Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

bleached / demi color / fading issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sassycalichick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sassycalichick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: bleached / demi color / fading issues
    Posted: May 29 2009 at 1:15pm
ok, so here's the deal. I have long hair past my mid back. At one point my entire head was bleach and platinum blond permanent color applied. I had it that way for a few months. Then had a medium golden blond permanent color applied had that for a couple months. Then just had highlights added to break up the roots growing in a bit. Recently I had it died a dark ash blonde and it was too grey/green on most of m hair, but the roots were more copper (about 3 inches of growth) Out of frustration I went back and had them use a filler and dye all over a light medium brown. Still the roots look awesome, but totally different color than the rest of my hair. So FRUSTRATING. So at the suggestion of my stylist we did a demi permanent mixing 6W (dark Sand) and 6N (Dark Natural Blond) by Wella and the color was pretty even for the FIRST DAY! I love this color combo and would ideally like this color permanently. The problem is it fades after like 3-4 washes and the roots end up being significantly differnt color than the rest of my hair - - once again! I wash my hair every two days and I use color protecting shampoo and conditioner by Matrix when I do wash.

I really don't want to have to color my hair every week & a half! What can I do to fix the root issue when the color fades and get the color to hold longer?

HELP, HELP, HELP!!!
Sara_84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sara_84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2009 at 9:14am
I have the same problem as you, thing is because your hair is previously bleached it will take a while for the dye to stick, even if you use permanent dye it's still gonna fade really fast you have to give it time for the color to build up.
What I'd reccomend you do is get a semi-permanent in a shade darker than your planned color put on at the salon so they can get a good base for you, this will fade to a lighter shade, then maintain it at home with a semi permanent color in a shade lighter than what the salon used as I find whan your doing it yourself at home it always turn out darker than what it shows on the box.

Keep at it and eventually the color will fade slower and slower however because your roots haven't been bleached they will always pick up the dye better and will fade a lot slower so your are gonna get a slight color difference from root to end but your probly the only one who can notice it trust me.

My hair was bleched platinum and I then decided I wanted red which is the fastest color to fade anyways, the first time I had it done at the salon it faded within a week and they topped it up for me cause they knew that was gonna happen. I've been red now for six month and I still get fading but I can now go six to 8 weeks before I get it topped up.
My stylist uses Wella Koleston and I use either Wella Color Touch or Special Effects.

Also using a protein treatment like Bed Head Dumb Blonde Reconstructor the day before you color your hair really helps grab pigment.
You can also use one of theose tinted shampoos and conditioners as it adds a little color back every time you wash.

Sorry for the long post but I hope it's helpful to you.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic