Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dark Brown - Pure White?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
XenoFire View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XenoFire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dark Brown - Pure White?
    Posted: November 24 2002 at 12:57pm
Heya, I`ve been thinking about dying my hair a paper white (pretty much as white as it`ll get) for a long time now.

The thing is I`ve talked it over with a few people and it`s pretty much turned out to seem impossible. My hair is dark brown, near black. I`ve herd putting peroxide in my hair for 10 hours, which I`m not going to do. Bleeching my hair over and over `till it turns white. That`ll also probably end up ruining it.

I`m not experienced with hair dying at all. Never done it before; except in grade school where I gave myself blond highlights.

Any ideas? Is it possible for it to turn pure white without making my hair paper thin? Thanks =)

E-mail is xenofire@rogers.com is anyone needs to know it for whatever reason.
ejay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2002 at 1:08pm
I wouldn`t even try it even if anyone comes up with an amazing suggestion if i was you.
Why not try lots of white extensions on top of dyed blonde hair for a similar look or even the extensions on your natural colour for a kind of black white thing.
ladystardust View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladystardust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2002 at 1:09pm
It sounds like you would have a hard time getting it that light a color because your natural is so dark to begin with, and bleaching definitely fries your hair.
Given how dark your hair is already, it would be tough to get it that white.

Have you considered trying a white wig?

Erin
hairfan View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2002 at 12:05am
Hello, first of all, I`d like to mention I am NO professional colorist and don`t take my word for it. However, I have heard that what you desired is very possible. But I never tried it myself at all, and I heard it from a website that said she has successfully bleached her hair to a white-blond, almost pure white, color. I`ve seen pictures, I was so amazed by that. She has natural jet black hair. Her hair does look pretty dry, but not fried.

I`ve heard that the best way to achieve almost white hair is to use salon quality bleach from Sally Beauty and bleach it (perhaps take you more than once) to pale yellow stage, but NOT beyond that or your hair will break. Then use a tint or toner to make your hair white. For example, Roux/Revlon has tints in White Minx or Ultra White Minx. Ultra White Minx will make your bleached pale yellow hair a glow in the dark white. But just make sure it`s bleached to at least pale yellow to maximize the effect of white dye. But you will experience some damage along the way, depending on the texture of your hair. If it`s thin, it`s probably not possible. You can bleach to yellow stage and dye your hair a lightest ash blonde or pale cool blonde.

Again, I never tried this myself before, but I`ve seen and heard it worked for that person with jet black hair. I`m just letting you know it`s very possible, in spite what others have said above.
kateincanada View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kateincanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2002 at 5:54pm
Hi... I`m in hair school and we`re learning about this stuff right now.

From what I`ve learned, if your hair is as dark as you describe you will probably really really damage your hair if you attempt to take it white... or beyone "pale yellow" as we call the lightest blond.

What about if you take your hair to a nice warm blond, then pull a lot of it through a cap and bleach THAT part blonder? That would give you the appearance of more pale blond, without totally frying your entire head of hair. That`s what my friend at hair school does, and her hair is very dark (she`s Cuban) She gets a really pretty result that way.

If you are still considering going pale blond, I saw some pretty amazing results using Tressa` "Blond Ambition" at a hair show last week. They took some medium browns to platinum.

~~Kate
hairfan View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2002 at 3:34am
Kateincanada, I checked out the product you mentioned. It said it lifts 7 levels. Well, there`s a product that`s able to lift to 10 levels. That`s called 7th Stage Lightener. It can lift the darkest hair, between levels 1-3, up to 7 to 10 levels. Even on resistant hair. It even comes with double drabbing to tone down any golds and reds that come out naturally in dark hair. This Blonde Ambition product probably won`t work on black to dark brown hair anyway. I also heard huge raves on Wellite Lighteners. But in the USA it`s probably different than what`s available in Canada.

I do agree that highlights look more natural and less damaging for achieving pale blonde, which is probably very common at the salons. Myself, I dislike warm blondes. I like cool blondes. But for general population, warmer blondes are what most colorists go for anyway.

Some people prefer full head blonding. It depends on what they want. Highlights are safer and more natural looking, while full head blonding`s probably extreme and white-trashy, depending on how you look at it.
kateincanada View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kateincanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2002 at 7:07am
I`ll have to check out that product! I hope we can get it up here!

I also prefer cool blond shades, but as you said, sometimes a warm blond is the only achievable shade with naturally dark hair. I was only proposing a "livable alternative". Sometimes warm blond is better than no blond for some ladies.

On a personal note, I am passionate about dark hair! I`m a natural level 2, almost 1 -- and I have always loved it. Got my black hair from my Irish ancestors. I put vivid plum hi-lites in it and it looks terrific! Oh dear... I`m wandering. LOL!

Good luck with the blonding! Let me know how it goes.

...off to check out my beauty supply.

~~Kate
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2002 at 10:00am
This is not a cop-out answer, but when you`re thinking of any kind of a radical hair color change, I`d HIGHLY recommend discussing it with a professional stylist. Maybe even 2 or 3, just to see that the opinions agree!

A professional colorist can look at your own hair and give you a much better idea of what is possible.

I would really persuade you NOT to try this at home. My guess is that the chance that you`ll ruin your own hair is much greater than if you don`t.

If you can`t afford a pro, then save up until you can! Unless you like what is called a "chemical haircut." {sigh}

Good luck,

Jennifer
hairfan View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2002 at 3:26pm
Not meaning to put down any colorists who work hard doing their best with variety of clients, but I have a few friends who have proved themselves over and over again.

I understand the dire situation of doing radical changes and the damages that can be caused, but it`s possible. Some colorists prefer not to be sued, that`s why they choose the most safest way and make compromises with the client. Of course, they`re the ones who went to school, not the rest of general population.

My friends, both Asians, have long, soft platinum blonde hair. It amazed me so much `cause they did it themselves with each other`s help. They did it `cause they were told what they wanted (platinum blonde) is virutally impossible and no colorist`s willing to do it without severe damage. They were told often they can`t do it. So they just decided to do their research for a few months and then they took the plunge.

They did it gradually in steps within few days. Then they achieved pale yellow hair on their virgin, black hair. They used a toner to make the hair platinum. Their hair looked smooth and sleek after using some styling products to tame them a bit.

I saw them and I nearly had an heart attack. People asked them how they did it. They were shocked. Their hair didn`t looked too damaged, just a bit, but styling products helped them look smoother and with good moisturizing products.

The point of the story here is that if you do your own homework and do in depth research on best products available on the market, then it can be done if no other colorist is willing to do it. Of course, it doesn`t happen often (people going blonde) anyway. I`m just commenting what I see and learned about people who achieved the "impossible" without severe damage.

BTW, Kateincanada, I think dark hair on pale-skinned folks and have blue or green eyes are GORGEOUS! Like Jennifer Connelly and Courteney Cox, they have black hair and blue eyes. Wow! VERY striking. Those who have beautiful blue, green or amber eyes they should go darker instead of blonde depending on their skintone (not washed out). People with rich, warm chocolate brown eyes look great with chocolate brown hair and golden skin, like Penelope Cruz. I like dark hair as well, it`s either black, chocolate brown or platinum blonde. Just my preference lol.
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2002 at 5:18pm
Oh, I definitely agree that there are probably some VERY talented "non-professionals" at home!

However, for someone who has absolutely no experience (and from the question the original poster asked, it seems this is the case), I do think it`s a risky pursuit.

For anyone who knows what he is doing at home, I think it`s great! You obviously control everything that`s going on and in the process save a lot of money!

But for complete novices, I think that a salon is a much safer bet -- especially for radical changes.

Jennifer
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic