Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

chopsticks help!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bratty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bratty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: chopsticks help!
    Posted: May 14 2003 at 5:00pm
There are tons of "How-To" styling tips here at HairBoutique.com. Even if you don't need the tips for specific events like Prom or Wedding there are a ton of step by steps at: http://www.hairboutique.com/tips/promstyles.htm

There is also an Updo section with style tips.

I wear hairsticks all the time and like to buy the cheap ones so I can mix and match. Sometimes I will wear up to 4 sticks at once with 2 as the actual "pins" and 2 as decoration.

Hairsticks can actually be used with or without "props". I actually will put my hair in a ponytail and then wrap a piece of hair around the ponytail. Then I will wedge the hairsticks on either side of the pony.

Or you can use hairsticks as actually functional hairpins.

Here is how I use hairsticks (I actually copied this from Karen's instructions here on the site):

1. Make a basic loose ponytail near the middle of your head.
2. You may use an elastic band to secure the ponytail or if you want to go hard core, hold the ponytail in place with your fingers while you form the rest of the bun.
3. With your free hand twist the entire length of the ponytail in a clockwise direction until it is tight but not super tight.
4. Take the finished twist and then gently coil the hair twist around itself, to create a bun. You can coil as loosely or tightly as you wish depending on if you want a big or tight bun.
5. Tuck the remaining end or the hair under the outside part of the finished bun coil. Hold the finished bun in place with one hand and using your other free hand, gently push one hairstick straight into the outside bun coil until the tip of the hairstick touches your scalp.
6. Change the direction of the stick and gently weave it back and forth as well as up and out the other side of the bun coil.
7. Use a second hairstick, and push it into the bun coil on the opposite side. Position the second hairstick the same way as you did the first stick. The two sticks should eventually cross in about the center of the sticks, so that they form a big X. The two sticks should rest against the scalp but with sections of hair woven over them to hold the bun firmly in place.
8. You can cheat by putting the original ponytail in an elastic band the same color as your hair. You can also cheat by using bobby pins to help hold the hair in place.

This requires some practice. So try with damp hair that will hold better.

blue_pixie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blue_pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2003 at 4:35pm
Hi, I had pixie-length hair for over 7 years and I now have just grown it all to about 2 inches past my shoulders. So I am not experienced in putting my hair up and long-hair styling. I would love to put my hair up in chopsticks but i am not sure how. Also, I like the look with 2 ponytails on eachside of the head above the crown that look like the hair was tied in a knot. Does anyone know where I could get some free step-by-step style info.?
Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic