Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

no surfucants...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
turquoise_girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turquoise_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: no surfucants...
    Posted: February 04 2003 at 9:26pm
i've recently been trying a shampoo that has no ammonium laurlyl/laureth sulfate or sodium lauryl/laureth sulfate. they are called surfucants, right? well, its wierd because its almost like the shampoo doesn't really clean my hair. has anyone else experienced this?thanks:)
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2003 at 7:35am
Yes.
I tried the Desert Essence shampoo which contains no sulfates. I did not feel it cleaned my hair or scalp well. However, maybe I was just used to the effect of having the natural oils stripped from my hair (lol).

Anyway, since then I have experimented with washing my hair with different substances and as illogical as it may seem, I now "wash" exclusively with a mixture of conditioner and essential oil.
It works really well and I am suprised and pleased with the results.

Uzma
Uzi

rrobey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrobey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2003 at 8:03am
Uzma, what do you use to make your mixture?

Thanks.
Becky
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2003 at 9:25am
Hi Turquoise,

Yes, the sulfates you listed are surfactant cleansing agents found in most shampoos. Note that they vary considerably in strength and harshness. These detergents fall into several categories:

Anionic, which contains negatively charged ions, is rather harsh; cationic: positively charged and much milder; and amphorteric, which cannot clean well and is generally used only in baby shampoos. You might well have been using a shampoo containing amphorteric cleansers, which really can't remove the buildup caused from adult styling products and oil production. Most cleansers beginning with "coca" (cocamidopropyl betaine, cocamide MEA
are too mild to thoroughly clean hair on their own, so they are usually present in conjunction with other cationic/anionic surfactants.

TEA-lauryl sulfate and sodium lauryl sulfate are two surfactants to avoid as they can strip moisture from hair and scalp. Do not confuse these with sodium laureth sulfate, which is considered mild.

That was probably WAY more chemistry than you wanted, but I hope it helps! :-)
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2003 at 12:18pm
Hi Becky

I used 2 bottles of Citre Shine Moisture Boost conditioner (it's the only conditioner in their range without cones), I bottle of Neal's Yard basic conditioner, 5ml of mandarin eo, 3ml of rosemary eo and about 2ml of Bergamot eo.

Wet hair, apply the mix generously, massage gently yet thoroughly onto the scalp and work into the length of the hair. Leave for 15 mins (do other stuff meanwhile) then rinse with warm/hot waterand do a final rinse with cool/cold water.
Once a month, rinse with a weak solution of apple cider vinegar (1:20 ACV:H2O ratio) in the hot water rinse.
Uzi

wittils View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wittils Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2003 at 11:13pm
Here is one... Avalon Organic Botanicals. There are different "flavors" but the one I have on hand is the Lemon Verbena clarifying shampoo. No sodium lauryl or laureth sulfate. Ingredients include: Certified organic lemon verbena and lavender floral waters, extracts of calendula, echinacea, lemon balm, sage, sea kelp extract, olefin sulfonate, cocamidopropyl betaine (here's that ingredient Lyris was talking about) aloe barbadensis, panthenol, niacin, vitamin b-complex, soy protien, vegetable glycerin, citric acid, methyl/propylparaben, and lastly essential oils. I am not a chemist but I know I get good results with this shampoo and the conditioner. I mostly use Back to Basics Ginger Therapy shampoo and conditioner, it has sodium laureth sulfate in it and doesn't sound any where near as nice as the Avalon... but I get good results with it and it seems gentle too. I love the Ginger Therapy Masque. It all smells so great and the masque really softens the hair. After spending much money on hair products these are the ones I've settled on in the recent years. And my hair is happy.
Precious is the day... it happens only once in a lifetime.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turquoise_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2003 at 9:18pm
the shampoo that i tried was avalon lavendar shampoo. i guess i can't really say that it "didn't clean my hair" cuz it did- just not as much as i'm used to. i'm thinking of trying giovanni 50/50 shampoo but i'm not sure. i think i'll try the avalon for a little while longer to see if my hair gets used to it.
uzma, what is your hair like? dry? because i have a normal/oily scalp but all the rest of the way down its super dry. it sounds like the condition only wash would feel nice on most of my hair but then my scalp would look like a mop...:).
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2003 at 1:50pm
My scalp is normal and my hair is thick, coarse, porous and dry.
I guess if you tried this method, you would be better off using a light conditioner well-diluted.

Others (on the LHC board) with oily scalp have reported that the first week of doing conditioner-only washes, their scalp felt heavy and greasy. By 10 day and onwards, their scalp had normalised and has given them no problems since.

Why not try it - you have nothing to lose - especially if you buy a cheap conditioner and experiment for a couple of weeks.
Uzi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turquoise_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2003 at 3:19pm
thanks, i think i will give it a try with a lightweight conditioner. and sorry- one more question(i know i ask too many) but how often do you wash with the conditioner? is it an every day thing? thanks again.:)
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2003 at 12:05pm
I do a Conditioner-only wash every alternate day usually.
However, when the weather has been extereme (we've had blizzards in the U.K last week) than I CO wash ever night to replenish the moisture that has been whipped out by the wind, indoor heating, etc.
As everyones hair is different I guess you will need to discover what suits you.

Have fun experimenting...I hope it works for you.

Uzi

MakavelisAshley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MakavelisAshley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2003 at 7:18pm
How long does it take a CO wash to effect your hair, I tried it last night and its still dry-- I use a Hot Tools Straightner about everyday set on 10 and my hair is so dry... if I don't wash with shampoo it get oily so would CO washing for a long time moistureize and clean?
Ley
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2003 at 6:44pm
I tried the Avalon lavendar shampoo and conditioner duo after reading about it on this board. It works really great. My dryish hair feels clean afterwards and smells wonderful. It also feels beautifully soft.

The only down side is that on the day after, I felt like I wanted to wash it again, rather than skip the wash. I usually only wash and condition every other day.

I love the Avalon duo and will definitely continue using it, though. The price is decent, too. It was around $6 in Shop Rite.
[/url]

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic