Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Should i get braids? (Pics included)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Suzoryu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzoryu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Should i get braids? (Pics included)
    Posted: November 13 2009 at 5:43pm
Should i get braidss? I've been growing my hair out for about 3 weeks now, but ever since i started theres been a constant debate in my head of whether or not i should really get braids. Will i look right in them?

I want them because they look awesome and i'm tired of having this everyday black guy hairstyle. So yea heres some pictures of me.

http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae273/mylomp/0910091628.jpg
http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae273/mylomp/Mua.jpg
http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae273/mylomp/1113091718.jpg

What do you guys think?
-Insert signature-
Kimbearly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbearly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2009 at 9:37pm

Hello and Welcome!  I posted your pictures here so it is easier to see.  I say go for it? How long would it take for your hair to grow to braid?

Here are some braided hairstyles.  Not sure what type of braids you are looking for.  I think all of the styles are really cool and any of them would look great on you.  At least you do not have to grow your hair too much to achieve any of these looks.  Once you get a start on your hair getting longer you can go to a hair braider and have fake hair braided onto your own.  Make sure you post your results!

Edited by Kimbearly - November 13 2009 at 9:38pm
Suzoryu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzoryu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2009 at 10:36pm
Thanks so much Kimbearly! I want mines kind of like the dude in the third picture. The guy with no shirt on. I say it should be in an afro by January. It'll be a full mini afro by december. And i'll be sure to post my results.

And wow they can braid fake hair on you? How does that work?

Edited by Suzoryu - November 13 2009 at 10:41pm
-Insert signature-
Kimbearly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbearly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2009 at 10:16am
Yes, it is called weaving.  What you need is for your hair to have enough to start a braid, and then the braider just adds hair (fake braiding hair that is bought at sally's) onto your own hair.  You can go as long or as short as you want the braids to be.  You can google hair weaving and "You Tube" videos of people having it done.  To have it done professionally it will most likely start at $100.00.  If you see a woman or a man  that has a really nice braid ask he/she where  they had their hair done.   This is the best way to find a really good hair braider.  I say at the start of the new year you will look just like the picture.  
Suzoryu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzoryu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2009 at 1:55pm
Yea, probably. And that's awesome but wow, 100$? I'm gonna have to get like straight A's for that hah.

Edited by Suzoryu - November 14 2009 at 1:56pm
-Insert signature-
AutumnLocks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AutumnLocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2012 at 3:37am
If you decide to get braids you should be aware of something.  Braiding looks really good.  However, it does cause damage to the hair and scalp.  It can also cause hair loss.  It's called traction alopecia.  Just FYI.
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2012 at 10:24am
Hi Autumn,
You are 100% correct.  When I went to cosmetology school I took a course in braiding at a cosmo college for African American hairstyles.  While there they wanted to cornrow my hair, which they did.  It hurt like hell but I got used to it.  When I finally took them out I lost a lot of hair and my scalp was inflamed.  At that point I did a bunch of research and traction alopecia is a common side effect of braids which are left in too long or made too tight.

Thanks for sharing that important scoop.  I think some people don't know about this until it's too late.  :-(  Have an awesome week.
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic