Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

So frustrated! Need some advice ...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LadyLaLa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyLaLa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: So frustrated! Need some advice ...
    Posted: July 12 2009 at 12:21am
Hi, all!

This is my first post in the forum and I am in desperate need of some help with my long hair. I have had long, thick, somewhat wavy hair for most of my life but recently the entire texture and growth has completely changed. I have tried a ton of different products and I'm just at my wits end!

About six months ago I noticed that I was losing a LOT more hair than usual. Now, I'm used to losing a lot of hair simply because I've always had a TON of it, but this was abnormal even for me. I was under a lot of stress so I just chalked it up as temporary and assumed it would correct itself. I am not losing nearly as much now, but my hair is so thin on top that you can seen my scalp when I fix my hair, which is amplified by the fact that I have very dark hair. My hair texture has always been somewhat more coarse than others (which is funny because it was INCREDIBLY thin and stringy when I was younger). In the last six months, the hair from about ear level up has become very stringy and course, while the hair from the ears down has become so course and wavy that it looks fake. I feel like my hair looks like a wig now. Because my hair is so thin on top now and so course on bottom, my hair ends up totally flat on top, really puffy on bottom, and looks like a triangle. Also, two years ago I had my hair cut quite short and got highlights put in it. As my hair grew out and the color faded, I was left with very, very blonde streaks in my hair. At first it wasn't a problem, but within the last six months they have turned somewhat brittle and stiff feeling. It's not really rough, but it definitely isn't soft and doesn't feel moisturized. I've tried putting hair masks on it and conditioning every time I shower, but nothing seems to be helping, and it tangles so easily now.

I really, really would just like to have soft, manageable hair, but nothing seems to be working. Can someone help me figure out how to have volume at the roots, control at the ends, and still help me hold a style despite my coarse hair's intentions?

PS - I have such a hard time describing what I'd love my hair to look like, so I'll include this photo as a reference. I know that having this style takes work, but at this point I'm willing to put the work in. I'd settle for a fraction of it, to be honest.

hairbraider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2009 at 3:51pm
To begin with, a proper diet (and by "diet" I simply mean the things you eat) and exercise are important for having healthy hair.  Scalp massages also promote healthy hair growth.  Age also has alot to do with it, as you've already experienced by your texture change as you became an adult.  I wish I had a magic remedy for you, but I don't.  Look at every area of your life and see what has changed.  The stress can definitely do it to you, and it does take time to get back to "normal". 
sarah
40 inches
did henna for the first time
click here to go to My Hair Space
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2009 at 10:34am
As Hair braider mentioned, a proper diet is absolutly essential, protein is extremely important.  Do you take any vitamins? If not you need to, also try amino acids, They will really help your hair health. there are allot of special hair vitamins out that will work, but are kind of pricey. I have tried quite a few, but have found a good quality amino acid from a health food store to be just as helpful. My next question is... have you recently lost a bunch of weight? Loosing to much to fast can make your hair fall out like you have explained.
Over processing can make you hair brittle and bake off, so be careful with the chemicals, I would stay as far away from them right now, as you can. Try oil or mayo as much as you can. If you are unfamiliar with using either one of these, do a search on this site, you will find a ton of info.
If you have tried several different things, and are still having trouble, I would recommend you go to your doctor. Hormone imbalances could be a factor.
I hope you find out the culprit, and are able to fix whatever the problem is.
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic