Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Baby shampoo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kaycee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaycee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Baby shampoo
    Posted: January 01 2003 at 8:07pm
A friend of mine, has been known to use baby shampoo on her hair, as it`s very gentle.

Any thoughts on this? Experiences? Feedback would be fab!

x
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2003 at 8:07am
Hi Kaycee! It really, really depends on the brand and specific product. On the whole, baby shampoos are indeed much gentler because they contain amphoteric surfactant detergents, which are milder than the stuff we use. BUT these aren`t at all deep cleansing shampoos, because babies aren`t using conditioner, gel, hairspray, wax, mousse, pomade, etc. Unfortunately most adults DO use the above products; hence we need more than baby shampoo to completely purify our hair. Baby shampoos simply aren`t designed to remove buildup, which can leave hair flat and rather gross after awhile! Most people who know much about trichology will tell you that babies should use baby shampoo and adults should stick to the grown-up stuff.

However, as amazing as it is some baby shampoos contain ingredients too harsh for even adult skin and hair. Example: Tom`s of Maine tout its "Natural" Baby Shampoo as "extremely mild and gentle." Bull! Its second ingredient is sodium lauryl sulfate! I`m 21 and I wouldn`t put that on my own head, much less on an infant`s. (It doesn`t cause cancer--see my recent post on this subject--but it`s still too harsh for most skin.) Rainwater Baby Shampoo from Nature`s Gate lists TEA-lauryl sulfate second among its ingredients. Eegads!

:-)

Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
Kaycee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaycee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2003 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by Lyris Lyris wrote:

Hi Kaycee! It really, really depends on the brand and specific product. On the whole, baby shampoos are indeed much gentler because they contain amphoteric surfactant detergents, which are milder than the stuff we use. BUT these aren't at all deep cleansing shampoos, because babies aren't using conditioner, gel, hairspray, wax, mousse, pomade, etc. Unfortunately most adults DO use the above products; hence we need more than baby shampoo to completely purify our hair. Baby shampoos simply aren't designed to remove buildup, which can leave hair flat and rather gross after awhile! Most people who know much about trichology will tell you that babies should use baby shampoo and adults should stick to the grown-up stuff.

However, as amazing as it is some baby shampoos contain ingredients too harsh for even adult skin and hair. Example: Tom's of Maine tout its "Natural" Baby Shampoo as "extremely mild and gentle." Bull! Its second ingredient is sodium lauryl sulfate! I'm 21 and I wouldn't put that on my own head, much less on an infant's. (It doesn't cause cancer--see my recent post on this subject--but it's still too harsh for most skin.) Rainwater Baby Shampoo from Nature's Gate lists TEA-lauryl sulfate second among its ingredients. Eegads!

:-)

thanks honey! :>
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic