Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

long hair and age

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Raquel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raquel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: long hair and age
    Posted: June 24 2003 at 1:45pm
I am about to be 33 years old and just had to get my hair cut off due to damage from bleach. I am through with hair color until I go grey. I am wanting to grow my hair long--about halfway down my back. I am figuring it will probably take about three years. I am so depressed because I have always been told that people over 35 shouldn't wear long hair. What do all of you think about that idea? I want to look good with it when it gets long and I feel like I am working on limited time. I have thought of using Hairtopia to speed up the process, but I just don't want to spend the money.
Rachel
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2003 at 10:07pm
That over 35 thing is a crock!!! If thats the rule than there are alot of Hollywood stars breaking the rules.

You should wear whatever makes you feel great!!! Not everyone looks good in short hair. Some do, some don't. I believe that a person who has had long hair most of there life and suddenly cuts it off because of this reason, it really adds age to you. Most people who do this, ages them 10-15 years.

Never listen to people who tell you this. Some times, especially if you look great in long hair, people around you may want you to cut it off because it looks really great on you. They are just jealous.

Take this word from a 36 yr old long haired southern belle, DO NOT follow the over 35 advice.
I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2003 at 10:56pm
Raquel, I used to think that too, and worried about the day I'd turn 30 or 35. But I am 37 and still have my long hair. I look young and I think my hair is in part responsible for keeping me looking youthful.

I will keep my hair long as long as I think it looks good and I feel comfortable with it. You should, too. Do not worry about anything else.

Elissa
[/url]

Raquel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raquel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2003 at 10:38am
Thanks so much for your support. My hair usually grows about 2 inches every three months so maybe I can get there sooner if the color shock my hair has been through hasn't stunted the growth. LOL
Rachel
duke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2003 at 11:36am
Yes, Raquel, the cutting-your-hair-as-
you-age rule is nonsense. And it's a good
idea not to color it either and expose it to
(at least somewhat) noxious chemicals.
Grow it, enjoy it, and by all means try to
help it on with Hairtopia!
gmoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2003 at 11:59pm
Hi Raquel,

The myth about not being able to have long hair beyond a certain age is an absolute load of rubbish and is exactly what I called it...A MYTH!

I think that in many cases, in fact the vasy majority, long hair actually makes a woman in her 30s and beyond look younger and more beautiful, as I am sure it will with you too.

If you want an example, just look at Demi Moore, she looks fantastic with her long hair, and she is 40, so who says you can't look good at 40 with long hair...certainly not me!

I wish you all the best in growing your hair long again and I hope it brings you much joy and happiness.

John
Eric C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2003 at 3:48pm
I agree that the "you must cut your hair once you hit a certain age" idea is a crock. If a person's general appearance, physique, etc, is that of a young person, why should someone with long hair cut it when they hit a certain age.
From a phsychological point of view, if a woman (or man), equates long hair with youth, they shouldn't have to give up their hair just because of their age.
Also, some people just look better with shoulder length hair or longer, while others suit short hair. One example (as mentioned previously), as someone who looks good in long hair, is Demi Moore. I saw her on Letterman this past week, and she looks a heck of a lot younger than 40, IMHO. Also, she looks happier, too. Not to say that it is due to the long hair, but you never know.
nygal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nygal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2004 at 2:59pm
Hi Rachel..
I saw that you originally posted in June of 2003 and were just about to turn 33..so, if my math is correct, you should be 34 now. So, how is your hair? How long has it gotten over the past year? I don't believe in the over 35 thing, either. I'll be 37 at the end of Sept, and I'm growing my hair to the middle of my back, although today it's making me so depressed I want to chop it all off! But, I won't.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic