Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My Best Bond In Record Setting Heat

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Curlygirl11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curlygirl11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Best Bond In Record Setting Heat
    Posted: June 21 2008 at 1:59am

So we've been having a major heat wave with record setting temps for the past week where I live. Near my house and in the cities where I work the temps have ranged from 98 degrees to 108 degrees all week. I have been dreading this time of year because of all the horror stories I've read about napes lifting and units sliding back off of people's heads when it gets really hot Shocked I was really scared and thought I might end up having to do  a new app every 2-3 days Confused 

I decided to experiment with a new combo of adhesives this week and hit the jackpot! Instead of putting tape around the perimeter of my lace and 1 layer of Vapon or Davlyn on my skin this week I did a nearly tape free application. The reason I decided to lose the tape is because it was seeming to me like the smooth surface of the tape against the smooth surface of the adhesive made it easier for the unit to slip and slide in higher temps. Soooooo, I figured if I put extra layers of adhesive on my skin and left the tape off my lace it would allow the grids of my lace to sink down into the adhesive and get a good grip.

It's Friday and normally I would be removing my unit tonight but I'm not because my app is still VERY tight even after 5 days of temps in the 100's and I want to see how long it will actually last if I don't remove it. I only had to do 1 touch up behind my right ear 2 nights ago and I think that's because I hadn't been wearing a scarf or anything when I went to bed at night.

Here is what I did:

1. cleaned my skin with regular alcohol
2. used q-tips to apply 1 thick layer of Top Guard skin protector then let dry
3. used q-tips to apply 1 layer of Vapon No-Tape from the blue tube and let dry for 15-20 minutes
4. applied 1 layer of HD Bond with applicator brush in bottle and let dry for 15 minutes
5. used q-tips to apply 1 thick layer of Invisibond and let dry for 10 minutes or until completely clear.
6. put 1 piece of Proflex No-Shine tape at edge of lace where part would be
7. put one long piece of Super Tape on underside of lace where hair was parted

Note: Don't use the cheap brand of q-tips cuz they'll leave a mess in your adhesive. Also, Invisibond alone won't even hold for 2 hours on me so the only reason I put it on top of the Vapon NT and HD Bond was to take away some of the shine and to add an extra layer of adhesive for the grids of the lace to sink down into.

Once I applied the unit I used the back of my comb to push the lace down on my skin so the grids could sink down into the dried adhesive and get a solid grip. I then wrapped my perimeter with a scarf and went to bed so the bond could cure overnight. After wrapping it with a scarf that 1st night I haven't been wrapping it at night. I just pull it up into lobster claw clip or a high pony tail and go to bed.

Before I tried this I  thought for sure I would be doing endless touch-ups once the weather got hot cuz my tape usually starts to lift and slide on my oily skin when I get too hot for too long. Despite the crazy heat out here my app is still holding strong on day 5 and my nape is more comfortable and secure than it normally is with my normal tape and adhesive combo.

I hope this helps somebody else and saves them from giving up on lf's for the summer or from having to reapply every few days.  

2Cor 12:8-9
Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness".
yrstrly71 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yrstrly71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2008 at 2:31am
thanks for the tip! I'm in hot, humid Florida! I did an app on Monday with liquid bandaid by NewSkin I just bought from Walmart, with two layers of UH, and I still have a tight hold without any lifts! Suprising! I think it was the liquid bandaid because I've never had good results before with the UH.
only what you do for Christ will last!
www.freestylewigs.com
www.orlandolacewigs.com
sexibeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2008 at 2:12pm
This is great information, altho depending on location and skin chemistry you gotta do what you gotta do.. I use to have to change up my combo's for the summer, so far I"m still using my winter mode, with a thin layer of mity tight and over lay lightly ORWG just at the front hairline.. super tape and side contour tapes that are straight, i usually cut them in half to make them small, and stick on my skin on the adhesive and then run a little adhesive on the top to make sure everything sticks its holding for now.. we've only been in the 80's tho, so i don't know if this will hold up in the 90's so i better be getting me some HD just in case..
*Mrs.Hoyle* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Mrs.Hoyle* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2008 at 6:58pm
Thanks 4 the tip! Curlygirl11,I am about to adopt you and sexibeach as my LF sin seis..LOLLOL
charron08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charron08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2008 at 2:37pm
thank you SOOO much..i dnt kno if u r in Cali like me..but i live in the inland empire..its been 105 every day..and yall kno i just bought my wig..so i was def worried..thanks sooo much!
Weave Queen
www.myspace.com/weavesbycharron07
keedielove View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keedielove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2008 at 8:06pm
charron08...i live in la and am going out of town on wednesday. i need some tape for my lf and dont have the time to wait for it to come. are there any places you know of that sell tape or glue? i tried invisibond but it doesnt create a strong bond for me so i wanted to use tape with it. i'm also gonna try the liquid bandaid trick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curlygirl11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2008 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by *Mrs.Hoyle* *Mrs.Hoyle* wrote:

Thanks 4 the tip! Curlygirl11,I am about to adopt you and sexibeach as my LF sin seis..LOLLOL

Okay Ms. Hoyle, sin seis says "wax on, wax off". LOL I know that was corny but I just couldn't help it.
Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness".

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curlygirl11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2008 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by charron08 charron08 wrote:

thank you SOOO much..i dnt kno if u r in Cali like me..but i live in the inland empire..its been 105 every day..and yall kno i just bought my wig..so i was def worried..thanks sooo much!

Yep Charron, I'm in the IE too and those 100 and above temps were NOT nice. My bond lasted until late Saturday night though so that was a full 6 day hold in all that heat. I'm pleasantly surprised.
ketchyclass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ketchyclass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2008 at 6:26pm
Anybody tried Extra strength medical spirit Kryon(I think that's the name)? How did that work. What about EB anyone tried that, how did that work as well???
It's all in God's hands!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic