Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Swimming and lace wigs...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Twinklesxx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twinklesxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Swimming and lace wigs...
    Posted: June 20 2008 at 12:33pm
So I'm off on holiday soon and I want to make the most of being out there. The hotel we're staying at has a pool and I'm hesitant as to whether I can swim safely in it without it messing up my unit or my glue.

My unit is an asian remy AA texture mix of 1b and 2.
The glue I use is Ultra hold...

Give me some help ladies

...and I hope you don't say I have to wear a swimming cap 'cause the lord knows I don't look good in one of those!

Thanks xxx
sexibeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2008 at 2:36pm
if your cuticles aren't aligned on that unit you could have problems.. I've not been one that wants to test it out, some have. plus i don't have that much confidence in my adhesives to make the jump into the water.. b/c if EB doesn't work on me.. so its up to you!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twinklesxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2008 at 4:44pm
Would wearing a swimming cap protect me enough?
Curlygirl11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curlygirl11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2008 at 1:06am
I've gone swimming in my units with no swim cap and I was fine. I used Vapon No-Tape adhesive alone and I've used Vapon NT with Proflex No-Shine Tape. Your bond should be fine even if you swim underwater but it may feel a little looser after a while so when you get out of the water wrap your perimeter in a scarf for 20-30 minutes so your bond can get tight again.
2Cor 12:8-9
Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness".

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twinklesxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2008 at 11:59am
Thanks curly and sexi :)
I'll try it without a swimming cap - but maybe i won't go underwater too much to start off with.
The safe thing with my unit is that it's glued round the front and sides but also sewn, so even if my glue does give way a bit it shouldn't be obvious - i hope.

x
will the chlorine do anything to the hair?
Curlygirl11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curlygirl11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2008 at 8:42pm
^^If the cuticles aren't aligned like SexiB said you could have a problem with matting so I wouldn't get the whole thing wet right away. If the tips start to tangle really bad when they're exposed to the chlorinated water then  you're cuticles may not be aligned and you should not get the whole thing wet but if your tips stay smooth and silky after being exposed to the chlorinated water you should be okay to get the rest of it wet.
2Cor 12:8-9
Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness".
Tea4Two View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tea4Two Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2008 at 12:16pm

Also, bring a detox shampoo with you to clean the chlorine out of it.  DILUTE the shampoo!  That's what I did. I went swimming in pools and in the ocean with no problem while on vacation recently. I used the Aveda detox shampoo and diluted it about 5 to 1. 

http://public.fotki.com/Tea4Two
Divavocals View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Divavocals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2008 at 2:53pm
Tips for swimming: (this works for your own hair as well as your weave/lacefront)
  1. ~ Pull your hair into a ponytail. ETA: Braid the ponytail in a loose braid. Use a holder or barrette to keep the braid from coming loose.. This will keep your hair under control and help minimize tangles and matting.
  2. ~ Rinse your hair THOROUGHLY with fresh water before you get in the pool/ocean. Your hair is a sponge, and it will absorb the fresh water which will help to minimize the amount of pool/salt water that the hair shaft will absorb.
  3. ~ If you will not be washing your hair IMMEDIATELY after swimming (sun bathing, etc), rinse your hair thoroughly when you get out of the water.. I usually follow-up by smoothing a moizturizing or leave-in conditioner on my hair, combing it through and putting the hair back in a ponytail. (you don't have to use an expensive conditioner for this.. an inexpensive conditioner -- like Suave -- will do)
  4. ~ Use a good clarifying shampoo such as Nexxus Aloe Rid after swimming. This shampoo will remove the chlorine and salt from the hair shaft. Follow up with your regular shampoo and conditioning routine..
Check out the 5th So Cal offline luncheon?? For more info: divahairtalk.overthehillweb.com/lunch.html

Links to my fav vendors & hair albums + Weave 101 information: divahairtalk.overthehillweb.com
intl_babygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote intl_babygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2008 at 12:02pm
for the glue : make sure your glue is completely dry before applying your wig... 3 super thin layers of ultra hold   between layers wait 20 mins or blow dry on cool for 5 mins
apply your wig & immedeately tie it down using a scarf or what ever you use to tie the perimmeter down with for 30 mins

swimming ...
DO NOT PULL HAIR INTO A PONYTAIL !!!  french braid it down your back using a ponytail holder at the end. 

after swimming rinse hair under a shower still french braided for 5-10 mins ... use a tsp of clarifying shampoo diluted and pour over your head then rinse ... use a deep conditioner on hair & not perimeter leave on for 5 mins then rinse & use a leave in conditioner for further protection. loosen the french braid now and brush through & let air dry.

hmm ... http://public.fotki.com/intlbabygirl/
embermiya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote embermiya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2008 at 1:15am
Why shouldn't you put your hair in a ponytail?
Tea4Two View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tea4Two Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2008 at 11:54am
Originally posted by embermiya embermiya wrote:

I would think the weight of the wet ponytail would help loosen the adhesive bond.

http://public.fotki.com/Tea4Two
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Divavocals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2008 at 1:19pm

Dunno specifically why this was suggested.. but my lacefront friends followed my swimming instructions/suggestions and have had NO issues with heavy hair or anything else while swimming in their lacefronts.. The point of putting the hair in a ponytail when you go swimming is that you want to keep your hair in place to make it easier to style after you get out of the water and minimize tangling.. So ponytail, frenchbraid, whatever.. You just don't want to swim with flowing loose hair..

Edited by Divavocals - June 29 2008 at 3:54pm
Check out the 5th So Cal offline luncheon?? For more info: divahairtalk.overthehillweb.com/lunch.html

Links to my fav vendors & hair albums + Weave 101 information: divahairtalk.overthehillweb.com
sexibeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2008 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by Divavocals Divavocals wrote:

Dunno specifically why this was suggested.. but my lacefront friends followed my swimming instructions/suggestions and have had NO issues with heavy hair or anything else while swimming in their lacefronts.. The point if putting the hair in a ponytail when you go swimming is that you want to keep your hair in place to make it easier to style after you get out of the water and minimize tangling.. So ponytail, frenchbraid, whatever.. You just don't want to swim with flowing loose hair..

I understand what your saying but pony tails when dry do have an extra added weight from the hair and gravity! I would think the braiding might help to avoid tangles.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Divavocals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2008 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by sexibeach sexibeach wrote:

I understand what your saying but pony tails when dry do have an extra added weight from the hair and gravity! I would think the braiding might help to avoid tangles.

Seeing that ladies wear their wigs in ponytails, I wouldn't see wearing a ponytail being an issue at all..

Folks gotta do what makes sense to them.. I posted my tips based on personal success using them and the success of others who also used them.. I own a swimming pool and swim quite a bit so the tips I posted are from my own research on after swimming hair care tips.. My point wasn't really about ponytail versus NO ponytail.. the point was that you should not be swimming with loose hair.. So if that means a braided ponytail (as I suggested ) or a french braid, it really doesn't matter.. Just make sure that you are not swimming with loose hair to minimize tangling..

Edited by Divavocals - June 29 2008 at 2:18pm

Gin&tonic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gin&tonic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2008 at 1:21pm
What about your own hair? Would you remove the wig after swimming. I would think that it would feel weird to have my damp hair under the wig. It would take hours of sitting under the dryer if you don't take the wig off- wouldn't it?
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Divavocals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2008 at 8:24am
Gin&tonic.. Two of my lacefront friends have alopecia so this isn't an issue for them.. My other lacefront friends have their hair braided in cornrows under the lacefront.. Drying their own hair under the wigs is no different than if they were wearing a weave.. HTH

Edited by Divavocals - July 02 2008 at 8:27am

sexibeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2008 at 5:53am
Originally posted by Gin&tonic Gin&tonic wrote:

What about your own hair? Would you remove the wig after swimming. I would think that it would feel weird to have my damp hair under the wig. It would take hours of sitting under the dryer if you don't take the wig off- wouldn't it?

Gin&tonic that wouldn't be a good thing for your natural hair and to continue to wear a lf without washing out the chemicals. the dampness can cause follicle fungas, if lack of moisture which our hair needs so badly.. so i wouldn't want to continue to wear it too long after swimming, I'd have to get to my hair timely to get that taken care of.. besides i'm sure the chemicals from the pool would dry you hair out bad and if left unattended too long could cause some damage and/or breakage.
sexibeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2008 at 6:00am
Originally posted by Divavocals Divavocals wrote:

Originally posted by sexibeach sexibeach wrote:

Seeing that ladies wear their wigs in ponytails, I wouldn't see wearing a ponytail being an issue at all..

Folks gotta do what makes sense to them.. I posted my tips based on personal success using them and the success of others who also used them.. I own a swimming pool and swim quite a bit so the tips I posted are from my own research on after swimming hair care tips.. My point wasn't really about ponytail versus NO ponytail.. the point was that you should not be swimming with loose hair.. So if that means a braided ponytail (as I suggested ) or a french braid, it really doesn't matter.. Just make sure that you are not swimming with loose hair to minimize tangling..

Well i agree you definitely wouldn't want to have the hair loose to avoid tangling.. but the ponytails can be worn but at times depending on the density it can be heavy, like when i went to japan i brought all these beautiful hair pony tail bands, but I can't wear them b/c it just adds to the weight, and in the heat we don't want no slippage.. and with water the added to the weight of the hair, and gravity can make a difference especially if your pony tail is up high, might not be as bad with a low pony tail.. I know that swimming with weave and/frontal is different then swimming with a enclosed lf. if i did go in the pool i'd probably be more comfortable with weave than a lf..but nevertheless it can be done, if you wanna do anything bad enough you'll make it work!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic