Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Professional short hair advice needed.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Leanan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Professional short hair advice needed.
    Posted: February 07 2003 at 4:56am
Fellow readers,
this is no joke, though it feels like one...

I am in my early 30s and have always been a bit of a wild child when it came to hair. From elbow length to shaved, from bleached blond to red to blue, green, purple...until...beginning of this year.
Having worked as a DBA I had no problems with this, since everybody seems to think those people are computer geeks anyway, crazy people...

I changed careers and love it. But I need a more professional do, desperately, since I am visiting customers, presenting the company at fairs, give presentations to employees as well as senior management, dinners with customers...

I am growing out a crewcut since beginning of the year (my new year resolution) and my hair is its natural colour for the first time in about 16 years.
I don't want to go back to long hair, but I need your help and opinion on what a professional short cut could look like.
My hair is dark ash blond with some white (natural), thick and slightly wavy. I have a lovely clowlick on the right side, which makes my hair stand up like a brush. I part it there, for convenience.
It is slightly longer than an inch and growing.
I wear glasses and my face is oval-oblong.

So if you have any advise, idea - it is greatly appreciated. With my hair history I hardly have any experience...

ThanX!!!!!

There is not only black and white, there is also grey

Leanan
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2003 at 9:47am
I can't tell for sure from your name if you are male or female. If you are a guy, stick with conservative short hair and please keep it your natural color. Visit a professional, upscale stylist (if your new job pays well enough) and ask for his/her advise. They can generally steer you in the right direction.

If you are a lady, the same applies about the upscale stylist but you have more style options. Your hair sounds very nice too. I would start with a style that takes advantage of the wave you described and don't be afraid to get highlights or something. Again, the stylist can steer you in the right direction with work appropriate styles that work with your face and body.

I got the impression that you are interacting with older people (like me) who are more corporate and conservative (unfortunately me again). I can tell you that what looks most appropriate in that environment is someone who is well groomed with well cut/colored/styled hair, nothing shocking or unusual as you have already determined. You will know when the style is right, believe me. Unfortunately it makes a big difference in corporate world.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
Leanan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2003 at 9:55am
Thank you for your reply.
I am a lady and you are right about the people I am dealing with.
I am based in Europe, but working for an American company, the executives I am presenting to are mainly US citizen and - I don't know how old you are - but well into their 40s and up. Only one female executive, the rest are gentlemen.

I never had highlights, though I am sure they would suit me, and I will have to look for a good salon. This is going to be an interesting task since I am living in a village with mostly elderly (retired) citizens.

People already noticed I am toning down and this is well received so far. Feels strange, but in a good way.

Again: thank you!

Leanan

Originally posted by demodoll demodoll wrote:

I can't tell for sure from your name if you are male or female. If you are a guy, stick with conservative short hair and please keep it your natural color. Visit a professional, upscale stylist (if your new job pays well enough) and ask for his/her advise. They can generally steer you in the right direction.

If you are a lady, the same applies about the upscale stylist but you have more style options. Your hair sounds very nice too. I would start with a style that takes advantage of the wave you described and don't be afraid to get highlights or something. Again, the stylist can steer you in the right direction with work appropriate styles that work with your face and body.

I got the impression that you are interacting with older people (like me) who are more corporate and conservative (unfortunately me again). I can tell you that what looks most appropriate in that environment is someone who is well groomed with well cut/colored/styled hair, nothing shocking or unusual as you have already determined. You will know when the style is right, believe me. Unfortunately it makes a big difference in corporate world.
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2003 at 12:13pm
Well it certainly sounds as though you are on the right track. I am in my mid forties and have worked in a corporate environment for 20 years. Although most people are secretly wild, most tend toward conservative dress and hair, just because that is what is generally acceptable. I guess when we get older and can retire we'll all go wild again. It is sort of fun to change your look though. Enjoy it and best of luck with the job. Your very best friend is a good hair stylist though. Keep that in mind and you won't go wrong.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic