Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help me find a conditioner!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help me find a conditioner!
    Posted: June 10 2003 at 1:47pm
Hi everyone. I am looking for a conditioner that contains either panthenol, collagen, keratin or protein (preferably panthenol) as one of the first 2-3 ingredients. These ingredients work the best for me, I like thick conditioners, like paste! Anyone want to help? Thanks :-)
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2003 at 4:10pm
Lyris

I can't help you because I know of no such conditioner, however, I do have a suggestion.

Panthenol is available over-the-counter at chemists. Have you considered buying some and adding it to your fave conditioner?

Might work out cheaper and more effective than a brand.....
Uzi

Mitzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mitzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2003 at 5:15pm
lyris, uzma has a great idea! ive toyed around with this plan myself, unfortunately since im so broke it had to be put on hold...

if i could suggest one thing though - if you are going to be adding straight panthenol, the girl i talked to that did this said that it might make your hair a bit stiff/crunchy, (i assume this is protein crunch) you might want to consider adding some silk amino acids, just for fun. (and some slip!) that was my plan, anyway.

you can get silk amino acids and panthenol at voyagersoapandcandle.com
and i think as well at thebuyinggroup.com and fromnaturewithlove.com

i think one of those even sold dimethicone... (if you use the stuff! ) but by all means, shop around, im canadian and those places were simply the cheapest shipping for me!
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2003 at 6:11pm
Thank you Uzma and Mitzy--I appreciate your help! I might try a panthenol additive. I wouldn't attribute the potential "crunch" factor to protein, however, since panthenol is vitamin B5 and is not related to protein. It is just a good conditioning agent that coats the hair shaft and clings a tad bit better than agents such as soy-based protein. Personally, my hair loves silicone derivatives...makes it mirror-smooth without the weight. I'll check the websites for some fun web shopping. Thanks again ladies!
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
Mitzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mitzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2003 at 9:51pm
*smacks forehead* i knew that, but for some reason i always associate panthenol with protein... (i must be the only one!! ) blame it on the thread i was reading elsewhere while replying here. so much for multitasking.
anyway - i just remembered that i was shopping a month ago and found a conditioner by Freeman, it was only $1.99, and the ingredients were ok for so cheap, see what you think:
water, cetearyl alcohol, stearalkonium chloride, panthenol, hydrolyzed wheat protein, wheat amino acids, (list of fruit extracts,) behentrimonium methosulfate, propylene glycol, glycerine, tetrasodium edta, citric acid, dmdm hydantoin, (token list of parabens, fragrance,and color.)

so, not the high quality proteins you were looking for... but its called Glisten Up Crystal Sheer Conditioner, and there should be about 2 or 3 other conditioners in the line with very similar (if not identical) ingredient lists. yeah, its cheap, simple stuff. but it has panthenol pretty high up, thats why i bought it, but unfortunately since my (superfine) hair tangles if you so much as look at it, this stuff didnt do such a great detangling job, and i use it as a pre-conditioner for CWC. smells great though, and has that thick, pastey consistency.
by the way, i have *never* seen any hair products that contain collagen (and ive kept my eyes open!) - have you used any that are worth mentioning?
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2003 at 7:22am
Hi Mitzy and thanks again for the tip! V05 makes a conditioner called Dry Ends with collagen but I haven't used it. There is also a Jheri Redding Professional RX "protein treatment" with it but it smells too awful to try!
rrobey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrobey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2003 at 7:50am
I heard/read that B5 is the only vitamin that is able to penetrate the hair shaft, not just coat it. Anyone else heard this or know whether or not it's got truth to it?

Thanks.
Becky
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2003 at 8:40am
According to Paula Begoun's book, yes, panthenol can penetrate the hair shaft, albeit not very much. It's not a miraculous cure-all for hair but it does condition well and perhaps slightly better than other agents. I have found success using Aussie Hair Insurance (a leave-in conditioner) which includes panthenol high up on the ingredient list.
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2003 at 1:27pm
Mitzy I reread your post and you mentioned your hair's tendency to tangle. When you're shopping for conditioners (both rinse-off and leave-in) look for products that list the following detanglers high up in the list (perferably 2nd-4th):

Behentrimonium methosulfate
Benzalkonium chloride
Benhenalkonium chloride/betaine
Cetrimonium bromide/chloride
Quaternium 15

Most of these are called quarternary conditioning agents, which means they make hair easier to glide a comb through. I hope this helps you if you're still having issues with detangling :-)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic