Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Giving up the buns

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Addy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Addy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Giving up the buns
    Posted: September 14 2008 at 3:40pm
Can we see a picture of it down, in all it's glory?
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2008 at 7:22am
Thanks Kimbearly!  I wouldn't say my hair feels better, as it gets more tangly, but I am enjoying it more, and feeling happier.  So it's all working out.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
30isthenewblack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 30isthenewblack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2008 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by paper paper wrote:

I agree, Long curly hair is beautiful! Congrats 30 on reaching your mini goal. Clap Good luck!

Thanks Paper! I haven't reached it yet but almost there! I will definitely be there by Xmas 08 Smile
www.30isthenewblack.com
Kimbearly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbearly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2008 at 7:15pm
Susan,  I love your hair I think you should show it off.  I always wear my hair down when I am going out.  How have you been doing without the buns?  Does your hair feel better?
paper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2008 at 5:05am
I agree, Long curly hair is beautiful! Congrats 30 on reaching your mini goal. Clap Good luck!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 30isthenewblack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2008 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by Susan W Susan W wrote:

Yeah, I don't care what I look like so much when I go to work, so I could always protect it sometimes.  When your hair gets to waist length, its going to be so beautiful!  Curly hair is rare enough to see very long that it really looks great when people do grow it and take care of it.

I try & wear my hair back when I go back to work & put it down for the weekends. I think wearing it back has been a huge factor in my hair's growth. I do think about treating my hair like antique lace & now it's growing very longer, I am conscious of where it is sitting on chair's and on the train etc I was sitting behind a girl with long curly hair & she kept on flicking it around so much so that it landed in the pages of the book of the guy behind her & she didn't notice. It was quite funny but I wish she was more protective of her hair.

Thank you for the compliment Big%20smile My hair is now starting to sit just above BSL curly which was my Christmas goal so that will definitely be reached. My longest layer is only 2" to 3" away from my waist about now when I pull it straight. My hair is an afro curl as my mother has afro hair & my father has straight hair so I think it will be great if I can grow it to my goal of hip (so it can bounce back to waist curly) as it is so rare to see someone with long afro curly hair. Of course part of that reason is that it springs up so much! It will be a long journey as I am trying to grow my layers longer but it will be worth it!
www.30isthenewblack.com
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2008 at 12:01pm
Yeah, I don't care what I look like so much when I go to work, so I could always protect it sometimes.  When your hair gets to waist length, its going to be so beautiful!  Curly hair is rare enough to see very long that it really looks great when people do grow it and take care of it.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 30isthenewblack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2008 at 8:16pm
I agree Susan W. I don't see the point of growing your hair if you're going to wear it in up-dos all the time & not take pleasure in having long, glorious hair. I have been putting my hair in braids or putting it in a neat knot at the back of my head to protect my hair & it also means that as a curly head, I don't have to constantly put product in my hair. However, my hair is at a tricky length with the longest layers only 1.5" past BSL when I pull it straight. When it grows to waist curly, I will wear it down more & enjoy it. I always wear it down when I go out or on a special occasion. I don't really like the way it looks back but I think to myself, short term loss and long term gain.
www.30isthenewblack.com
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2008 at 7:55am
I agree, you don't want her to think you aren't happy because I know you are!

Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2008 at 4:21pm
     Hi Suse! Sounds as if you do enjoy lots of cool looks. As for my wife, she likes her hair braided in pigtails when it's not down. At the moment she has no shorter pieces. I'm loathe to suggest anything different, lest it sound like a complaint. I wouldn't want to be misconstrued, even for a moment! (lol) Cordially, Bob whistling 
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2008 at 7:22am
Yep, enjoy it paper!

Bob, back when I didn't have bangs, I always kept the bangs area at chin length to do just that!  I'd part it in the middle or side, and leave it hanging to my chin when the rest was in a ponytail.  A lot of people liked it. I suppose I could cut another chin length piece behind or on the side of the bangs I have now, but I can't imagine a way I could leave a really long piece out.  Does your wife do that with a shorter piece too, or a long piece?  If a long piece, in what style?

Sarah, agreed, I have trouble tolerating the really hot days with it down!

Lengthygoal, yeah, the only way I used to wear it down in the past few months had been a low ponytail on the side (kind of behind the ear but a little lower).  It was nice because I could wear my hair in the front.  I'd often put a small rope or braid in it too to make it more interesting.  I think I will still wear it that way.

Lengthygoal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lengthygoal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2008 at 12:01am

My hair isn't that long yet but still longer than most of the people around me and to show it off I usually wear it in a low ponytail at the nape of my neck. Its comfy but still shows of the length and iIsuppose is a little protected!

hairbraider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2008 at 10:37pm
Susan, I totally agree!  I've always said that if my hair ever got so long that it was impractical to wear it down, I'd cut it.  I love wearing it loose that much.  I know it's not the best thing for keeping it in good condition, but...

Since I started working again, I wear my hair up probably 80% of the time now.  (And since it's summer, 90-95% lately.)  I do get tired of it quickly.  I've even started to care less about how good it looks (the frizz-factor, the bounciness of the curls, etc.) because it may be the only chance I have that week to wear it down.  I used to put it up to hide a bad hair day! lol

It's true - you have to decide which is more important.
sarah
40 inches
did henna for the first time
click here to go to My Hair Space
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2008 at 3:15pm
     Hey Susan! What indeed is the point of long hair if it brings no pleasure to its owner? Honestly, my wife's least attractive style is pulled back taut. I had always hated it. But, once she tried a part with it up, and I loved it!
     I have always thought that a lot of women on boards protect their hair to the point that all the fun is sucked out. Yes, my wife blow dries in cold weather, and leaves it loose often. And her hair looks great. When it must be protected, simple braiding is fine.
     If you'd like to hear a secret, Susan, I'd suggest that when you do wear it up, leave a small section loose. It leaves the viewer wondering. There's nothing wrong with a little piqued mystery! Wink Blessings, Bob
paper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2008 at 11:04am
I hope I feel that way too, Susan, when my hair gets long. Even though my hair is only shoulder length, I can wear it up, but usually don't, even when it's 90 out.
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2008 at 7:59am
So often we longhairs wear our hair up or back to protect it.  We might be forgetting why we grew it long in the first place.  I was anyway.

I recently saw a couple of photos of myself (something I hate to see!), and realized I don't even look good from the front with my hair in updos.  This is something I knew, but since I'm older and don't really care what I look like anymore, didn't really bug me.  I've been wearing buns or other updos every day for many years now with the idea that I was protecting my hair.  For what?  So I could look like cr@p everyday I guess!

I'm sure I'll still wear updos occasionally, but I didn't grow it long to wear it up, I grew it long because I liked how it looked down and flowing.  I realize I forgot that completely in an attempt to preserve it.  It'll probably be more damaged this way, maybe I won't even be able to grow more than to maintain it at waist length, we'll see.  At least now I'll be looking how I wanted to look in the first place, and enjoying it more.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic