Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bad bleach job....need help please!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mngal217 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mngal217 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bad bleach job....need help please!
    Posted: February 08 2010 at 3:02pm
My daughter is a natural blonde.  She really wanted to have black hair so a couple of months ago we used a box dye by Revlon Brown/Black.  Now that her blonde roots were showing she said she wanted to be blonde again. 

Keep in mind that I am not very educated on home hair dying and we went to CVS Pharmacy and picked up a box of Clairol Nice and Easy Born Blonde Maxi.  It said it will work on black hair the first time.  Well that wasn't the case for us.  After leaving the product on for 90 minutes, the max time allowed, her hair turned out awful.  The roots are white, the rest of her hair is orange/red/brown.  She looks like a calico cat! 

We are desperate to find out how to correct this.  We cannot afford to go to the salon.  What would be the best way to fix her hair?  I realize she may not be able to be blonde but how can I get it a solid color without ruining her hair?  Would it be ok to use a light brown dye to cover this horrendous color she has now?

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!
karen s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karen s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2010 at 2:51pm
A lot of people make this mistake. Once you apply a permanent colour to the hair, and then try to lighten it with another shade, this is what happens. The colour will lift the roots as its new hair growth, but wont lift the rest right out, as colour wont lift colour. Bleach or colour removers are needed.

If your going for a light brown shade your daughter will need to fill in the roots first with red/gold filler, if she doesn't she will end up with root glow( roots will be lighter than the rest of her hair.) Only do the roots with the filler. Then apply your target shade over all the hair, following manufactures instruction.

Karen
karen sanderson
mngal217 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mngal217 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2010 at 2:41pm
Hi Karen,

Thank you for your response and much needed advice.  What my daughter is really going for is platinum blonde.  Although I realize this is a difficult level to reach.  So I don't think we are going to even try to achieve that.  We went to Sally Beauty Supply and the clerk told us to get 2 packets of Clairol Professional Kaleidocolors in beige and Salon Care 40 volume lift.  I have to admit I am afraid to use this stuff since I am not very educated on hair coloring and I am afraid to damage her hair or scalp. 

At this point her hair doesn't seem too damaged.  We have been using ION conditioner for stressed hair and it really made a difference.  

She is still orange with the white roots and actually has some patches of darker hair too.  She tells me it's fine and says her friends like it.  Teenagers.....lol.  So, maybe we should just let her hair get healthy again since she can tolerate it and wait until I can afford it to be done professionally?  I am very undecided about what to do. 

What I understood from your reply was to fill the roots with red/gold filler before coloring if she wants light brown.  What would I do to achieve a light blonde?

Thanks for your help!! 
karen s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karen s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2010 at 1:34pm
Depends on what tone of blonde your daughter is wanting to achieve.

However your daughter will need to get the darker patches of colour out of her hair first, before applying any blonde colour.

To be honest I really would recommend you let the professionals tackle this as its a colour correction, and can be tricky for someone without the know how to try and tackle. The important thing is to keep the damage to your daughters hair to a minimum. Sorry but thats my professional opinion.

Karen
karen sanderson
JillV View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JillV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2010 at 2:25am
Clairol Nice and Easy Born Blonde Maxi IS BLEACH,not color. http://www.clairol.com/niceneasy/born_blonde/index.jsp

I just used it myself on a strand test two months ago and got blond after 60 minutes.It is said to work better/faster if you cover your hair with a cap.(I didn't,but it may help you)

I think it also said if you don't achieve the results you want the first time,you can use it again.I would try calling CLARIOL and asking for their advice,they have hair color experts who are pretty nice and can tell you step by step how to fix something like this.I've called them a lot of times,LOL...

If you don't want to use it again,you could TRY using a medium or dark ASH BLOND color.The ash will help with the reddish tones.Of course using a brown color will work too,but if you do brown,I wouldn't choose one too dark.
Bleached hair tends to grab color and it could come out black looking.

Edited to add you can call 1-800-clairol or go to their website and have a one on one chat for free http://www.clairol.com/ask-clairol/chat-now.jsp

Edited by JillV - February 26 2010 at 2:34am
LisaMarie337 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LisaMarie337 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2010 at 2:58pm
when bleaching your hair from a black it is going to take a good month to two months to get back to blonde! You must bleach in stages doing deep conditioning treatments afterwards, like sleeping with conditioner on her head. You are gonna have to bleach her hair maybe 2 more times depending on how red and dark it still looks. Each time it will look better. But you have to get all that color out so you can even the hair out. Once it's about an orange color get Lo'real Extra Light Ash Blonde Pro Keratine. this is really healthy dye and works great!! I just had black underneath and a dark reddishy brown ontop and have been going through this process myself. I did have some damage. You must be patient she will not be blonde over night. If you have a Sally's beauty Supply store near you go there and get some good conditioning treatments like Ion has some great stuff. You want anything with Protein in it. There;s a protein treatment they have that works great also the ION 3 step Emergancy Treatment saved my hair. I hope you get her to the color she wants. Also at Sally's you can get Shimmer Lights Shampoo that will help tone down any orange or brassiness in the hair. Good Luck!!
Hair & Makeup Obsessed!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic