Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

cap or foil

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vicky View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cap or foil
    Posted: November 26 2002 at 1:01pm
I am a board lurker and have learned to respect most of the opinions and suggestions on this board. Anyway, I have an appointment to have my hair high lighted for the first time. I am having trouble deciding wether to have it highlighted by the foil or cap method. I have med brown hair with a hint of red in it and I would like it lighter not really a totally different color. I like my color it is just way too dark for my very light complexion. What are your experiences with both methods?
Mary View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2002 at 10:18am
Most salons now do the foil. It is a lot less uncomfortable than having your hair pulled through the cap. The only problem with foil is that if the stylist isn`t careful some of the bleach can bleed onto the hair that isn`t being highlighted. But if the stylist isn`t experienced that won`t be a problem. If your hair is short, a cap may be better becasue it`s harder to fold the foil over the ends, but if your hair is medium to long I would recommend foil. It works just as well and is a lot less uncomfortable and there is less pulling on the hair. . If you don`t want a whole different color you can get partial highlights, which is actually less expensive. Ask for highlights just on the top layer of the hair and mostly around the face and sides.
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2002 at 10:31am
I am not a stylist at all, but here`s what I`ve been told by some of them. The cap method is an old method which is adequate but a truly talented colorist will use the foil method because it`s easier to control. When my hair is highlighted, a section of hair is further separated with the end of a comb, which distributes more even highlights.

I`ve had both methods, and the highlights look much more natural when the foil was used. A lot of times, I think, stylists use the cap method because it`s less time-consuming and easier for someone who isn`t terribly experienced.

Jennifer
kateincanada View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kateincanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2002 at 5:06pm
There are plusses to both methods.

As said in an earlier post, foils can be placed exactly where you want them. There`s no guessing. No surprises. And it is true, an inexperienced colourist can let "bleeds" happen by accident. If you go with foils, ask your stylist about using cotton batten strips between each foil to prevent bleeding (or "blops" as I tend to call them.) Most stylists don`t like to bother with cotton strips because this takes extra time, but it is SO WORTH IT! I never get bleeds.

I prefer the "natural" look of cap hi-lights, but that`s just me. If your hair is too long, the cap method might be too uncomfortable.

In my salon the cap method is WAY cheaper because it is faster and takes less precision. We charge $27 for cap hi-lights, as opposed to foils which will cost $55 and up, depending upon the length of the hair and the quality of the colour/bleach used.

Hope you enjoy your hi-lights! Let us know how it goes...

~~Kate
kateincanada View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kateincanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2002 at 5:10pm
duh... stupid computer posted it twice. :-/
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic