Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mixing Colors Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
adivamom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adivamom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mixing Colors Question
    Posted: October 30 2008 at 11:09pm

I bought two colors to mix together and one is a cream and the other is liquid. Can I mix the two with the developer for low lights? I ask because the cream lightener that I used was actually a liquid and I mixed that with the cream consistency developer and that was fine. Will it be too runny, or should I not use two different forms of color? I want to use both colors, and I hate to make another trip to Sally's. Also, if I want to do just a small amount of foils and the ratio is say 1:1 (I can't remember if it is 1:1 or 1:2), can I mix just a half of ML of color and developer, as long as it is 1:1? Is that enough developer? Any advice would be great.

I would also like to know what information anyone has about fillers? I hear people mentioning it. Are these protein fillers? How and why do we use them? I will google it too, but any personal experience is great.
Thanks everyone, I wish that I had learned how to do this years ago. I have been paying to have it colored every 6-8 weeks for 15 years!
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2008 at 8:22am
I'm not a pro, so I'll just answer what I can and maybe someone else can get the rest.  (I would think you could mix cream and liquid, but I don't know for sure, you could always call the company's 800 number and ask them).

Protein fillers are for when you have really porous hair, (such as hair that has been lightened to blonde) and you want to go darker.  You use them especially over hair that is lightened to very light blonde or white, because if you don't the base color in the darker dye shows through and the color doesn't stick to such hair. (Say you tried to dye bleached white hair brown, and your brown had a green base, you'd get green hair, not brown.  Another way to fix that if you didn't use a filler, is then dye it brown again with a dye that has a red base, because red counters green and you'd end up with reddish brown).

Yes, you can mix up any amount of dye, as long as you keep the right ratio of dye to developer. (such as 1:1 or 1:2).

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
karen s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karen s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2008 at 11:10am
If it is different colour makes, ie wella and goldwell, then no never miss two different manufactures colours together. If its the same make it will be fine, as long as you know your target colour. Same with cream and liquid colours.

Karen
karen sanderson
adivamom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adivamom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2008 at 11:48am
Karen, so if they are the same brand (they are) it is alright to mix the cream and the liquid together? I want to mix the 6N and the 7N, I am afraid the 6N is too dark. The 6N is liquid and the 7N is cream. That is alright to do?
karen s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karen s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2008 at 2:20pm
It should be ok if they are the same brand, might be a bit runnier. I have never mixed cream and liquid colours together before, so just make sure your well protected for splash back, lol

Add more of the 7N rather than the 6N don't add half and half, if you think the 6N is too dark.

Karen
karen sanderson
adivamom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adivamom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2008 at 3:03pm
Thanks Karen, that is what I was going to do! I tried to do 7 and 8 together and it was just too light. I need some contrast so I was going to do the 7 and 6, with more of the 7. The 6 can be dark (that is the color that started my whole coloring adventure!) but I do want some dimension. Do you think the 7N alone would be enough of a contrast with a light bleach? One more question, should I wait to do this, I have colored and bleached, removed color, colored, bleached and then added a few more lowlights, all in the past 6 weeks. Maybe I should give my hair a rest. I am just anxious to get it to exactly how I want it. The condition is good right now, but the color is so light. Almost solid in the front. Thanks again, you have been extremely kind to me answering so many of my questions.
karen s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karen s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2008 at 3:35pm

Your best bet is to do a strand test first. If you say your hair is in pretty good condition then it should be ok, but wise to do a strand test first. Try a strand with just the 7N then try with mixing both 7 and 6 together, this will help you make up your mind either way. If you have blonde hi lights now, better to add a little gold even 2 cm of gold to counter act and green that your hair might grab.

Good luck, and your welcomeThumbs%20Up
karen sanderson
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic