Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Long Hair SAVED! (I Hope)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Long Hair SAVED! (I Hope)
    Posted: December 05 2009 at 1:37pm
     Several days ago, I was leaving  a local CVS, and I noticed this woman with long, whitish hair with a few silver streaks. She DID need a trim of 2-3", (in my eyes), which would have left her about 2" above waist. I almost passed her by, but she turned around and she had the most glorious, sweet face. I'm guessing she is between 60-65. She had no bangs, but she had the most beautiful hairband and clips adorning her locks. Obviously, she took great pride in her hair.
     So, silly me, I told her that she had awesome hair. She laughed and declared that that was strange, as ALL her friends had been nagging her of late to "get it cut already". "It's my own color, you know", she added, suddenly feeling confident enough to boast a bit. I replied that those friends must be all women to advise such a crazy thing. Indeed, it was so. I assured her that men would think her hair beautiful. She laughed again and thanked me, and as I left I added that I hoped she'd always keep it long. Sometimes, It pays to be nervy, if you have something good to say to someone, I suppose. Embarrassed Bob

Edited by Bob S - December 05 2009 at 1:40pm
paper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2009 at 5:54am
ahhh that was sweet of you to compliment that lady. I would of loved to seen her hair. I'm sure you made her day. Maybe now she will keep her long hair and not listen to those women!
tdouty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdouty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2009 at 2:17pm
I commend you, Bob, for speaking up.  I try to do the same, but it's difficult to get up the courage to say something ... afraid the lady may think you're some sort of freak or something.  There's a lady where I work who has lovely long hair with streaks of gray in it.  I think it's just gorgeous and I've told her so.  Once I spoke up a couple other gentlemen in the group spoke up as well.  She said she was thinking about getting it cut and donating it to Locks of Love as she had in the past a couple times before.  That was almost a year ago and she still has it long so maybe the compliments helped??  It's about waist length now and as pretty as ever.  I have a hard time speaking up to somebody I don't know, but find it  a little easier to speak to somebody I know.  As you heard in your experience, I think many of these women are hearing from their female friends that they should cut it off so they look more like the other chop-jobs.  The ladies need to hear the compliments as well or they begin to think that maybe the nay-sayers are right.  What do the ladies here think?  Do you like it when a gentleman off the streets compliments you on your hair or do you think he's hitting on you?  Do you ever hear compliments from "strangers"?

Here are two updated photos of my lovely Jennifer's hair.  Last time her hair saw any scissors was well over 3 years ago.   Since that it's just been growing and growing.
http://www.jetwetfun.com/tmp2/DSC_0537.JPG
http://www.jetwetfun.com/tmp2/DSC_0544.JPG

Edited by tdouty - December 07 2009 at 2:18pm

1c.m.ii
36" as of January 14, 2008
cwa14n3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cwa14n3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2010 at 9:29pm
Bob S.,
You are the Man! Good for you stepping up and being a friend, just when that lady needed one most! I am married, 20 plus years. But I still will complement a lady, and have helped a few ladies back from the edge of getting chopped to please the hair Nazis. I have picked up my shears and done the trimming of the ends and been thanked as a great friend, when I told them they must do a good deed for a new friend or stranger to pass along the kindness, and cursed by jealous women, that I "ruined their efforts to get ____ to finally cut her hair". I don't need to hit on a lady to honor her womanhood, I can do so upfront, without asking her name/number. And just asking her to respect herself.
PS. do keep Jennifer's ends neat, don't let the salon nazis hack her crowning glory!
Just Me
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic