Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Will I go bald if I let my husband do my hair?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LostGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LostGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Will I go bald if I let my husband do my hair?
    Posted: October 06 2009 at 3:45am
So that's a little melodramatic...but I'm curious about the risk of installing micro-ring style extensions at home.

I've had micro-rings in and out of my hair for about 2 years and every time I've had them out my hair seems healthy.  I'd been paying my extension artist $200 an hour to do them for me all this time. 

Well when I moved out of state my extension artist was nice enough to show my hubby how to "move-up" my extensions so that we could maintain them at home.

It seems pretty simple...
1.open ring...
2.untangle any matting and remove dead hair
3. retwirl hair to make sure tip is smooth and round
4. slide on new ring and reinstall tip making sure that:
          a: the ring is about 1 finger width away from scalp
          b: the ring and hair lay flat against the head

Doesn't sound like you need to be a brainsurgeon to do this.  My extension artist told me that the expertise comes in the first install, but once they are placed and blended, the moving-up is easy. 

So anyway, after waiting about 10 weeks I had my hubby move up all my extensions today.  He was very careful and added a little extra hair to ones where I shed a lot so that we weren't putting to much weight on too few hairs.  It feels pretty good, but my head is a little sore.  Of course my scalp would be sore after the professional did it too, due to the untangling and just the general pulling involved in the process.   And yet I'm freaking out because I've read horror stories about traction alopecha (sp?)!  I really want to be a DIYer because I can't afford to go to a salon anymore. Confused

Does anyone know of a way I could monitor my hair?  Or warning signs I should look for?  I don't think just taking everything out to check would work since I've had my extensions in for months and my hair always seems thin by comparison when I first remove the install. 

Since I've had no problems in the past, should I just trust that my hair is strong enough to handle the extensions?  Or am I crazy to let a guy do my hair??? LOL!  Shocked

SiNfuL GirL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SiNfuL GirL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2009 at 5:31pm
I dont think your crazy at all for letting your husband install or manage your extensions. I do my own with micro link and every time i take mine out for a new install or for whatever reason my natural hair is much thinner to me because i have no extra hair in anymore. Just make sure to use a good serum for the midlength and ends of your natural hair 2 times a day so your natural hair doesnt dry out.
and since your doing it at home you should have your husband check to make sure there not slipping too far like every three weeks and move the ones that have slipped too much helps prevent tangeling too.
Good luck chick 
SkyCandy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyCandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2009 at 10:17pm

Sounds like you a very lucky that your hubby is willing to do it. My SO did mine once and it took two days. I don’t think he will ever do it again, lol.

That being said, have him take a good look at the install you have now. Especially how thick each of your strands is that the extensions are attached to. I think the biggest danger would be not grabbing enough hair to attach the extension too.  If there is not enough of your own hair to support the extension, that is where you risk having your hair rip out.

As for what to watch for, I would take a good look at any bonds that slip or fall out to see how much of my own hair came out with it. If it seems like more then a few strands from normal shedding, this means there may not be enough hair in the links to support the extensions.

You guy sounds very conscientious about that already, and I am sure he will do a great job!  Good luck!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic