Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Deep conditioner you recommend?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Katherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Deep conditioner you recommend?
    Posted: July 22 2008 at 6:03pm
Hi all,

Can anybody recommend a deep conditioner of some kind?  I do a weekly hot oil treatment and get good results, but it's the kind you only leave on for a minute.  This weekend I'm going to have more time, and I'd like to leave something on for an hour or so under a shower cap, a real deep conditioning.  I have not had good results with jojoba oil, so something other than that if possible.

Thanks!!!
hairbraider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2008 at 8:44am
I didn't have much luck with jojoba oil either.  But I like using olive oil for deep treatments.  I slather it on and bun my hair.  I leave it on for several hours as I go about my business at home.  An hour under a shower cap and a warm towel should have about the same results.
sarah
40 inches
did henna for the first time
click here to go to My Hair Space
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2008 at 10:41am
If you're going to spend an hour on it, mayonnaise is actually excellent for that.  (Fatty kind of mayo, not lowfat or miracle whip).

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Katherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2008 at 10:24pm
Thank you both!
paper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2008 at 7:35am
Susan, is mayo safe for color treated hair?
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2008 at 8:00am
I don't know, but I'm not sure it is.  Eggs are very basic, and mayo also contains vinegar (an acid).  I'm not sure what the pH of mayo actually is, but different pHs are often used by those who want to help their dye wash out when it comes out too dark.

Acidic solutions can help some dyes slide out, alkaline helps other dyes come out.  I'm not sure which dyes, all I know is some people claim clarifying shampoo (which is acid) helps their dye wash out, and other people claim it does nothing to theirs, but that a baking soda shampoo mix helps theirs wash out (baking soda is alkaline). 

So it depends!  If you want to keep your dye job nice, I probably wouldn't risk it.  Most people who do hair color will use treatments from the beauty supply shop (usually full of protein and/or silicones, but hair dye acts as a clarifier when its applied through to the ends, stripping off buildup, so cones don't tend to be a big worry for frequent-dyers.

Edited to say:  Wikipedia just told me mayo has a pH of 3.8 - 4.6, if that's true that would make it more acidic than regular shampoo, which is around 5-7.  So if a clarifying shampoo would ruin your dye, I wouldn't use mayo either.

Edited by Susan W - July 25 2008 at 8:09am
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
paper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2008 at 8:05am
Ok, that makes sense. Thanks Susan.
Lengthygoal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lengthygoal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2008 at 9:06pm
If the olive oil or mayonase doesn't work out. Try coconut oil! I've been using a kind found in the baking aisle of the grocery store. It melts at 77 degrees. For deep conditioning I take about a tablespoon amount and rub it in from the roots up and then really slather it on about the last 3 inches of my hair. I haven't tried it as a hot oil treatment but I"m sure it would be great. I usally go to bed with my hair oiled.
AngelaTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AngelaTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2008 at 8:41pm
Aveda conditioners. They will leave your long tresses just lovely.
think_tom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote think_tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2008 at 10:30pm
This may be heresy, but when I had very, very long hair, Pantene Pro-V conditioner worked very well for me, and my semi-curly hair was extremely difficult to manage! Good luck!
think_tom neolight hair
Sophia1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophia1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2008 at 11:13pm
Lots of great answers ! I agree Pantene ProV is an affordable staple for hair conditioning.

Olive oil is great but I feel it can leave a heavy residue sometimes. So now I just add a small dab of olive oil to my conditioner and leave it on for a few minutes and that seems to work better.

I have been bleaching for several years and Nature's Therapy by L'oreal is an excellent conditioner for really damaged or dry hair. I think you can get this at a beauty supple store.

Also, another cheap alternative is pure aloe gel mixed with conditioner- works as a good overall conditioner.
tdouty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdouty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2008 at 2:50pm
We use mayo on Jennifer's hair when we have time, but we recently tried a new product and find that it works great and leaves her hair feeling as nice as mayo.  The first day of the treatment, her hair feels ok, but we really notice it on the second day.  Her hair is smooth and silky and really easy to detangle just by running fingers through it.  The product is Pantene Hair Mask.  Maybe it's been around a while, but we only recently discovered it.  Jennifer's hair likes to have new products once in a while and this one is working great when we use it about once a week.  By the way, Jennifer's hair is now around 5" below her beltline and hasn't been trimmed at all for over 3 years.

Edited by tdouty - November 13 2008 at 2:30pm

1c.m.ii
36" as of January 14, 2008
lifelovebeauty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lifelovebeauty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2008 at 8:11pm
I like deep conditioning products with sea kelp. I think I tried something by john frieda before that was only $4 for a jar and it worked nicely. I love the thought of coconut oil but don't know where to start with adding oil to my hair unless it is already contained in a shampoo or conditioning product.

Good luck!
~
Life Love Beauty
suicides_eve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suicides_eve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2009 at 6:59pm
honey is a great mega moisturizing conditioner. I like Nexxus Humcantress. It's a staple in my shower.
If you like cone products- Neutragena hair masque worked great on my hair  back before i opted for cone free stuff
Dark40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dark40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2010 at 6:58pm
I would recommend Cholestrol Deep Conditioning Treatment by Queen Helen.  You can get it any beauty supply store.

Edited by Dark40 - August 22 2010 at 6:59pm
longhairblonde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longhairblonde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2010 at 12:17pm
I use Aussie 3 Minute Miracle twice a week (sometimes more if my hair's feeling dry). I simply adore the stuff. It smells lovely, as well. My hair loves it! I always leave it on longer than 3 minutes, though.
Dark40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dark40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2011 at 5:29pm
I also love the Aussie 3 minute miracle stuff too, and yes the smell is awesome!
Shannon D. Bax
Dark40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dark40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2011 at 2:39pm
A deep conditioner that I would recommend is Cholestrol Deep Conditioning Cream by Queen Helene.  It really work my hair wonders! :)
Shannon D. Bax
Dark40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dark40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2011 at 3:34pm
A good deep conditioner I would recommend is  cholestrol by Queen Helene.  That is a really good deep conditioner!  It really work my hair wonders!  Especially when I have dry hair and scalp.  Or dry ends.
Shannon D. Bax
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic