Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Towel drying wet hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Towel drying wet hair
    Posted: June 27 2003 at 8:43am
To towel or not to towel, that is the question...

My hair is wavy. When I get out of the shower, I usually comb/detangle, and then towel dry it pretty thoroughly. Then I let it air dry, scrunching with my fingers while it dries to bring out the curl/wave.

If I skip the toweling, and simply comb, it will dry somewhat straight. So I do love to towel dry first. I have the kind of wavy hair that will straighten when brushed dry, too.

A stylist once told me that towel drying is very damaging and that I shouldn't do it. I am not exactly gentle when I do it, but I don't do it very hard either. I bend over, head towards the floor, and work on each section with dry parts of my towel to get a lot of the excess water out.

Is this damaging or not? Does anyone else towel dry, and if so, what is your method?

Thanks.
[/url]

Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2003 at 9:47am
From what I understand, any friction against the hair shaft (rubbing, brushing, pulling) will lead to breakage as this roughs up and eventually degrades the cuticle. A gentle way to towel dry is to squeeze the towel around a section of hair and let it soak up the moisture. It's the movement of the towel against and through the hair that can be damaging.

Speaking of towels, who has tried the Aquis towel? One poster recommended it, and I'm looking for a few other opinions before I spend upwards of $15 on a piece of material. How effective in cutting down drying time is it? Thanks!
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
Hermione View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermione Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2003 at 12:34pm
I just got one of the Aquis hair towels, and it seems to really suck the moisture out of the hair well. I don't have to squeeze and I don't rub at all, and my hair seems more dry when I take the towel off my head, about 15 minutes after I put it on. I really like it, and I've got a lot of hair. It's BSL and very, very thick.
Moonshadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moonshadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2003 at 3:13pm
I've got the Aquis towel too, and I like it. It doesn't make a dramatic difference but it does pull the water out of my hair better than a regular towel. And it's soooo soft!
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2003 at 6:30pm
I'm with Lyris on the towel drying thing.
SuperGrover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2003 at 8:11pm
Yikes! When I was in junior high and high school, I used to rub my hair in the towel back and forth in a scrubbing motion! I'd never do that now! It did dry my hair pretty fast though!

I have a fast drying towel, I think it's called Apres. I got it at Bed Bath and Beyond with a $5 off coupon which was in the back of one of their mailers. It was worth the $10 with that discount. I think it dries my hair faster. I dunno how, it's polyester. So are the Aquis, I think.

I try to be as gentle with the towel as possible, both the super absorbent and a normal terry towel. I do have the habit of squeezing my hair. Even though it's a gentle squeeze, it must be rough when you are a thin fragile strand of hair. I wonder if I damage it. I don't think so...
"Hair is a part of you. It is not a part of me, because I am a frog." - Kermit the Frog on Sesame Street1b/N/ii ~ ??"/27"/32"
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2003 at 2:13pm
Don't you guy's need to get styling product in your hair, before it gets too dry??

I need some water in my hair so that when I apply gel on my base...for lift... and straightening serum on the rest...for shine and smoothing....it can all be distributed evenly.

Fresh out of the shower, I gently sqeeze the water out of my hair and immediatly get my styling products in.

Moonshadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moonshadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2003 at 5:15pm
I squeeze the water out of my hair, comb some gel and/or leave-in conditioner in, then wrap my hair in the towel for a few minutes. I have fine, wavy hair, and I've found this both helps define the waves and helps make sure I don't get too much product in my hair because the towel kind of soaks up any excess.
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2003 at 6:39pm
I have 3 Aquis hair towels (2 plain weave, 1 waffle - prefer plain).

They are brilliant.

The time it takes to air-dry hair is significantly reduced.

There is much less friction of ther hair - you just wrap the towel around your hair and it soaks right up. No need to rub at all.

Also, my hair dries straighter with these towels. I get much less waving & curling.

I recommend these towels unreservedly.
Uzi

Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2003 at 11:11pm
I own two Aquis towels and frequently travel the globe. They are.....magnificent!! The size large, in my opinion, is barely long enough for long hair, but the extra-large is big enough for both hair and body.

For traveling, they are wonderfully thin and dry quickly. As for absorbing moisture in the hair -- wonderful! I think the trick is not to "rub" the hair. Just gently wrap the hair in the towel. Just "blot" the hair and never rub. They absorb a lot of moisture and dry quickly.
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2003 at 6:54am
I usually towel dry, then air dry for a bit, then when the frizz just begins to appear, I add my gel, a bit at a time as needed. I find that when I add gel when my hair is too wet, it dries crunchier (I probably add a lot more when it's wet, when it's damp I can better see where the frizz spots are and limit it to them).

I am definitely going to look into this fabulous little aquis towel! Thanks!

Elissa
[/url]

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic