Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A do-it-yourself project or need a pro?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
glitterkitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glitterkitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A do-it-yourself project or need a pro?
    Posted: June 10 2008 at 7:58am
Hello, all!  So glad to have found this board!

I want to do a two-tone color job on my hair--I like the blonde on top with dark brown underneath.  What I have in mind is hair that is MOSTLY blonde, with just the very bottom layer brown.  I have long layered blonde hair, and want to keep the same blonde I have now.  I have had a hard time finding good pictures of this look, but got the idea from Ambre's hair on VH1's Rock of Love 2.  Pitures of her from the show don't really give a clear idea of how to get this look! 

Common sense says all I have to do is part my hair horizontally from ear to ear in the back, and dye the last layer.  Could it REALLY be this easy?  Do I need to put strands of brown elsewhere in my hair to make this look right?  (That would seem to lead to a more complicated job!)

SO:

Will it look right to only have the brown bottom layer?

If I need the additional brown strands on other parts of my head, where should they be, and should I then attempt this myself?

Thanks so much for your time!

~Amy 

Edited by glitterkitty - June 10 2008 at 7:58am
fakeizme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fakeizme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2008 at 11:52am
Oooo Glitter; this is what I do to my hair! LOL

I think you have a pretty good handle on what you need to do and it IS pretty much that easy! I literally (every month) divide my hair and pin up my hair from about ear-level up. I bleach the top on a different day and then use a lifting colour on the bottom hair (since I'm level 1) to bring it up to brown. If you want, you could try a zig zag part (exactly as it sounds) so it's not a perfectly drawn straight line dividing your dark from your light.

Funny enough, it looks pretty good and I don't have any brown in my crown hair to blend! It looks better, however, when my roots grow in a bit and it's a bit darker. What I do to ensure my blonde is not affected; I put conditioner on that hair before I pin it up. Works well.

If you want you could foil in some dark on the very top OR at about ear-level to make it all blend. It's not necessary though, just depends on what you want your final look to be.

You can do this by yourself; just go slow and be patient. Have lots of clips handy. Good luck! 
Love clip-ins and tape!
karen s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karen s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2008 at 1:24pm
Mmmmmmmmmmmm sounds tricky to try and do yourself. Can you not get a friend to help you.

I get the idea what you want to achieve, but I think you would need 4 hands instead of 2, only my opion, good luck.
karen sanderson
BlackLace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackLace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2008 at 3:35pm
It's actually really easy. I used to do this to my hair except with black instead of brown. You're pretty much dead on with the process, so I don't think I need to tell you how to do it.
I used to get a friend to do it for me, but I don't think it would be hard to do it yourself. Good luck!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic