Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - ingredients - to karen sophie, lyris, beachgurl, lady maria and everybody who has ever replied to me or you are a hairstylist and everyone else :)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ingredients - to karen sophie, lyris, beachgurl, lady maria and everybody who has ever replied to me or you are a hairstylist and everyone else :)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
claribuzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claribuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ingredients - to karen sophie, lyris, beachgurl, lady maria and everybody who has ever replied to me or you are a hairstylist and everyone else :)
    Posted: May 07 2003 at 10:51am
hey i'm a type of person that does really care about the brand but more about the ingredients. recently i just finished my shampoo and proceded to buy a new one. the bottle says that its for frequent use for dry, split ends, long, coloured and damaged hair. when i read the ingredients, there were no sillicones or is there?
here are the ingredients
deionized water, sodium laureth sulphate. cocamide DEA, Biogel, cocamidopropyl Betaine, octamethyltetrasiloxane, sodium laureth sulphate (and) glycol distearate (and) cocamide MEA, glycol stearate, polyquaternium-28, sodium chloride, climbazole, fragrance, green tea extract, bio mineral acid, guar hydroxypropyl trimonium chloride, methlysothiazoline and methylchloroisothiozoline, ginseng extract, colour
Fuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
boy did i had a hard time reading and typing those chemical word
all i wanted to know, what do you think about these ingredients in these shampoo of mine. i will not tell the brand until i am satisfied with the answers
as you know the shampoo contains green tea and ginseng
any one knows about these properties?
ever since i used these shampoo by 'fried" jhair has becomes softer and sligly oily. i kinda like it
and i fell that i dont have to shampoo as often cause it feel very soft. hmm weird
so please every body any comment is welcome
ARGHH
Kintaro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kintaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2003 at 11:17am
http://webbook.nist.gov/cgi/cbook.cgi?Name=octamethyltetrasiloxane&Units=SI

This clearly has silica. And being next to methyl groups makes it very easy to form silicone.

http://webbook.nist.gov/cgi/cbook.cgi?Name=glycol+distearate+&Units=SI

Long and huge molecule. I don't know if that builds up, but if it does, that's a lot of weight.

http://webbook.nist.gov/cgi/cbook.cgi?Name=glycol+stearate&Units=SI

Similar to last one.

The others didn't turn up in "teh webbook" for chemical engineers (I'm a student, not anything related to hair industry.) Think about it. Would you buy a product marked SILICONE in big flashy letters ? Siloxane is a ring of silicon and oxygen, with in this case 8 methyl groups. Silicon = Si OR Si3 .... which can even happen here through decomposition.
If there were something like the webbook for hair products, since some formulas will only come from few source that they aren't used/mentionned in most chemistry works.
I hate all of the following and lots more : Fundamentalists, racists, sexists, fascists, ageists (people saying seniors = senile , kids = stupid , 18 = immature or a combo of them), and bigots for causes yet to receive their own designation.
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2003 at 11:32am
Kintaro is right: Not all silicone derivatives end in "cone." Cctamethyltetrasiloxane is one example, as are cyclcopentasilaxane and cyclohexasilaxane.

Yes, this shampoo does contain green tea and gingseng; however, the FDA mandates that manufacturers list ingredients in descending order starting with those present in the largest quantity. The first 4-5 ingredients comprise almost all the product (between 70-90 percent, depending on the item.) That's why water is almost always the first thing listed. About halfway down the list, usually after "fragrance," manufacturers are allowed to list ingredients randomly because they are in such minute quantities as to make little to no difference to your hair/scalp. Green tea and gingseng are too far down in the listing to be present in substantial quantities, even if their benefit to hair was ever established.

Judging by the ingredients, this is a good standard shampoo with typical surfactant detergents, (thankfully, only mild ones and no sodium lauryl sulfate,) emulsifiers, a few conditioning agents, preservatives and a few token ingredients such as the gingseng and green tea thrown in for marketing value.
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2003 at 1:11pm
Hi Claribuzz,

Thank you for taking the time to type all the ingredients. I hear you about how tiny the words are. I have gone blind in the past trying to type in the ingredients to the HB's store.

I concur with the above experts...Kintaro and Lyris on their answers. When I first started looking at shampoo bottles I was shocked to discover that water was always at the beginning and then when I found out why, it was even more amazing. Yes, you can get "cones" without silicone. And yes, green tea sounds really exotic but if it is at the tail end you would do better to brew some green tea, let it cool and use it as a final rinse.

I have to be honest. Some of the shampoos that I use on my hair have some "horrible" ingredients. And I know what they are. But the products make my hair feel and look wonderful. So consequences be damned. Sort of like eating bacon or drinking a beer. I know that bacon has nitrates if I don't buy them at the health food store and beer is alcohol and not good...but sometimes I just want crispy bacon with my eggs and a cold beer on a hot Texas Sunday afternoon.

That is what life is about. Choices. And Balance. I try to balance the bad things with the good, eating organic apples and eating less meat and using Paul Penders or "better for you" formulas, but sometimes I also feel the need to use what I feel works best for me.

Thanks for the topic. Very helpful. Thanks also to Lyris and Kintaro who are always on the ball w/ their responses.

Best wishes,
Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Starburst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Starburst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2003 at 1:41pm
Does Aubrey Organic have any ingredients that might be considered unsafe? I thought as a rule the Aubrey line was 100% all natural? Is this right? Or am I wrong?
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2003 at 2:40pm
I love it when you guy's talk "chemical".
Orc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2003 at 3:31am
Interesting, I must say. And love the site that Kintaro has provided.
I believe that Lush (lush.com) has fresh handmade cosmetics, which I believe have little to no chemicals. I used to use their shampoos and conditioners but since I have my hair relaxed every now and again, I have been Phytospecific addict Their products are designed for curly, frizzy and relaxed hair and are advertised as nature and plants extract are used.
I wish I could be more helpful to the topic
Claribuzz, sorry to hear about your hair accident.
I had my hair relaxed at home 8 days ago and I left the solution 15 minutes longer than suggested, if I had waited two more minutes, I would have ended up cutting it all off just like you did. It is straighter as and healthy as
I wouldn’t recommend leaving the solution longer than suggested, it is not for the weak hearted
Cheers flaks
Orc previously known as Gaga
Blijf luisteren naar je lichaam en haar!
claribuzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claribuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2003 at 1:07pm
waaaaaaaaaah !!!
so many one...
hey thanks for replying to my tidious and hard to type post
well true as it is, this shampoo is a drugstore brand which you can find anywhere, well from where i come from it is everywhere.
it Ginvera Green Tea Shampoo. very common. and cheap. still i bought it because it gentle and i like the results. i sill like some more replies though
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic