Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

8-Day Hold with Tape

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tea4Two View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tea4Two Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 8-Day Hold with Tape
    Posted: May 10 2008 at 4:38pm

I usually don't wear my units this long because I like to change my look. But this week I was so busy and never had a chance to take this unit off.

I have blue tape (from the roll) around the nape and blue lace front tape (from the strips) around my forehead. I don't use glue. 

It's been eight days and the hold is still very strong. I notice a little stickiness around my forehead which tells me that the unit has slid a tad bit.

Anyway, I'm taking it off today, but I just wanted to "report" the hold that I have with the tape.

http://public.fotki.com/Tea4Two
soulie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2008 at 7:34pm
Tea, let me know how the cleanup is.  I tried that same method before and while it stuck well, cleaning up the lace was horrid after a week.
Loving EP RT
soxgirl119 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soxgirl119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2008 at 8:32pm
Yes I have to agree that the hold is amazing but the clean-up sucks for me. Tea what do you use to clean-up both the lace and the skin? I use 91%alcohol and I tried some olive oil but it's still hard.
Don't try to put me in a box. I'll never fit.
Tea4Two View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tea4Two Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2008 at 9:39pm

I have no problems with any mess with the tape.  I just spray with the lace release and wait a bit and spray again.  Then as the wig lifts, I use a Q-tip dipped in alcohol or acetone and stick it between the lace and tape. I roll the wet Q-tip all down and around the entire perimeter releasing the wig and dipping the Q-tip into more alcohol as necessary. I only have 91% alcohol, but I hear the 99% works the best.

Once the wig falls off my head, I set it aside then I ease the tape off my skin the exact same way. I spray the tape with the lace release and I dip my fingers in alcohol or acetone and grab the end of the tape. As it slides off, I use my wet Q-tip to rub along the perimeter (on the tape and my skin) so that the tape slips off gently and easily. I don't pull hard at all; I just allow it to come up naturally as I gently tug.

When I apply my unit, I use long strips of tape and overlap them, so the tape usually comes off in about 3 long strips. As the strips come off, I put them onto a kleenex and re-wet my fingers with the acetone and grab another strip of tape.

There is none or very little residue left on my skin, but I always wipe my skin with a make-up sponge soaked in alcohol to remove any stickiness that may be there.  The wig has no residue on it at all, so I usually just re-apply or wash it and store it for later.

I just did this 30 minutes ago when I removed my unit.

Shonita24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shonita24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2008 at 10:58pm
Wow, Tea, thanks for the tips....I started out using tape and adhesives combo just started to try out adhesives alone and I hate it.  I do not like all the mess that it makes.  I am going back to my supertape and adhesive combo.
"When someone shows you who they are, believe them"
Lifecoach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lifecoach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2008 at 2:54am
How do you guys make sure that the Supertape is not shiny? I used tape once and you could clearly see it in the part.
angierene View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angierene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2008 at 12:10pm
Lifecoach, maybe try to do tape around the perimeter and then do orwg or hdwa in the direct front. I did this and although the hdwa needs a touch up the shine isnt as bad. it does turn out to look like you have too much grease  in your part though.Smile
There may be a LOT to think about but NOTHING to worry about!
docpam69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote docpam69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2008 at 12:17pm
Wow I may have to try blue lace tape again. In the past it left a lot of residue. It was easy to take off with the mirror slide but I didn't want to have that extra step.
checolatediva1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote checolatediva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2008 at 1:13pm
How exactly do you guys apply the tape. I never seem to be able to get the tape to stick to the skin and the unit. I always have to use adhesive and the tape. I use the adhesive on both sides of the tape. Help a sister out ladies.
Tea4Two View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tea4Two Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2008 at 2:34am

For the shininess I did the old toothbrush scrub to help remove the shine from the tape. 

I just today applied another unit and used pro-flex no shine tape for the very first time.  I don't see any shine at all.

Now my only problem seems to be discovering a lace color that blends with my skin.
LovelyLisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LovelyLisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2008 at 12:46pm
I used the same tape but I use ORWG where my part is only.  The rest is tape and I love the hold.

All I use is 91% alcohol and removal is very easy! 

I do not wear any makeup so I must avoid the shine this way!

Edited by LovelyLisa - May 13 2008 at 12:47pm
Divajones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Divajones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2008 at 12:13pm

barmy

Fearlessly, Feminine
ShowStoppers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShowStoppers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2008 at 4:37pm

Tea4Two which tape seems to hold better supertape or proflex

Tea4Two View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tea4Two Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2008 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by ShowStoppers ShowStoppers wrote:

Tea4Two which tape seems to hold better supertape or proflex

The ProFlex holds real tight.  But realistically, everyone's skin is different.  What works for me may not work well enough for you.  I use tape-only and no glue; however, there are ladies who swear that tape never works for them.  So all I can say is go ahead and experiment to see what works best for you then share your story!  Wink

eyboutique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eyboutique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2008 at 3:09pm
Great tip

For with God nothing shall be impossible Luke 1:37
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic