Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Salon products on the web

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
amc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Salon products on the web
    Posted: April 05 2003 at 2:20pm
Is it OK to buy salon products on the internet? I just read that you shouldn't buy salon products over the internet because they're likely to be really old, contaminated, or fakes. Is that true? How do these places get the products? Since it says on the bottle that they are only guaranteed when sold by a professional salon, I assume the salon brands don't sell direct to web businesses. Also, I just saw Paul Mitchell, Joico, and a couple of others being sold in my local Giant grocery- is it OK to buy? One more question- is there any way to tell if something is old, and what is the shelf life of shampoo, conditioner,etc. Thanks!
Tap Dancer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tap Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2003 at 4:08pm
I do sometimes buy from the Internet (www.vipsalononline.com and www.spiralhaircase.com), but be careful. Make sure you're buying from a company that is authorized to sell salon products.

Also, don't buy from a drug store or grocery store. The very best place is always a salon. It may be more expensive, but you know you're getting the real deal.
[IMG]http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n89/yerdumm/tapdancer2.gif" />
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2003 at 8:52am
I have bought salon products on the internet for years with no problems. It is the only way for me to get some products since I don't live in a big city.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2003 at 11:32am
Hi amc, You may have read this post before, but I posted it again because it pertains to your topic. And this info is valid with any Pro product.

If you buy Redken from an authorized Redken Stylist/Salon Redken will give you a 100% guarantee on any of their products.

That is worth a $ or 2 more sometimes, because it is so easy to get the wrong product. (anybody have a collection of unused products under their bathroom sink?? I do.)

Even we professionals make mistakes and recommend products that are not always right for our clients.

I tell any of my clients "If you are not happy with your Professional product, even if you don't like the smell, bring it back."

And I can do this because my distributors and manufacturers, like Redken, will back me up and replace the products I return to them.

There are counterfeit products out there...TIGI (Bed Head, CatWalk) just prosecuted a group of unscrupulous dealers. After they confiscated 7 semi's full of Fake Product coming across the Canadian and Michigan border....It looked just like their packaging, but it was not their product.

You want to at least get what you are paying for. Professional Products are expensive even if you buy them on Ebay or any other unauthorized dealer.

The right product can be awesome, as we all know. On the flip side the wrong product can be a disaster. Especially if you are paying top dollar. If you purchase a product at a Salon and you don't like it...Return It! It is part of what you paid for.

I would add that if you know exactly what product to buy and it already works great for you, buying on the Internet is in most cases not a problem.

But if you don't know what pro product is right for your hair, go to a Salon/Stylist that is trained by whatever particular manufacturer. You don't have to have an appointment. Just walk in, let them make a recommendation. Take the product home, try it, If you don't like it return/exchange it.

StyleOn
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2003 at 7:25am
Sophie, that's great that you can accept returns. I only buy from places that have such a policy, and you're doing your customers a favor by guaranteeing their satisfaction. An interesting Ask Karen article I found: http://www.hairboutique.com/askkaren/askkaren-10-2002.htm addresses this policy and tells one salon owner's story. It's quite a doozy.
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
amc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2003 at 8:34pm
Thanks, everyone
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2003 at 8:41pm
Wow, that was the Client from H=LL...I try to spot them before they have a chance toturn into Monsters.

One of the largest returns I refunded in recent memory was for $67...not too bad, But as I said I could return it to my distributer. So at least I'm somewhat covered.

For the most part, I think I save money just by keeping my clients happy and coming back. If I have to refund or exchange once in a while, to do that it's worth it!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic