Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Newbie without a clue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hel Firey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hel Firey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie without a clue
    Posted: May 19 2008 at 11:06am
Hi, I have some questions about my curly/frizzy hair - any advice or ideas would be appreciated!

I'm mixed race and my mum (who's white with straight hair) had no clue what to do with my hair and neither did the hairdressers in my home town. My hair's tight curly and long (halfway down my back when pulled straight). As a kid I had a pretty awful looking afro where my Mum just dragged a comb through it as best she could.

When I got older I started trying mousse and things to define and weigh down the curls, but it either made my hair feel horrible or I had to use so much it was really expensive. I can't comb it without it going huge and frizzy.

I hit on the idea of putting conditioner (normal - herbal essences or tresemme, not leave in) in my hair when damp and leaving it - this meant I could actually comb my hair through (with my fingers at least), my curls stayed nice and curly and shiny, and it was cheaper. I've been doing that for about ten years now, but my hair's getting out of condition on the top - lots of broken hairs - where I comb it through wet every day. If I don't put the conditioner in I'm almost too ashamed to leave the house it looks so frizzy and horrible!

That's my sob story, I would like to change my haircare routine, but don't know how!

curlywurly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote curlywurly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2008 at 8:53am
Hi,

Have you ever tried using hair serum, its really good for frizzy hair.  My hair is very curly and frizzy, putting the conditioner in is good but i think if you buy pure hair serum it would be better, with hair like mine and by the sounds of it yours, we need it to be kinda greesy to weigh it down and control the frizz !

I wash my hair once every 3 days and just run my fingers through it when its wet to get some knots out apart from that i dont brush it/comb it at all not even when its wet as it just breaks your hair off, i had the same-lots of broken hairs on the top. its so much better now i dont brush it.

Once ive washed it, i put a load of serum in, then put my product through my hair, then twist individual curls round my finger to define the curls, then spray with hairspray.  I always let it dry naturally, never hairdry - i end up looking like a poodle otherwise !

Anyway, thats my haircare routine !
Work with what you've got and be grateful for it
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic