Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tangle prevention

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
confucious View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote confucious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tangle prevention
    Posted: July 23 2010 at 3:30pm
I have been researching all week to try and find a solution to tangles that occur after I play shows. I am a metal guitarist, have hair that is roughly two and a half feet long, and headbang on a rather regular basis.

My hair, believe it or not, looks rather healthy as of this moment, but I know that can take a turn for the worse if I don't do something to try and stop the tangles before they start.

So first thing's first... putting my hair up is out of the question. Simply cannot do it. I know of only one product specifically for this purpose: http://www.inthewindinc.com . However, they appear to have ceased production.

I am aware that there may not be a specific product to help me out, and I'm ok with that, if something else can be done. My best idea that I've come up with is to gel the ends of my hair in some way to keep them in strands - this would retain the effect that I'm going for, without having to deal with tangles. At least that's how it works in theory. I'm not sure what product to use for this, nor would I have any clue as to how to apply it to achieve this.

Edited by Karen Shelton - July 29 2010 at 11:43pm
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2010 at 10:04am
I would suggest oils. You may have to sample a few to find the one that works best for your hair type, but my favorite is coconut oil. I got Now brand at the organic grocery, but I'm sure there are many other brands, and ones you can buy online. My hair is mid back length and I use very little, just a drop or two, then brush it through. It should not make your hair look for feel oily, nor should it get on your clothes (if it does, you used too much and you'll have to wash it out and start over). It not only does wonders to keep tangles away (even on my dry hair which has been bleached), but it reduces frizz and makes hair very shiny too. I only use it from the ears down to keep the scalp area looking and feeling clean.

It will collect on your brush after awhile and distribute it without you even adding more, you may want to have two brushes, one for scalp area, one for ears down, or just wash your brush every day or so.

I have also tried jojoba oil, but it makes my ends feel crunchy and makes me want to cut them when it really isn't necessary. You may have to see what works best for you.
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2010 at 11:51pm
I agree with Susan and would suggest the same thing.  I made my own formula which is called HairTopia Beautiful Hair Oil and when I want to keep the oil to a minimum I use the spray version.  

My oil is jojoba based and it keeps my below-the-waist hair from tangling, especially underneath.  The other option is to keep your hair in a HairGlove until you play.  I have tried coconut oil but it makes my hair feel greasy.  I know lots of people like coconut over jojoba but some prefer the jojoba.  The best thing to do is experiment.

You also might experiment with braiding just the sides of your hair starting at the hairline and pull that back with each side joining at the back of the crown.  You could let all the rest of your hair flow freely but having the braids would add a little bit of control.  Or you could experiment with braiding the underneath hair where it might tangle and wear the rest free.  I might try a variety of twists or braids that allowed you to wear your hair down but minimize tangling.

You are right.  If your hair becomes too tangled you may risk having to have it cut.  When tangles get too tight, especially in long hair, there are limited removal options.

You could also experiment with coating your hair with shine serums in the areas that are most prone to tangle.  This would slow the tangling down.

Hair Gloves were originally designed for motorcycle riders with long hair who wanted to keep their hair down but keep it somewhat controlled in the wind.  It may not work for you but it is worth considering.  The guy who created Hair Glove have extremely long hair and wears these all the time. 
You can check out Hair Glove at:  http://mp.hairboutique.com/Hair-Glove/B/1154 
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic