Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Any do-it-yourself-ers on the boar?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Gldspoon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gldspoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any do-it-yourself-ers on the boar?
    Posted: September 26 2008 at 9:01am
Hey all...I'm new around here but I wanted to know who else on here is a fan of taking their hair matters into their own hands? My hair NEVER looks as good and is as healthy as when I do it myself and I haven't gone to a salon on a regular basis for over 10 years. I leave it as a back up for when I feel lazy to do my hair myself or if I want a special style hooked up.

I have dreadlocks now but when I used to be relaxed I would go to the salon for a relaxer once every 3-4 months and that was IT.

Who else is on the self care bandwagon and what type of hair do you have (natural, relaxed, braids or dreds)?

Welcome to My World! Beauty Tips for Black Women
_Princess_ View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Princess_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2008 at 2:28pm
I'm on tha self-care bandwagon myself. I have very thin hair that falls out and I've been to numerous doctors & dermatologists & trichologists and they have nothing to say about my hair or anyway/ideas as to make it better. So I've been reading up on hair and different products, I'm all about having healthy, strong hair and trying to regrow tha hair that I've lost

Edited by _Princess_ - September 26 2008 at 2:35pm
Gldspoon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gldspoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2008 at 7:21pm
Hi Princess!

So they have absolutly no idea what's causing it? I have a friend who's going through the same thing. She has a little bald spot going on in the top of her head. I think she said they gave her some steroid creme to rub on it. She was taking a few months recently to plan her wedding. I think that might have been it...the stress.

Have you been ill recently or stressed about something?

Stress made my hair thin out a lot a few years ago too.

What's your plan to get your hair back on track?

Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Princess_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2008 at 1:49pm
Nope, they've done blood tests, examined my hair/scalp, gave me shampoos..No stress in my life, my hairs been thinning out since HS, I haven't been ill, perfectly healthy (least thats what I've always been told)

I've been taking hair vitamins, trying to eat healthier, get enough exercise, refrain from using harsh products on my hair, I've very gentle with my hair, wear & sleep in satin scarfs & doo-rags, I do scalp massages & try to make sure my hair has the right balance of protein & moisture

As for getting the hair I've lost to re-grow, I really don't kno what I can do to promote/stimulate growth.
Gldspoon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gldspoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2008 at 7:02pm
Hmm....that is strange. Are you relaxed or natural? 
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Princess_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2008 at 7:30pm
Natural I have some pics of what I'm talking about in my fotk..

Edited by _Princess_ - October 02 2008 at 9:15pm
Gldspoon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gldspoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2008 at 7:55pm
O.k...I'm looking now :)

Edited to add:

And I'm back. I can see it. Sometimes I wonder what doctors are good for. You have all those tests and they can't find anything.

You have very nice hair. You are definately a Type 2. It seems like the thinning is concentrated at the top of your head. I have an aunt who has this but she's always been like that. Her hair also never grows long like yours
I hope the mega-tek works for you. I'd love to hear your review after a few months.

Edited by Gldspoon - September 27 2008 at 8:00pm
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Princess_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2008 at 8:20pm
I feel the same way, @ times I don't kno what ta do about it.  Yup, thats where's thin, the bottom is fuller..I have no problem with my hair growing, its just trying to re-grow what was lost. I'll keep it updated..the main reason I created a Fotki so I can do a visual comparison of sorts.
locsoflife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote locsoflife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2008 at 11:49pm
Hi Gldspon,
Sure is nice to see another locked sista' on the board! Welcome! I've been locked almost 5 yrs. Bra stap length, and I started, and maintain them myself. I'll post a pic. Peace, Sondra...
“My hair is not dreadful to me. I tell my children curly hair loves itself so much it hugs itself and you have to tear it apart. That is why I call our hair ‘love’ locks.”

Tassili Maat
Gldspoon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gldspoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2008 at 5:08pm
Princess....I'm looking forward to reading your updates. It'll grow back though and it's going to be gorgeous when it's fuller. :)

LocksofLife.....Thanks for the warm welcome.  I've been locked for 1 year and 5 months.  I can't wait to get to brastrap length like you. I mantain myself as well. I posted some pics of my most recent tightening here. You can check them out when you have time.

Before and After Tightening
antoinette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antoinette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2008 at 7:12pm
i tried to view your picts princess and its pass protected. I do my own hair. I think its important to know how to do your hair. If your hair is thinning sometimes it comes from our DNA. I have not yet found someone to do my hair the way I do hair so I do my own hair. You have to be careful who you let do your hair! They may take your hair out!
www.myspace.com/netteo81
www.fotki.com/ifeyini
Gldspoon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gldspoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2008 at 10:41am
Couldn't agree with you more antoinette! Doing your hair yourself is the only way to ensure that it stays healthy. Nobody will love you like you do.

Don't let your stylist find out though. She'd die if she knew you know anything more than how to put your hair in a ponytail!

LOL

:)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antoinette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2008 at 10:24am
^^^^ i know! you will be surprised. i have had someone tell me that when they started going to a salon their hair was long and healthy and they noticed after the stylist started doing their hair it started breaking off and it was damaged. i do want to inform you that some stylist will take your hair out just for you to keep coming back to them. its real and you have to be aware! there are some stylist who can create a beautiful style but  your hair will be damaged and they dont care because they want your $. Not trying to put ppl on blast but even when i went to hair school there were some girls I wouldnt ever let them touch my weave not alone my hair. they dont clean their instruments and they are nasty! be careful!
www.myspace.com/netteo81
www.fotki.com/ifeyini
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Princess_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2008 at 8:04pm
I took out tha pass...haven't really updated it in awhile though...tha only real change would be tha length..
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Princess_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2008 at 8:10pm
That's why I don't go to salons...the ones I've been to, they're too rough on my hair and use products that aren't good for my hair. And I don't have that kind of money to be spending on that when you can easily do it yourself

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antoinette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2008 at 9:50pm

princess you are right! that is why i invest in my own hair care! you know your hair better than anyone else!

www.myspace.com/netteo81
www.fotki.com/ifeyini
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic