Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sea change in attitudes on guys with long hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BillB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sea change in attitudes on guys with long hair
    Posted: July 09 2008 at 2:13am
Hello all:

This is my first post here although I have vistied the Hair Boutique site for a number of years.

I am a guy that has worn his hair collar to shoulderlength for a long time. Over the past couple of years I have noticed a distinct change in the attitude of people, women in particular, concerning guys wearing their hair long. It seems to me that more and more women are openly saying that they find guys with long hair attractive. I have always thought that if women became more vocal about their feelings on this subject that a whole lot of opposition to it would suddenly disappear. This seems to be happening.

The other day the Chicago Tribune ran a story about how two very high profile mothers are raising their boys with long hair. I can not imagine a more positive message to a guy saying that it is okay to wear long hair than that. It does not end there though. I have also noticed that women seem more willing to tell a guy in public places that they like his long hair. Has anybody else noticed a similar trend?

Here is a link to the Tribune article:

BillB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2008 at 9:42pm
29 (at this point) views and not one comment?
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2008 at 9:31am
Then I add my voice to the many, long hair on guys is hot, and always has been!  You're right, it is nice that more people are starting to notice.  I would guess it has more to do with more long haired males in roles on television and in movies that average people are more likely to see every day (as opposed to when it was mostly guys in heavy bands that only got exposure amongst a smaller crowd who appreciated the look).

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Traci_cheer07 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Traci_cheer07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2008 at 3:43pm
Hi Bill, I totally agree. My son, now 12, has had long hair for most of his life and the last few years has been wearing it in some pretty feminine styles (curled, headbands, braids, etc.) I would say the times he gets teased or looked-down-on for having long hair -- even wearing it in "girls hairdo" -- are extremely rare. I hear lots of compliments from other Moms & I know of at least 2 other boys who have started growing their hair out after seeing my son's.

This goes along with the trend that lots of people have commented on here, of men & boys starting to do stuff with their hair -- color, highlights, curls, etc. -- that were traditionally considered "girls-only." I take my son to my stylist and she's told me that I'd be amazed how many times she's had women bring in their sons, husbands, or boyfriends for highlights, roller sets and other styles. last week she told me she'd done an updo for a guy who was in a wedding!

As the mom of a long haired son I am so glad that these kinds of prejudices are going away! 
julesyjul88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2008 at 1:32am
HI Bill! I have ALWAYS loved long hair on guys.Even in middle school it was the guys with long that I had crushes on. My husband had hair down to his waist when I met him and I thought it was soo hot! He stood out in a crowd of guys with crew cuts,and definitely caught my attention!
It would be nice if women stopped wanting cookie cutter looking men.
cwa14n3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cwa14n3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2008 at 7:44pm
Agreed,
I am still in Uncle Sam's military. 25 plus years. My wife promised she would grew her mid length (too short for her) collar length, mane to her hips when I grow a pony tail. She thinks I will not do it. Well after I hang up the uniform, I told her LOL, her locks will be getting much longer too. I don't care what color she chooses, but we will be growing our hair much longer together. Mine is getting silver, but it is full and thick. I think all one length, no bangs, layers or thinning will be the easiest. I think about 14-16 inches, neatly coiffed, No ragged ends is my goal. After 34 years of cutting it short, I will let it grow long for the next 30+ years. A couple family members and some "left of center" friends think I am immature in my future plans. But I remind them, I have that right.  Why is it, that it offends them and their "fashion sense"? I am not asking their approval. If I mentioned their overweight condition, I would be acting like a rude jerk. Why do they have a free pass to express the judgements, as their own opinions, worthy of respect, but mine should be criticized?  Frankly I think they are insecure. If they cannot rule their own troubled life, they need to focus on getting their own house in order before deciding my personal choices.  With a 48 inch chest, 36 inch waist at 190 lbs, running 10 miles a week, and still hitting the weights, I still feel like I am 30. What do the other board members think? Am I being immature, trying to reclaim my lost youth? Or just another free spirit enjoying my hard earned freedoms, and saying no to the PC nazis?
Just Me
julesyjul88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2008 at 6:18am
People always have an opinion about everything.My mom believes if you arent blonde,then you arent pretty.When I dyed my hair back to brown (my real color) I have been getting crap from her about it the last two years!
You know what? In one ear and out the other....do what makes you happy!!!
If you find you dont like it,you can always cut it again later.
TMortis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMortis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2008 at 8:09am
I am always amazed at the people who don't mind giving you their opinion like it is fact, and the only way things have to be.  I too love long hair on me. I used to perm it for body, but that had to stop I just had it with all the negative comments.  Everyone i know always has to have some sort of negative comment. Like- ' time for a haircut isn't it?" What are you trying to be...a girl? Never, hey love the look...or nice hair. My hair isn't all that long, over the collar and below my ears on the sides right now.
Tommi
Lickalime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lickalime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2008 at 3:30pm
not a fan of long hair on men just like I am not a fan of short hair on women

I personally think men look better with short hair  *just my opinion*
I am at 32"
~goal length 36"
carrie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2008 at 3:48pm
I have always liked long hair on men with some caveats.  I do not like it on men when it is either overly fine and thus stringy or when the man is losing his hair on top and has a long mane.  It just looks unattractive to me.  I guess what I am saying is that it depends on the man and the condition of his hair.  Which is exactly how I feel about women.  I think if a woman takes good care of her hair, long hair can be gorgeous.  But on some women, it just doesn't look fabulous.  Ultimately I think everyone should wear the hair the way they want to...but if they ask my opinion...there it is.  :-)
Curly Carrie
Check Out CurlTalk at HairBoutique.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic