Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help mixing wella koleston with welloxon

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
KatieL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KatieL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help mixing wella koleston with welloxon
    Posted: June 14 2008 at 3:55am
Hi, can anyone help. I have recently lost my job so can't afford to have my hair colored at a salon as often anymore (it was every 3 weeks as I have a lot of grey, so was extremely expensive). I want to still use my salon but I want to be able to do the root touch ups occassionally at home to cut down my spending until i get another job. I have bought the product my salon uses on my hair: Wella Koleston 7 and Welloxon 6% I just want a natural light brown colour. My question is I don't understand the mixing instructions 1:1, does this mean I mix the whole tube of colour with the whole tube of welloxon? Do I need this much for root touch up? Does the colour go off if you dont use it all?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Edited by KatieL - June 14 2008 at 3:57am
karen s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karen s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2008 at 11:54am
Hi Katie,

Wella tubes have 60ml of colour in them so the ration 1.1 is 1 part colour 1 part developer(welloxon) if you only need to do root touch up, you would get away with using 15 ml of the colour and only use 15 ml of the developer and mix together, don't add anything else.

Tubes of colour can last up to 5 years as long as the cap is tightly on and no air gets into them. If the colour in the tube turns black , meaning the remainder of colour in the tube, then you cant use it, as air has contaminated it.

Basically the tube of colour you have will give you 4 root touch ups.

I hope you understand this lol, Karen.

Edited by karen s - June 14 2008 at 11:56am
karen sanderson
KatieL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KatieL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2008 at 1:43pm
Thanks Karen for the explanation, it's a great help.

Whilst waiting for a response I tested a little bit of the koleston on its own on a spot on my hairline and it caused terrible redness. Is this because I hadn't mixed it with the welloxon, or an indication that I am allergic to it?

Edited by KatieL - June 14 2008 at 1:43pm
karen s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karen s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2008 at 7:58am
Hi Katie, it could be both, but to do a proper skin test you need to mix the tinniest amount of tint(colour)with the developer (welloxon) and apply a dab behind your ear and leave it for 24-48 hours, if you feel any itchy, sore and redness around that area, then yes you do have an allergy to the ppd (para dyes) in the tint.

If this does happen then only use semi permanent colours, as they done contain ppd's.

Karen.
karen sanderson
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic