Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What do you think of this?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kramer View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kramer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What do you think of this?
    Posted: May 06 2009 at 1:07am
How bad is the economy here in Michigan? Some people are "mining their bodies to make ends meet," according to The Detroit News. One woman, who originally was going to donate her long hair, will now sell it for $1,000.

Here's the portion of the artlcle that talks about the hair sale. A link to the full story and a nice photo her photo follow. 

Michiganians mine bodies for cash to make ends meet

Sellers offer everything from hair to blood to make a buck

Christina Stolarz / The Detroit News

Commerce Township -- Heidi Fetzner is unemployed and willing to be creative to make a few bucks.

So when the German and psychology student at Kalamazoo College realized someone was willing to pay her $1,000 for her long brunette locks, her attitude was: Break out the scissors.

"Most of it I'm going to put in my bank account and just save because school is expensive," said Fetzner, 20, of Commerce Township. "It's a lot of money. You gotta do what you gotta do."

Fetzner is among those realizing that, in these tough times, the body isn't just a temple. It can be a gold mine.

As Michigan's economy continues to suffer, people are offering themselves up as medical guinea pigs for a quick buck to make ends meet. Some are selling plasma, others their hair for hundreds on the Internet, while others take the more extreme road by wanting to sell their eggs or participate in medical studies in exchange for payment and free medical exams.

Edited by Kramer - May 06 2009 at 1:09am
Who has more fun than people?
paper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2009 at 7:15am
Wow, that is sad some people have to do that. Her hair was beautiful. Is the after picture posted yet?

Edited by paper - May 07 2009 at 7:17am
lovebobs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovebobs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2009 at 8:54am
if some nut is going to pay her a grand to cut her hair she should do it!!!
she obviously realizes it is just hair and if she wants it long it will indeed grow back.
she was going to cut it anyway to donate it so instead she should sell it for $1,000 and maybe donate $100 to a similar charity.
in this case both her and the charity would benefit.
Long with BLUNT bangs or ALL cut to lip length, I cant decide my favorite!
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2009 at 9:06am
If she was going to donate it anyway, no big deal cutting it off I'd say, she didn't want to keep it.  It is sad people have to do that these days, but its nice she has the option.  (in other words, I was more sad when I read about ladies in Russia selling their much longer hair for a measly 5 bucks so a middle man could make thousands on it).  
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2009 at 3:28pm
     First, who is it who is making her feel guilty about *selling* her hair, instead of donating it somewhere to be warehoused and sold or trashed? Second, if this young woman is cutting her stunning hair anyway, fine, make a profit. But if she's going short only to make some "mining" cash, ($1000 isn't much, maybe $20 per month of growing), what is she going to do next month? Unhappy Bob
spartan117sj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spartan117sj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2009 at 8:25am
This is so sad!! When its gotten so bad that you have to sell your hair for money......wow. I love her aditude about it though =D
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2009 at 7:24pm
What do I think?  Long hair in good condition is an asset.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic