Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dreadlock Disaster

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yoga Sue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yoga Sue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dreadlock Disaster
    Posted: October 27 2002 at 5:25pm
HELP! A couple of months ago I thought I wanted dreadlocks, so I got `em. I didn`t like them at all - they just felt icky and I missed my "regular" hair. So I tried to comb them out, but alas, they`d already taken hold and I ended up having to cut them out. Now my hair is about 20 different lengths (approx. 4 inches in some places to shoulder length in others). That part doesn`t have me as freaked out as the fact that my hair is super thin - a lot of it got pulled out and broken off. My hair (before dreadlocks) was about 3 inches below my shoulders and very thick and healthy. This sucks. Will it get thick again or have I blown it forever??? What do I do to restore the health of my hair?
Any ideas would be appreciated!
Merlin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2002 at 11:40am
Sorry to hear about your breakage problem. Your hair should return to its pre-dreadlock condition in time. Treat it gently (don`t brush it when wet, etc.), use a good conditioning shampoo and conditioner, and do regular deep conditioning (such as hot oil). You might consider taking a good mulitvitamin if you are not already.

Have patience. This too shall pass.

Good luck and hang in there! ;)
Merlin
Julie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Julie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2002 at 8:32am
sorry to hear about your hair !! I know what your going through!! I have had hair extentions & unless you can afford to keep going to a salon and having them looked after every week, like celebs they wreck your hair. I have had extentions and have been to a the top uk salon to get them done and they look stunning for the firsts few weeks but they itch like mad and are prone to "thin" the ends on removal, This is because a loop hole is made by platting the extention in and on removal the additional hair tightens & pulls down the hair shaft, all that gule & platting steer clear!!!YUK!!! Extentions are a nightmare to remove as you now know. To all you people out there GET THEM REMOVED PROFESSIONALLY the salon should have the time & know how and if they run into problems in the process it`s there responsbility to sort it !Some hair loss will be evident on removal because as the hair renews it`s self it can`t be brushed from the roots and old hair remains still tied in the extention by the seal at the top. keep going for regular cuts and conditioning treatments until the hair regains its strength then grow it afterwards . GO back to the salon and explain this to them they may offer you some free conditioning treatments. the salon should have advised you not to take dreads out yourself before you had them done. Aussie instants conditioners are good if you are considering home treatments. keep slavering them on and try not to let the hair get dry and use build up remover shampoo from time to time beacause the last thing you need is heavy conditioning treaments weighing your hair down when its fine. Hope this helps you !!!!!
Merlin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2002 at 11:01am
You`re absolutely right about having extensions or dreadlocks removed periodically. Bad things can happen if they are left in too long - even tight braids or braids can pull the hair out.

You are also correct about heavy conditioning treatments weighing the hair down but a good one (at home or the salon) will help the dry/damaged hair and minimize breakage. For home use, I have seen wonderous things happen to damaged hair using an overnight oil treatment (like jojoba or monoi) and washing it out the next morning.

There is no quick fix for this situation. Just be kind to your hair! :)
Merlin
Merlin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2002 at 1:35pm
Oops! In the first sentence, I MEANT to say "...tight braids or BUNS..." I was specifically thinking of the singer Sade who used to wear her hair in a very tight bun until her hair line began to recede. Stevie Wonder is an example of keeping cornrows in too long with the same result.

Here is a web site with photos of Sade.

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Cinema/7927/colorphotos.html
Merlin
petite Tina View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petite Tina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2002 at 11:31am
You may need to cut off your hair in a very short crop and start over!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic