been able to obtain here.
I know there has been a TON of time and effort dedicated to these posts and the information is almost overwhelming to me, although I have been reading...reading ...reading and trying to absorb as much as I can.

I wanted to ask your advice on my own particular life style and how I should go about using my LF and the products that might require.

I'm a runner and I live in the south. It gets hot as heck here and I usually try to run 5 days a week.
I would rather not run in my LF as it would require washing it everyday (a lot of wear and tear) and it would be extremely hot.
I would rather not have to hassel with taking my LF off almost everyday before I run and then putting it back on but, I think its probably the best idea all around.
I have a long remy full LF and its my first.
I had it put on today. I did not put it on myself but I had a lot of questions to ask...thanks to you guys...I at least knew what to be asking.

I shared my concern about exercising and washing with the woman who put on and styled my lace front and she agreed that I should consider using tape and removing it either daily or on the days I run...sometimes I skip a day or two.

So she applied the LF using tape. It was tape that I had purchased from the wig shop I got my LF from and she wasnt familar with it. It was white and said something about venilated but it wasnt what she was used to seeing such as the BLUE and Red types. So she couldnt advise me on how it would hold up to moisture and such.

She applied the wig using the tape only at first. She used tape on the front of my head and my neck. I am shaved so no hair to bundle up or fuss with, although we did have to shave up the back of my neck b/c my hair line grows down rather far (like a reverse widows peek).

The tape held the front fine but the sides and the neck kept coming loss, so she used the mighty tight for extra strength. Even that was challenging and I think she used a little Ultra hold as well.

I love the way it looks. She cut and styled it and I'm just in LOVE.

Here is my concerns and questions if anyone can give me their advice

1. What type of tape should I purchase and how much (if I plan to take it off nearly every day)? Best place to buy it affordably?

Also she applied the tape directly to my head rather than the lace but I read that others do it to the lace. Advantage?

And what is the best advice for shiney residue?

2.) Should I even be using all tape or should I consider something else like spirit gum? Keep in mind I live in high humidity and I would like to wear my hair up for work so I need a good solid hold.

3.) I assume I should use fray blocker to protect my lace since I will taking it off so often. I see I can find that at walmart.

4.) Will I use the same method to clean my wig....mirror slide...everyday?
Will the adhesive remover leave an oily residue requiring me to wash my wig everyday I remove it anyway? Or could I just was the parts that get some spray on them?

I have purchased some mighty tight and the spray adhesive remover.
And I see I can use liquid bandage as a skin protector ...any disadvatages?

Ok that's a lot of questions and I'm sure I have more but was hoping you ladies might help get me started.

5.) I noticed today at home I still have tackiness on some parts of my scalp on the hair line. I have moved some baby hairs down to it but some parts still remain sticky and if I push too much hair into it, it gets kinda nasty and crusty.

Is this normal and any tips?

6.) other products I might need besides tape, mighty tight, adhesive remover, knot sealer and fray blocker?

THANK you guys so much in advance.  You have already given me so much information even before I posted this. I'm greatly indebted.

Sincerely,
-Sammie

Edited by sammysmithazt - April 24 2008 at 9:12pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic