Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A warning to all you wannabe blondes...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bettyc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bettyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A warning to all you wannabe blondes...
    Posted: January 15 2010 at 5:35am

Dear All,

This message should be taken as a warning and word of caution, and goes out to all you beautiful brunnettes who long to have blonde hair. Also, at the end of the post, I need your advice please.  Exactly one year ago, I had really long, dark brown (dyed black), thick, glossy black hair - think Nicole Scherzinger....I also had a broken heart - and as a response to this, I had this great idea!Surely a Drastic hair change will change the person I am and make me feel like new...WRONG.

Having employed the services of possibly the best hairdresser in the North East of England, he set about a process of bleaching and stripping my hair....it took 2 strippings, 4 bleaches and repetitive toning...by July last year, I had hair the colour of Gwen Stefani...I also had LESS THAN HALF of the hair I started out with. CHEMICAL HAIRCUT! I refused to be beaten, and upon the reassurance of my hairdresser that there would be no further breakage, as only my roots would be bleached, along  with the toner, I plundered on with the 'maintenance'.

I HATE having roots, so I was back in there every 4-5 weeks, and consequently, I suffered tremendous bleach overlap on the root area, and by November, my hair was snapping around the crown and centre parting.
Devastated? You bet I was! And it was costing me a FORTUNE.

Finally, on New Years eve 2009, following an emotional Christmas and illness, I relented, went to a different hairdresser (also a friend) and was returned to dark brown/black. Do you know, the colour returned to my face, the moment the dark dye was applied. My hair is in better condition, but it will take YEARs to grow out the bleached hay that is now my hair, and yes, it still breaks, alot. I can only colour my hair now with Nice and Easy Loving care - I'm so terrified of more breakage, and I have had to invest £60 in a Mason Pearson Pure Boars hair brush, to preserve the little hair I have left. So here I am, finally accepting who I am, and my natural hair colour, but all too late. I will have to wait to get my beautiful long hair back.
So all you dark haired girls, who long to be golden - let it be. Honestly, you can enhance your natural beauty in other ways. Be yourself. Brunette has depth, class, mystery and intrigue. Stay away from that bleach. I hate myself for what I have done to my poor hair.
If any of you have any suggestions on what I can do to maintain / prevent fade in my black colour ontop of my bleached hair, without damaging it further, please do let me know, any suggestions would be most greatfully recieved.
B x
michellelee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michellelee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2010 at 12:11pm
I did the same thing to my hair just in a different way but with the same results.After so long of just ruining my hair over and over. I'm with you sister!

Be the person your dog thinks you are
Bettyc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bettyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2010 at 12:16pm

Thank you! Glad I'm not the only one, I feel so bad about it, its made me rethink everything I do - I'm taking much better care of myself now, eating better, sleeping better, just trying to stay positive and happy. Yep, I had to fry my hair before I finally learned self acceptance! x

karen s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karen s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2010 at 1:14pm
Hi Bettyc, I was sad to read your post all that you personally have went through, gladly and happy to see your getting there hunnie.

I also agree with the use of bleach, I am a hairdresser, but I hate using bleach, I very rarely use it and only in foils on pre coloured hair. If I can use a hi lift blonde colour on a client then thats what I opt for instead of bleach. Although saying that sometimes I get a client persistent in wanting bleach blonde, but I refused to do it, explaining the damage bleach causes to the hair, as you already know that.

I don't know if when you went back to the hairdresser who coloured your hair back to dark brown added a filler before applying the colour. As many months of bleaching the hair causes the hair to be very porous, therefor any colour added back will fade quicker. However the more you apply your now colour to your hair, the more the colour will grab onto the hair, be patient hunnie, your hair will look healthy and glossy again.

Thank you for your post, although it was a tough time for you, you are making people sit up and listen to the problems constant bleaching does to the hair.

Keep smiling x

Edited by karen s - January 15 2010 at 1:15pm
karen sanderson
Bettyc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bettyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2010 at 1:38pm
Thank you so much Karen, its great to get a professional view on this. The hairdresser did put a red filler on first, and one of a red shade suitable to carry darkest blonde to Black. Since the first filler and colour, I have been back again, and just had a darkest brown semi permanent.  My main concern now is, can I safely continue to use a semi-permanent colour, or should I just stick with colours of the 6-10 washes variety (no peroxide or ammonia) untill my hair is stronger? (I'm thinking 6 months to a year). I'm assuming these 'rinses' will do no harm, and I suppose my mega porous hair may even grab it a little.  
Thanks for your support xx
karen s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karen s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2010 at 1:45pm
Your more than welcomed. You can use a semi colour, semi colour will cause no damage to your hair, they are very gentle on the hair structure, However if you do feel the semi is continuously fading after only a few washes, then best you opt for a permanent colour don't worry as the permanent colours use a low peroxide of 20 vol (6%). Then you only need to have any roots done every 6 to 8 weeks if need be.

karen sanderson
Bettyc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bettyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2010 at 1:55pm
Brilliant - thanks, I think I'll stick with the Semi Permanent for a few months, then see how its doing condition wise. Its great when its dry, but still so fragile when its wet. I notice most when I wash it - the little dark hairs dissapearing down the plughole! Gah! I feel sick with it! Sadly I think thats been happening all the while I've been blonde, I'm only noticing it more now my hair is dark.  Trying to minimise how often I wash it too.
Thanks for the advice, to be honest I've been freaking out every time I see Peroxide even on a box of semi-perm colour, but I know now that the damage is non-existent compared to that caused by bleach. If only all colourists were as concientious as you are. My last salon was quite an 'edgy'  place - they get you to sign the disclaimer, then press ahead with pretty extreme processes, and really there is no comeback when it goes wrong. And to be honest, making a complaint is not going to fix my hair, only time and care will do that now. Thanks xxx
karen s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karen s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2010 at 2:09pm
What? They asked you to sign a disclaimer first, oh you should have ran out the door as fast as you could. I have never ever heard of this before, except when a client is requesting a hair treatment, and the stylist is given the client caution of more damage to their hair(if the client has already damaged/chemically treated hair)

As I said your hair will get back to normal, may take a while, but it will.

A wee tip if you can avoid applying too much heat to your hair, then go for it. In saying that I can not live without my GHD's

Karen x

karen sanderson
Bettyc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bettyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2010 at 2:14pm
haha I've given my GHDs to my mum on long term loan - wont be touching them for a looong time! Thanks Smile x
karen s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karen s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2010 at 2:20pm

Lol, Well when your mum gives them back to you, Please use a heat protector on your hair, you can apply a spray protector before you blow dry your hair, and it helps protect your hair will all heated equipment.

Look after your hairWink x
karen sanderson
candycane626 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote candycane626 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2010 at 2:05pm
I did a similar thing. Dying my hair from brown to blonde was the worst thing I could have done. I would kill to have my brown back! Now, whenever I color it, the brown fades to orange because of the blonde underneath.

Everyone, be careful when dying from brown to blonde! Think of all of the touch-ups, not to mention that you're going to have issues getting it anywhere near normal color again... I wish someone would have warned me!
Jojoswr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jojoswr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2010 at 1:03pm
I love my bleach blonde hair. I condition, condition. Have my roots done every 3 weeks. I seldom blow dry or use any heat on it.

I do know I have to be very careful with it. My opriginal bleach was from my natural medium brown hair. Now it is a very light natural blonde.
I use a purple shampoo and conditioner all the time an deep condition at least once a week.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic