Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Alcohol in hair products

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alcohol in hair products
    Posted: March 08 2004 at 8:28am
I use only Mastey product no Sulphates or nasties my hair & scalp have never been in better condition.

http://216.29.194.39/science.php?c=science&a=26&s=6

Ingredients to avoid:

Harsh Cleansers like:
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate
Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate
DEA (DEA Lauryl Sulfate)
Sodium Laureth Sulfate
Ammonium Laureth Sulfate
Alpha Olefin Sulfonate
Oils
Dyes
Propylene Glycol
Glycerin and glycerin type derivatives
Human Hair Keratin Protein (HHKP)
Animal Protein, Collagen Protein, Animal by-Products
Sim
Captain Japonica View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Japonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2004 at 2:23am
LOL Kuroneko
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2004 at 12:43am
Bubbles in the toilet?

Originally posted by Captain Japonica Captain Japonica wrote:

Actually, what would happen if you drank shampoo?
More awesome than a manatee!
Captain Japonica View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Japonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2004 at 3:42pm
Actually, what would happen if you drank shampoo?
mujerpr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mujerpr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2004 at 1:09pm
Does Alcohol 40 and 40b cause hair loss or breakage? What is the difference between the two? Is one better than the other?
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2003 at 10:30pm
Yes, SG, you're right, sodium laureth sulfate would be more appropriately named a lesser of many evils in the haircare world, but since 99 percent of all shampoos contain a sulfate of some type, it is by far the gentlest. So since you're going to have to make a choice, you might as well go with the mildest available.

Okay, to my knowledge, ammonium lauryl/laureth sulfate is mild stuff, though not as gentle as sodium laureth sulfate. In my experience it's too much for my hair so I stick to SLeS only. But it's by no means as bad as sodium LAURYL sulfate.

And thirdly, I was probably referring to Biotera at Sally Beauty, which is essentially a Biolage knockoff. Although Nature's Therapy (the "yellow" brand) is darn good too! :-)
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
SuperGrover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2003 at 4:33pm
Wait wait wait, Sodium Laureth Sulfate is good for dry hair? I just thought it was the lesser of commonly used evils...

I have a lot of shampoos (well, 2 or 3) with SLS that also have Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate in them. Is that bad?

And while I'm at it, playing 20 questions here, what was that shampoo/conditioner you buy at Sally that you say you like almost as much as All Soft?

THANK YOU! What would we do without you?
"Hair is a part of you. It is not a part of me, because I am a frog." - Kermit the Frog on Sesame Street1b/N/ii ~ ??"/27"/32"
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2003 at 9:15am
Hi Kgirl! In my experience, the Ion line is hit or miss. The hairspray is good, as the Glossing Spray, and the color defense leave-in. The deep conditioner, Effective Care, is actually very nice. I was not wild about the regular spray-in leave-in conditioner. It had an unusual smell and seemed way too light for my moisture-deprived hair. I would definitely avoid most Ion shampoos, as they use TEA-lauryl sulfate and other drying detergents.
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
Kgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2003 at 8:14am
Hey Lyris, how are the Ion products? I always see these at Sally's and am very curious to try out that line, especially the leave-in conditioner. Have you tried that or the shine sprays?
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2003 at 7:35am
Hahaha Cait....can you imagine 40-proof shampoo?

Monica, I use Ion Anti-Frizz Hairspray from Sally. It is the only alcohol-free one I've found in all my searching! It is around $5, so that's a real bonus too.
princessmonica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2003 at 2:50pm
what hairsprays can you recommend? i use frizz ease hairspray.
crazzzycait View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazzzycait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2003 at 2:31pm
Darn when I saw "Alcohol in hair products" I thought you might have found Jack Daniels in Suave products or something..
escucha el ritmo de tu corazon...te amo. <3 caiter tot
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2003 at 9:12am
Originally posted by Kgirl Kgirl wrote:

Thanks Lyris, for the informative list. I printed it out and put it in my wallet so I can refer to it when I go shopping for hair stuff.

TOO funny! :-) I'm glad to help. Have a lovely day!
Kgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2003 at 9:08am
Thanks Lyris, for the informative list. I printed it out and put it in my wallet so I can refer to it when I go shopping for hair stuff.
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2003 at 7:43am
Hi everyone. A lot of people have asked for this massive ingredient list I currently have housed on my computer, and an oft-asked query is "will alcohol dry out my hair?" I want to help clarify this point. No, not all alcohol is bad for hair. There are essentially two types in hair products:

First, there are coconut derivatives or synthetics that are emollient and thus good for hair. They also thicken the product. That's why almost every conditioner in the world lists cetyl, stearyl or cetearyl alcohol high in its ingredient list.

Second, there are denatured alcohols usually found in products designed to dry quickly such as hairspray. Yes, they do evaporate quickly but they can also carry away moisture with them. Contrary to popular belief, these alcohols do not "suck the water out of hair" (I had a Sally Beauty employee tell me this once) but they aren't exactly nuturing either. Using an alcohol-based hairspray once a week will not ruin your hair. It won't do it any favors, either, so if your hair is very dry, I suggest finding an alcohol-free version.

Here is a breakdown of some of the most common alcohols found in hair products:

Denatured alcohols (not so good for dry hair):
Benzyl alcohol
Isopropyl alcohol
Ethyl alcohol
SD 40 alcohol
SD alcohol 40B

Emollient alcohols (good for dry hair; some are derived from alcohol and hence don't bear its name):
Behenyl alcohol
Ceteareth - 5
Cetearyl Alcohol
Ceteth - 2
Cetyl Alcohol
Glycerin
Laureth – 2/3
Sodium Cetyl Sulfate
Sodium Laureth Sulfate
Steareth 21
Stearyl alcohol
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic