Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hair crisis

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
juliap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juliap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hair crisis
    Posted: June 17 2010 at 4:07pm
I need a hair intervention.  I have been growing my hair for a long time now.   I always go through this cycle I grow my hair and get it almost to my goal length and then decide it is too full of splits and go get it cut.  I usually go to the salon about once every two years. 

I am trying to grow my hair about two or three inches past my brastrap.  I would love to have waist length but I gave up on that idea a long time ago.  Right now the tips of my hair go a little past my brastrap.  I once tried to keep up with the splits and keep it reguraly trimmed but my hair never grew that way.  So finally I decided my hair will never be without split ends and just decided to grow it with the splits. 

I am almost to the length I want and my plan was to reguarly trim it on my own once I got to the length I wanted.  I figured that way I might be able to get rid of the splits.  My hair is so full of splits though that I am thinking maybe I should start over again.  The underneath is actually shorter than the top because I keep snipping the splits with the scissors.  The top always stays pretty nice without too many splits.  I don't understand what I do to cause it. 

I have wavy hair that I air dry naturally.  I use a boar bristle brush which may have some nylon bristles I am not sure.  I just wait till it dries to detangle then I just brush it after it dries.  I don't ever style it I just sometimes use mousse and scrunch it. 

Do you think I should cut it and start over?  I would have to cut it shoulder length to get rid of all the splits.  or should I just wait and try to trim it once I reach the length I want?         Thanks
Miss Burgundy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miss Burgundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2010 at 10:49am
I was going to suggest just snipping them off, but I see you already tried that.

Is your bbb hard or soft? I bought a hard bbb before I learned about the difference between hard and soft bristles. I have fine hair, and when I went to use it, the bristles were breaking my hair off! I saw short strands of hair floating to the ground with every brush stroke. When a hair breaks it's very prone to become split.

Also, your not supposed to de tangle with a bbb. It's mostly used for smoothing out already de tangled hair and for helping to spread around oil when you apply it or for moving the natural oil from the scalp down to the ends. Try using a wide tooth comb with no seams. Start from the bottom few inches, then when the bottom is all smooth, go up a few more inches. When you come to a tangle don't rip through it. That breaks hair and sometimes pulls it out of your scalp. If the comb wont de tangle it then use your fingers to unknot it.
juliap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juliap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2010 at 8:38am
My bbb is mixed it has some hard and soft bristles.  Some of the bristles are so hard I not sure if they are boar bristle or not.  When I bought it I thought it said 100% boar bristle.  I guess that is my problem that I detangle with the brush.  That is one reason I liked the bbb that I had because I was able to get it into my hair unlike the really soft ones.  That is probably why the underneath of my hair is bad because that is where I always get tangles.  I guess I need to start using the comb to detangle I just can't seem to make myself do it that way.  I hate the way it feels to detangle with the comb it pulls so much and the brush does not seem to pull like the comb. 
   I guess I need to get anothe bbb.  Should I get a softer one?  Also I will try and start using the comb and see if my hair impoves.  Thanks for your help.   
Miss Burgundy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miss Burgundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2010 at 5:13am
If you like your bbb, you could hold off on getting another one. It might not be because of the hard bristles. Just try to detangle with a comb first and you could use your bbb after or for smoothing your hair out if it starts to get messy or whatever. But if your still getting splits after that, then yeah, you might want to get a different one.

When I first started using a comb it felt awkward for me at first too, but I quickly got used to it. It wasn't because it was pulling though. Actually, I'm not sure what you mean. Are you talking about it pulling on tangles? If a tangle wont come out smoothly with a comb then work on it with your fingers.
cwa14n3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cwa14n3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2010 at 8:25pm
What type of water do you have at home? If you have city water with chlorine, it will dry out your hair. I am a fan of my wife's long locks, I keep them neatly trimmed. To aid in the minimize of damage, I installed a shower filter to remove the chlorine and she has been trying "Making Water Well" products for the last couple of months. The shower filter is a quick screw on between the pipe and the April Shower Supreme filter and then the  shower head, so even renters could use one, no plumber needed. Changing the filter is easy as well. Also try a wide tooth detangling comb with the ball tips. Leave a little conditioner in your hair, it makes combing it out easier. As I am sure you are aware, start from the bottom, and comb small sections, don't try to do the full amount. I saw a woman using a fine tooth comb at the beach a couple weeks ago, trying to comb her shoulder length hair, she was tearing it up. So techniques do matter.
Just Me
Sparrowhawk1161 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparrowhawk1161 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2010 at 9:17am
The topic is about a woman who wants long hair...right?  I don't see anything about how she can grow it longer?

Fine.

I'll do it!

Hair growes in cycles.  A growth stage, a dorment one,  then fallout.

You need to know you growth cycle.

If you have tried to grow your hair out and it only goes so far before split ends happen, you know the length your hair grows naturally.  That's it!

I'm sorry!

Hairs grows and then stops growing.  This is when they stick around for split ends.  Those hairs are old.  They will eventually fall out and new hair takes its place

But, you can cheat!

NO it's not a college exam were you cheat on a test!

It's your hair...and cheating is allowed.  Thank God for cheating!

The three most important items in any hair care product...soap, oils, protein!  This is basic chemistry that has been going on for thousands of years.  Soap strips the hair of dirt.  But, it also strips the hair of natural ingredients.  Oil puts back what soap destroys...Your hair has pores... Oil puts back in the natural nice looking sweat that your had.  Protien strengthens your hair.

Before shampoos, like 100 years ago, woman used to use lye soap, olive oil and eggs!  Yes they did..they'd put this strange mixture through their hair...with something to make it smell pretty, too...then they wear it up.  After all that work...what?

Yuck...but, smart!  The three basic ingredients.

What do you need?

There are some shampoos and conditioners that hydrate hair... put it on the ends... look for something oily.  Not just slick so you can comb through it... I mean oily!  Check "weke" for oils that are good for your hair!

Now for protein...check the label...look it up on "weke" and you'll find out if it's a protein.  If you some strange thing you find something that says dehydrated animal protein..yes!  Your on the right track!  That will definately strengthen you hair!

The only problem with doing research like this is you'll find that animal protein comes from dead animals!

That's totally gross!!!...isn't it?

But...that's where you find it. (Could you imagine all the woman finding out that the protein in makeup and hair products come from dead animal kill?)

Yuck..yuck...But true!

Dehydrated animal protein comes from something that is going to replentish your hair with the vital ingredients you need!  Thank every dead one of them!

They will give you beautiful lush hair.

Those special oils and protein will allow your hair to stay in the hair follicle.  That means it will grow longer.  That's what you want!

Eat!  You have no idea how eating can effect your hair.  You need to be healthy!  Eat protein and vegetables...and other thinks you don't want in your stomach.  Your hair needs them!

Last...there is vitamins...look for anything that says "hair and nails."  Nails are only fused hairs together...biologically.  Those vitamins have the special engriedents that help your hair and nails to grow.

Do you want long hair?  Find protein and oils!

Hints..don't wash your hair to death.  If your hair grows slow, the last thing you want is to strip your hair from everything it has...cheat, again...where it up... down...then up again!  Wait until the last possible moment to wash it.  Have a hair weekend off!

Tell your boyfriend that if he doesn't like it...HAVE HIM WASH IT!

That will bring interesting results!

Your own hair stylist...get them off there dead butts and make them work for a living!  If they can build things they can wash long hair!

That takes half of the problem away...right?

Of course!

So that's the scoop.  plain and simple!
Guys like me notice!
AutumnLocks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AutumnLocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2012 at 3:26am
You also might want to try to find some shampoo and conditioner without "cones".  Some people's hair react badly to silicone in any form.  You have to read the ingredients and see if there is anything that ends in cone.  Fructis makes a really good one called Pure Clean.  Also you might try some oill.  A lot of people find that it helps. You don't have to spend a lot of money on these products either.  Wal-Mart has a great selection of the less expensive hair care products.  Fructis, VO5, Tresseme' are all good and don't cost much at all.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic